HOW TO: Change headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) Reach behind the headlamp unit from the engine compartment side of the upper radiator crossmember to access the headlamp bulb lock ring (Fig.23).
You must be registered for see images

(3) Firmly grasp the lock ring on the back of the headlamp unit housing.
(4) Rotate the lock ring on the back of the headlamp unit housing counterclockwise about 30 degrees.
CAUTION: Do not contaminate the bulb glass by touching it with your fingers or by allowing it to contact other oily surfaces. Shortened bulb life will result.
(5) Pull the lock ring, socket, and bulb straight out of the headlamp unit housing and up from behind the upper radiator crossmember (Fig. 24).
You must be registered for see images

(6) Disconnect the grille opening reinforcement wire harness connector for the headlamp bulb from the connector receptacle on the bulb socket.
(7) Remove the bulb and bulb socket from the lock ring as a unit.

INSTALLATION
CAUTION: Always use the correct bulb size and type for replacement. An incorrect bulb size or type may overheat and cause damage to the lamp, the socket and/or the lamp wiring.
CAUTION: Do not contaminate the bulb glass by touching it with your fingers or by allowing it to contact other oily surfaces. Shortened bulb life will result.

(1) Position the headlamp bulb and socket unit into the lock ring (Fig. 24).
(2) Reconnect the grille opening reinforcement wire harness connector for the headlamp bulb to the connector receptacle on the bulb socket.
(3) Position the lock ring, socket, and bulb down behind the upper radiator crossmember and align them with the socket opening on the back of the headlamp unit housing.
(4) Push the socket and bulb straight into the headlamp unit housing until they are firmly seated.
(5) Position the lock ring over the socket and engage it with the flange on the back of the headlamp unit housing (Fig. 23).
(6) Rotate the lock ring on the back of the headlamp unit housing clockwise about 30 degrees.
(7) Reconnect the battery negative cable.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just had to change a headlamp bulb on my 2005 Liberty Limited, and it might help some people to know that it's a slightly different procedure, because there is no lock ring.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative terminal.

2. Disconnect the bulb power cable.

3. Locate the flexible rubber weatherseal that protects the back of the headlamp and pull it off. This will reveal the back of the bulb, held in place by two wire clips.

4. Unclip and remove the bulb.

Installation is reverse of removal.

I ought to point out that the first time I did this, I spent about ten minutes fruitlessly trying to turn a non-existent lock ring! There was so little working room behind the lamp that I had no choice but to disconnect the left-hand side of the fusebox so that I could lift the box out of the way. Once that was done, I could actually see what I was doing, and hence realised that there was no lock ring on this type of headlamp.

ferraricheals

Reaction score
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) Reach behind the headlamp unit from the engine compartment side of the upper radiator crossmember to access the headlamp bulb lock ring (Fig.23).
(6) Rotate the lock ring on the back of the headlamp unit housing clockwise about 30 degrees.
(7) Reconnect the battery negative cable.

This is the 'traditional' procedure - almost certainly guaranteed to result in at least one or two skinned knuckles!

Here's the insider's method:

First remove the grille - no tools required, apart from the ones we are blessed with by mother nature - our two hands. Just a matter of lifting the top edge of the grille so the retaining lips are free of the radiator support, then it can be lifted out of the space between the lights.

Each headlight unit can then be released by undoing the two bolts which hold them in place, allowing the light assembly to be lowered forward, thus giving much easier access to the rear.

You can then follow the above procedure, but actually see what you are doing.

While on the topic of headlights, I agree with various comments made on other posts - the KJ was designed for halogen bulbs, not HID's, you are better to fit a good pair of higher quality halogen bulbs (higher output/longer life) and fit auxiliary long-range lights (HID if this is what you prefer) for the wilderness driving.

ciao! outtahere.gif

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the headlights (one blown, replaced both / kept good one as spare)... The above tips were very helpful, although I will add my comments:

1 - My 2005 Sport has the "lock ring", so in spite of AVR2's experience, it appears it is not a model year difference, unless it changed mid-05 at some point.

2 - ferraricheals' method of removal of the grill then remove the headlight units by removing two bolts made the job very easy on my fat fingers! It may take a little longer but it is really much easier than trying to do it from behind (that's what she said!)

The only difference I found was that my 2005 Sport has the fog lights in the grill, making accessing the second headlight bolt difficult. I was able to get at it easier if I removed the one bolt holding the fog light adjuster, as I was then able to push it slightly to the side and get a socket on the headlight bolt.

I should have taken a picture, sorry! I will pop off the grill and take a pic referencing what I am referring to next time I have the Jeep in the garage.

Latest posts

Members online