Back Up Cam install (02 Liberty)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fiery.Geekess

Reaction score
I have lurked on this forum for a while and always been able to find so much help in this community. I figured it was about time I joined and just so happened to be stumped with a problem I can't find a clear answer for.

I have installed a new stereo in my 02 Jeep Liberty sport and everything went smoothly until I tried to install the included back up cam. As I understand it I am supposed to hook the cam into the reverse light wiring for both power and to switch the video feed on when in reverse. The problem is I cannot figure out which wire that would be.

As far as I can tell in my research the rear lamp doesn't have a dedicated reverse wire, so that leaves me wondering if there is another way to hook up the cam? Is there a wire I can tap into in the rear light to get the desired effect?

I can live without the camera but I figure you can never have too many helpers especially when backing up. I have seen options for hooking the camera into the main power for the head unit which wouldn't be a problem except I still need a way to signal for the screen to kick to the camera when in reverse and only in reverse.

It is totally possible that I am misunderstanding the former posts regarding similar situations but I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out and see if I can work this out.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting the vehicle in reverse doesn’t trigger your screen to change? Can’t you just take one of those quick connectors or something and clamp it to each wire until it works or you’ve done something similar and it still doesn’t work?
I’m just confused I guess
My thinking is if you tap into any one of the wires for the reverse lamp and it provides power to the camera, that should send a signal back to your radio that it’s receiving that power and in turn, change the screen to the cameras live feed
Or is your issue that you’re able to get power to the camera but the screen won’t change once put into reverse?

Latest posts

Members online