Wire Run for Backup Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrpullam

Reaction score
Hello, I’m currently planning out a reverse camera installation for my 2004 library but I’m having trouble finding the best way to run the wire from the back outside of the car inside to the head unit.

I was wondering what suggestions you all had. I want to try and avoid drilling holes which I have seen some people do.

Im new to this and am just hoping there’s a way to do it which I’ve just overlooked.

- Thank you all in advance

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the same thing, here are my ideas so far:

mount the camera inside the vehicle looking through the rear window, (not my favorite idea because it isn't very beneficial)

mounting the camera in place of the center cap on the spare tire, removing the rear wiper assembly and using the hole as a pass through for the wire (running the wire through tubing between the camera and hole for the rear wiper)

bumper mounting the camera and running the wire through the opening for the tail light wiring.

getting a spare taillight housing and mounting the camera in one of the tail lights.

my favorite idea for functionality of the camera is the spare center cap option becuase it would be the ideal height and it would be protected from the elements, but i worry about the wire shorting in the transition boot.

the tailight idea is in 2nd place only because of the offset camera angle.

Mrpullam

Reaction score
I do like the spare tire cap idea. It is quite interesting (and something I hadn’t even thought of). It would put the camera at an ideal height in my opinion and there’s a pretty clear pathway to run the wire.

So in this setup would you still be getting the power for the camera by tapping into the wire running power to the reverse light, or would you suggest going a different route?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the spare tire cap idea. It is quite interesting (and something I hadn’t even thought of). It would put the camera at an ideal height in my opinion and there’s a pretty clear pathway to run the wire.

So in this setup would you still be getting the power for the camera by tapping into the wire running power to the reverse light, or would you suggest going a different route?

the backup camera i have is run by the pioneer deck that it came with, I haven't looked at the manual too closely, but from the looks of it, the camera is powered and controlled by the deck, no other inputs needed.

TBH, i was never crazy about the thought of tapping into any of the factory wiring so i would probably run a dedicated power wire for the camera.

righopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the same thing, here are my ideas so far:

mount the camera inside the vehicle looking through the rear window, (not my favorite idea because it isn't very beneficial)

mounting the camera in place of the center cap on the spare tire, removing the rear wiper assembly and using the hole as a pass through for the wire (running the wire through tubing between the camera and hole for the rear wiper)

bumper mounting the camera and running the wire through the opening for the tail light wiring.

getting a spare taillight housing and mounting the camera in one of the tail lights.

my favorite idea for functionality of the camera is the spare center cap option becuase it would be the ideal height and it would be protected from the elements, but i worry about the wire shorting in the transition boot.

the tailight idea is in 2nd place only because of the offset camera angle.
Bumper mounted mine below the spare and sufficiently above the hitch to allow visuals for backing to a trailer.

It's survived without trailer smash nearly a year and is perfectly functional (I back into parking always). Wire is tiewrapped behind bumper to enter at right tail light. Reverse leaf is tied in at right rear lamp. Wire run under right floor trim, then up interior front right kick panel, behind false fuse box panel, the through dash interior behind glove box to the deck.

I mounted my bluetooth mic to hook to the overhead interior light factory penetration. Wire is run (use a metal coat hanger- straightened- to fish) above the headliner to the right front door trim. Run behind trim, down to false fuse panel and to deck with camera wire.

Using a satellite radio antenna cable adapter and 20 wire extension' the deck can be connected to you factory satellite antenna cable near the right rear tail light wiring access. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=722065

Happy rigging. Love my double DIN Pioneer deck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bill chase

Reaction score
I removed my trailer hitch and mounted the camera directly to it so it is within inches of the ball/reciever. Makes backing up to a trailer a breeze, and it is well protected. Occasionally I have to wipe the lens off. But it works great

Latest posts

Members online