HOW TO: Check your Ball Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skrracing

Reaction score
OK guys, This is not a tech write up but just a guide to help you find out if you have bad lower ball joints. If you do not feel good about doing this yourself or you do not know how to do this in a safe manner...then by all means take you KJ to a shop or dealer nad have them check your ball joints for you.

Please use good judgement while doing any work on any vehicle.

Again...do not do this if you have not read all of this or feel you might doing something wrong or unsafe. This is just a guideline not a step by step tech article.

Place your KJ on a level driveway and set the parking brake.

Place a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift the tire off the ground about 3 inches. The jack must be uner the conrtol arm and not anything else. You are unloading the spring from the ball joint. if you lift any where else this test is not going to work.

Use a pry bar or 2x4 and slide it under the tire that is lifted. Use enough force to see if there is any play by lifting and releasing the tire. Do not apply too much lifting force to knock the vehicle off the jack.

See if you feel any play...but also have someone else watch to see if there is any play in the balljoint.

If you fell or see any play the ball joint must be replaced. Do not delay on having it replaced because it will at some time seperate and the whell will come off your Jeep.

If you do not feel any play or see any movement for sure...Then your lower ball joint should be good.

While you still have it lifted go to the top of the tire and try moving it from side to side...Push and pull it to see if you feel any play. If it is bad it will have a very small bump or pop feel to it. Again do this slow and dont do it hard enought to pull it off the floor jack.

If you have any bad ball joints.. have it repaired and then PLEASE repot it to the other link I post about ball joint failures.

Thanks. later...Clint

Here are a few pictures that might help.

You must be registered for see images

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post.

A good and necessary write up. I always have check my ball joints when I have my tires balanced. I did the yesterday at 15,000 miles and everything was ok. I had just has them balanced at 12,000 miles, but they were beating me to death. I had them done at the dealership when I took it in for some body work/12,000 mile service and had tire pressure sensors added. The guy obviously didn't know what he was doing, each wheel was double weighted and apparently that is a big no-no. Everything rides smooth now and I have piece of mind over my ball joints.

Keep up the good work Ball Joint Spokesman!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skrracing said:
The jack must be uner the conrtol arm and not anything else.

Sorry for my supidity, but where are the lower control arms? Is it the one I highlighted in red? My Jeep was shaking a bit, and my auto ****** shifter is a little loose/wobbly? It is an 2002 with 60k+ miles. According to the Jeep.com website the recall was done, probably by the previous owner.

You must be registered for see images attach

KJ2005

Reaction score
ball joints

good thread especially with the recall for lower ball joints

Boiler

Reaction score
Am I correct in my understanding that even if Jeep.com says all recalls have been performed I should still continue testing this and having the ball joints replaced under lifetime recall? I just got my Liberty last month and I'm trying to get everything up to ***** and keep it there.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely something to watch. My KJ's LBJs were replaced twice under the recall. That was before I hit 30k miles. I haven't gone with the Moog units yet, but that's on the list. It's only got ~47k miles on it now.
Hey, has anyone noticed that some lower control arms are painted black, and some aren't? The LCAs on my KJ were black from the factory. Was that only 02-03?

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I need to get my lower ball joints replaced again and I want to confirm before I take the money out of pocket that I will be reimbursed by Jeep once the work is complete. Thanks for the help.

Am I correct in my understanding that even if Jeep.com says all recalls have been performed I should still continue testing this and having the ball joints replaced under lifetime recall? I just got my Liberty last month and I'm trying to get everything up to ***** and keep it there.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I need to get my lower ball joints replaced again and I want to confirm before I take the money out of pocket that I will be reimbursed by Jeep once the work is complete. Thanks for the help.

Safety recalls that haven't been performed are on the dealers dime. Go here: Safety Recall Information | MOPAR. Enter your VIN, and it will show you what recalls have been performed and when, and which ones haven't been done.
You say "replaced again". If this means the ball joints were already replaced through the recall, then no, you're on your own.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely untrue. I've been speaking with the recall people and safety recall repairs are guaranteed for 10 years, if it failed due to the stipulations of the recall. In this case, it will have to fail due to water intrusion. I would pay out of pocket for the diagnoses, and once the dealer reports the failure, the cost of the repair will be covered.

If this means the ball joints were already replaced through the recall, then no, you're on your own.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely untrue. I've been speaking with the recall people and safety recall repairs are guaranteed for 10 years, if it failed due to the stipulations of the recall. In this case, it will have to fail due to water intrusion. I would pay out of pocket for the diagnoses, and once the dealer reports the failure, the cost of the repair will be covered.

When a recall is issued, the manufacturer has a legal obligation to cover the repair at no cost, as long as the car is no older than 10 years (based on date of sale) at the time of the recall. Older than 10 years, and they don't have to do the repair for free, although they can and do as a good will gesture.
I would like to see where it is stated that a previous recall repair has a 10 year warranty. I have never seen nor heard of that one.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's according to their recall people. If the dealer determines it was water intrusion, they say it will be covered.

Last edited:

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said because it's a warranty thing now and I'm lifted it's a no go. They said the ball joints were good, but I looked the other day and one has a ripped boot.