Fog Light Mod to 65 Watt Upgrade (02-04)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Since Jeep Projects Site went away and many links inside this site no longer show how to mod the tab and install the brighter bulb...this will help !!

This fog light Mod applies to those with KJ 2002-2004 -Maybe some 2005's?
54010[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The stock yellowish OEM fog light bulb was only 42 watts.
54012[/ATTACH]"]

The upgrade uses a white 65 watt F-150 high beam bulb. (9005 ST)
I chose to use Sylvania SilverStar, you could use a PIAA or Phillips Extreme.

One plastic tab on each bulb needs to be trimmed away, for it to fit into our KJ socket.
I used a hot knife heated on a propane torch to make the incisions, cut in like butter.
An access hatch inside each fender well (trap door) allows swapping bulbs easily.
54014[/ATTACH]"]

Here you can see with my PIAA low beam 9007 and with the brighter 9005ST fogs, the color is nice & white, and fogs are now sweet!"
54016[/ATTACH]"]

Huge Improvement with the brighter fog bulbs! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• vXPk9NI.jpg
    vXPk9NI.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
  • XHad5BW.jpg
    XHad5BW.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 3
  • vfG43gQ.jpg
    vfG43gQ.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2scW6jG.jpg
    2scW6jG.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No issues with extra heat on the lens at all. No discoloration either.
These fog housings seem to offer good interior room.
No issues with wiring, they just work well!

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be considering this for sure. There is a fog light upgrade for the JK that uses these: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Perform...052&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=203w+pilot+lights I'm not even sure what size the Liberty fogs are, but I'm going to look into it and see if it will work on the KJ. I use the fogs on all my vehicles all the time, day or night.It's just a habit of mine.:shrug:
I can't see your pics,(home PC internet is out so I am tethered to my phone, I don't know if that's why I can't see pics??) but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for the thread!

Bert

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this alive for my new kj. Will any 9005 bulb work with this mod or it has to be the “ST”

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking cause there are alot of options for 9005 but only a few for 9005st. Ideally i would get them to match my nighthawk headlights.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking cause there are alot of options for 9005 but only a few for 9005st. Ideally i would get them to match my nighthawk headlights.

"ST" is just hte letters Sylvania adds to the end of the 9005 style number to designate the "Silverstar" brand they created.

If you want GE Nighthawk 9005's, then buy them. Here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-9005NHP-BP2-Nighthawk/dp/B002UX1T78

Those are a much higher color temperature and while they "appear" brighter when viewing head-on, they actually and scientifically put less light onto the road- I have also found that a lot of these 6000K+ bulbs get washed out under sodium and mercury vapor street lamps.

Give me 5200-5700K bulbs any day of the week over any of that HID-mimicking crap.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i am using the reg nighthawks in my head lamps not the platnium but they are a bright white. I like them seems to project more light down the road than the standard sylvanias i had. Thanks for the reply.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i am using the reg nighthawks in my head lamps not the platnium but they are a bright white. I like them seems to project more light down the road than the standard sylvanias i had. Thanks for the reply.

NP. Post some before and after pics up to this thread when you get it done. Be interested to see, and make sure some of the pics, if you do any at all, are from inside the vehicle, not just standing outside or in front of the Jeep.

Headlights always look brighter viewed head-on. Doesn't give a good representation of what the driver sees.