HOW TO: Change your Power Steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time Needed: 30-45 minutes

Items Needed:
  • Turkey Baster
  • 2 quarts of Power Steering Fluid or ATF+4 (check your owner's manual)

Steps:
  1. Remove power steering cap and remove as much fluid as you can with the turkey baster.
  2. Pour in new fluid into the power steering reservoir and screw cap back on and start engine. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock for a few minutes. (About 10-15 times) Do not stop between turns.
  3. Turn engine off.
  4. Repeat Step 2 and 3 until you finish the first quart. This is to get as much of the old fluid out.
  5. Finally, pour in your fluid one last time until it reaches the "hot" line on the power steering reservoir.
  6. Your finished. Repeat every 7,500-10,000 miles.

Last edited:

SavageUrge

Reaction score
My question is: How in the heck are you supposed to get the cap off? There is no way for mine to come off because it is trapped underneath part of the windshield cowl and a wiring loom. I can get to it enough to loosen it, but I can't get it off to access the fluid.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is: How in the heck are you supposed to get the cap off? There is no way for mine to come off because it is trapped underneath part of the windshield cowl and a wiring loom. I can get to it enough to loosen it, but I can't get it off to access the fluid.

I don't know if they changed anything post-2002, but mine is near the battery to the right of the serp belt. Care to post a pic? There was plenty of room to remove the cap and suck out/fill up the fluid.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't know if they changed anything post-2002, but mine is near the battery to the right of the serp belt. Care to post a pic? There was plenty of room to remove the cap and suck out/fill up the fluid.

It was the same on my 2004... and my sister's 2005.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS pump is in the same place on al KJ's from '02-'07(CRD's not included).Do you know where your oil filter is? If yes then the PS pump is right above it,it has a white plastic resivoir and a yellow plastic cap.You must be trying to remove the ****** dipstick if it is by the firewall.If you don't know where your oil filter is you will see the PS pump just to the left and a little down from the battery,also a little under the upper radiator hose.If you don't know where the battery is or the upper radiator hose is take it to a shop cause you shouldn't be under the hood.This is only for gas KJ's.

SavageUrge

Reaction score
The PS pump is in the same place on al KJ's from '02-'07(CRD's not included).Do you know where your oil filter is? If yes then the PS pump is right above it,it has a white plastic resivoir and a yellow plastic cap.You must be trying to remove the ****** dipstick if it is by the firewall.If you don't know where your oil filter is you will see the PS pump just to the left and a little down from the battery,also a little under the upper radiator hose.If you don't know where the battery is or the upper radiator hose is take it to a shop cause you shouldn't be under the hood.This is only for gas KJ's.

OK, thanks. I am quite familiar with the oil filter so I shouldn't have a problem locating it. As for what I was attempting to remove the cap on, it is located just underneath the wiper cowl in the far right corner of the engine compartment (if you're looking at it head on). What is this round reservoir? I'll try to get a pic of it if you can't find it. I have a manual ****** so I don't have a dipstick.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I am quite familiar with the oil filter so I shouldn't have a problem locating it. As for what I was attempting to remove the cap on, it is located just underneath the wiper cowl in the far right corner of the engine compartment (if you're looking at it head on). What is this round reservoir? I'll try to get a pic of it if you can't find it. I have a manual ****** so I don't have a dipstick.
The only 2 reserviors next to the firewall is the coolant overflow(left side) and the brake master cylinder(right side),since you have a manual then you will also have the clutch master clinder on the right side,that must be what you are trying to open.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related TSB

Steering - Power Steering Fluid Usage

NUMBER: 19-005-03

GROUP: Steering

DATE: Aug. 29, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 19-007-01, DATED AUG. 2, 2001, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
Power Steering Fluid Usage

MODELS:

1993 - 2003 (AB) Ram Van
1994 - 2004 (AN) Dakota
1994 - 2002 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup
2004 (CS) Pacifica
1998-2004 (DN) Durango
2002 - 2004 (DR) Ram Pickup
1996 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
1995 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
2001 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Sedan, Stratus Sedan1 Sebring Convertible
1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible
2002 - 2004 (KJ) Liberty
2002 - 2004 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)

1993 - 2004 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker/300M
1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Voyager/Caravan
2002 (PG) Chrysler PT Cruiser (International Markets)
1995-2004 (PL) Neon
1997 - 2003 (PR) Prowler
2002 - 2004 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
2001 - 2004 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 - 2004 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1993 - 2002 (SR) Viper/Viper Coupe
2001 - 2004 (ST) Sebring Coupe/Stratus Coupe
1997 - 2004 (TJ) Wrangler
2003 - 2004 (VA) Sprinter
1999 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
2003 - 2004 (ZB) Viper
2004 (ZH) Crossfire

DISCUSSION:

The factory fill power steering fluid for most 2004 model year Chrysler Group vehicles is ATF+4 (MS9602) and it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures. WJ/WG and ZH vehicles use unique power steering fluids. Refer to the table to identify factory fill and the approved service power steering fluid by year and model. Note that MS9602 is Red in color and MS5931 and MS9933 are Amber/Yellow in color. All three fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

The part numbers for MS9602 are 05013457AA (quart) and 05013458AA (gallon). The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart). The part number for MB345 is 05127381AA.

MS9602 should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on systems requiring MS5931. On some past models, MS9602 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a power steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with MS9602.

NOTE :This bulletin supersedes owner's and service manuals for the vehicles listed above that may state to use MS9933 in the power steering system, and that may state not to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system.
----------------------------------------------

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an alternate method

These are the materials: A 60cc syringe (I brought this one in a drug store) and a section of plastic tubing (I found this one in a hobby shop. It intended use is for pouring fuel to RC toys).
You must be registered for see images

Considering that my KJ was manufactured before 2004, it has power steering fluid instead ATF+4.

The power steering fluid reservoir cap is in the yellow thing in the center of the picture.

Here the reservoir is open.

Here is a picture of the syringe extracting the old power steering fluid.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, I like that syringe! :) Makes it much easier.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 2 quarts is enough to fill it up?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really one takes about 1/4 qt to fill it up. The 2 qts are to flush out the old fluid.

Yep, that's what I am going to do, since I don't know what they've put there previously. I bought myself some tubes, and a turkey baster, will suck them out and replace, so 2 qts will be enough, right?

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what point do you know you have sucked out all of the old stuff? Complete color change so that it looks exaclty like the fluid you poured in?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to suck as much as possible, no way. I bought similar tubing, but that tube is not going in all the way in. So I just sucked as much as possible and just dumped the new one in. It was enough to smoothen the steering and the nasty grinding noise was gone.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A plastic hand pump, from the auto parts store used to pump gear oil in to your front and rear differentials would be a quicker way to remove the fluid than using a turkey baster.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory fill power steering fluid for most 2004 model year Chrysler Group vehicles is ATF+4 (MS9602) and it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures.

BODY:KJ
YEAR:2002 - 2004
FACTORY FILL POWER STEERING FLUID:MS9602
APPROVED SERVICE POWER STEERING FLUID:MS9602

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/19-005-03.htm

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that syringe that Alex is useing.........hmmmmmmm. I might just have to scrounge up one of those.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online