CV axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weezy

Reaction score
Ok so I just had a guy replace my driver side CV axle & a week later it fell out. Can someone please tell me what he may have done wrong or neglected to do??

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it fell out of the diff he likely left the snap ring out. He probably thought he'd have to open the diff to do it right, but it pushes in and locks in place from the outside.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
I need to replace outer boot or complete cv shaft on front right. How do I disconnect axle at differential? I have climbed all over the front replacing the hub, the upper control arm, lower ball joint, etc. Just can't see how the cv axle disconnects from the axle housing.

Also, I had to drop the factory skid plate to remove the rack & pinion to replace the mount bushings, when I did that I noticed that the rear nuts for the skid plate, inside the crossmember, were loose, not fixed/welded to the inside of the crossmember, no access holes to put a wrench on the nut, how do I hold nut to tighten them back?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to replace outer boot or complete cv shaft on front right. How do I disconnect axle at differential? I have climbed all over the front replacing the hub, the upper control arm, lower ball joint, etc. Just can't see how the cv axle disconnects from the axle housing.

Also, I had to drop the factory skid plate to remove the rack & pinion to replace the mount bushings, when I did that I noticed that the rear nuts for the skid plate, inside the crossmember, were loose, not fixed/welded to the inside of the crossmember, no access holes to put a wrench on the nut, how do I hold nut to tighten them back?

Remove not from wheel bearing, remove the spindle ( or I do since its simple and get it out of the way ) Some only remove one ball joint , but pull CV out, most times intermediate shaft comes out as well. Replace both, do not replace one or the other

Depends on how skid was put on, should be rivnuts in the cross member, ( hate the things never use them to attach skids ).

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
tommudd thanks, I found my Chilton and it said to "pry" the shaft off with a pry bar or large screwdriver, similar to what you are saying, to pull it off. Sounds easy enough.

These are the factory skid plates, and when I went to remove the front one under the front diff, rack & pinion, etc. the bolt came loose from the nut inside the crossmember and then they both just started spinning. With no way to get a wrench on the nut inside the crossmember I can't tighten them back down. I guess they were fixed to the inside of the crossmember at some time? Just trying to figure out best way to reattach skid plates securely.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
So, when I pried right side cv axle shaft away from axle housing it pulled the axle shaft out of the axle housing, don't think it's supposed to. Do I have to open diff housing to properly seat the axle shaft via the snap ring? Popped right out, won't snap right back in.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, when I pried right side cv axle shaft away from axle housing it pulled the axle shaft out of the axle housing, don't think it's supposed to. Do I have to open diff housing to properly seat the axle shaft via the snap ring? Popped right out, won't snap right back in.

Perfectly normal since most do not grease the splines. intermediate rusts solid to the CV.
Put the new , yes new do not use the old intermediate, put it in then the CV, very simple
I've changed more than 35-40 never had tom pry one out

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
Perfectly normal since most do not grease the splines. intermediate rusts solid to the CV.
Put the new , yes new do not use the old intermediate, put it in then the CV, very simple
I've changed more than 35-40 never had tom pry one out

So, I need to buy a new axleshaft too? :favorites68:

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
If not the Intermediate shaft ( that is already worn ), will wear out the new CV
So...... axle shaft ??
You need to replace the CV and Intermediate shaft

Maybe I'm confused by the term Intermediate Shaft, are you referring to the axle shaft that is supposed to stay in the axle housing or the shaft between the CV joints on the drive axle?

Semantics?