another one How to replace fuel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all - forgive me my English, I'm from country far far away...

Second - if you are not completely sure your old filter is faulty or if you want to replace it "just in case" (in my case) - then don't! you will make some irreversible changes to your rig, which could lower it's market value.

There are two ways to change fuel filter on KJ
1) disconnect everything and lower the fuel tank
2) open up "hatch-door" in trunk.

I went second way as it was recommended in service manual. I'm still not sure it was right decision.

in order to open that "hatch", you will need to drill out two rear tie down anchors and open up trunk carpet.
then take a heater and cut out a foam around a hatch door with a knife.
unbolt 4 nuts and carefully open it. don't put much force - this door bends easily.
you will see two out of three filter lines. disconnect wiring from pump and crank engine till it wont run, to lower fuel pressure in line. prepare some soft tissues or similar, because lines still have a lot of gas in it.
disconnect two quick fittings.
now get yourself under vehicle and unbolt fuel filter nut, you will need to disconnect some lines from leak detection pump and evaporator to do it.
now disconnect last, third, fuel filter fitting. enjoy the shower of gas over yourself. disconnect filter's ground wire and remove filter.
install new one, connect all tree fittings and bolt a filter's nut. don't forget ground wire.
then cleanup "hatch" door and place around it from old foam and RTV, put new RTV on it and reinstall the door. get the carpet back in place.
now you will have something to do with tie-down anchors. you will have to figure out how to bolt them in place.
I wonder why chrysler's engineers put so much efforts with this hatch door, (which is too small to easily replace fuel filter) and they din't come up with idea of having easy way to replace anchors, with a screw or like.

Also, notice a difference of fuel filter's fittings on photos. old one has thick line bended on right angle, and new one hasn't. new one is Crown's 52100402AF. Although this "thick" fitting doesn't leak, as I checked, I don't like the way it connects and presses on "thin" line.

Good luck with fuel filter replacement =)

Attachments

• ????-0256.jpg
    ????-0256.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 624
  • ????-0258.jpg
    ????-0258.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 561
  • ????-0259.jpg
    ????-0259.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

Moab

Reaction score
Thanks, Moab. I've learn a lot from these forums. now trying to payback.
Sharing info about these Libertys is helping all of us and what the forum is all about. If we haven't done the particular job yet it is probably in the future.
Thanks again

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size rivets are those? I replaced my filter but don't know how to install new rivets. I saw black nylon ones at the part store as well as aluminum rivets but they were all different sizes. Is there somewhere on the internet that sells the exact one I need and how do I install them?

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you all are resealing the hatch? I never did that to mine an it has been about...3 years now or so with it like that. It is
closed but removable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have here another way on how to replace a fuel filter.. this is very helpful because of the step by step procedure on it...
That way is a super generic way and not much use on a KJ.Besides you can not releive fuel pressure by loosening the gas cap,you must pull the pump fuse(or relay) and start the engine and let in run out of gas or locate the pressure test port on the passenger side fuel rail and relieve the pressure there.

Miguel Escobar

Reaction score
I tried to change on mi kj renegade this filter but does not have i ask and some one in the jeep told me that this version does not need, is this possible?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. And curious. I was under the impression that the filter was non-serviceable and built into the pump assembly.

Latest posts

Members online