Took apart a "premium" speaker yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I blew my right door speaker I've been researching new systems.

As I had another blown speaker laying around I thought I'd dissect it for the good of humanity. OK, I confess - I wanted to see if I could salvage the connector.

Anyway, here are the pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you did it......it's broke for sure.........:D

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not a freaken amp, thats just a cross over!

And all this time I thought those were little amps... Geeze..

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does the crossover even do? Can i just replace these "premium" speakers with new ones? Seems like its a huge scam! Does anyone know what size they are? Can you buy aftermarket speakers with 3 holes in them? Weird....

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does the crossover even do? Can i just replace these "premium" speakers with new ones? Seems like its a huge scam! Does anyone know what size they are? Can you buy aftermarket speakers with 3 holes in them? Weird....

The crossover routes the tweets to the tweeter on that side. It also routes the audio the the rear door speaker for that side.

You can put regular speakers in the door BUT you need to "jump" the rear door in and out together so you will have sound in the rear.

Alternately you could run new wire to the doors.

I'm about to embark on a new HU and speaker installation in my KJ so I'll be able to confirm the wiring below. Waiting on a 28lb. box from Crutchfield!

This should (might) be the wires in the front door connector:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, those weren't amps? So this is the reason why rear speakers get "left-over" crap after stock HU powers front woofers and tweeters!?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I suggest going to Best Buy or whoever and getting some Infinity Reference Series 6.5" component speakers....you won't be dissappointed.:D

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"You can put regular speakers in the door BUT you need to "jump" the rear door in and out together so you will have sound in the rear."

how do i "jump" the rear door in and out together? does that mean just running new wires to it?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
"You can put regular speakers in the door BUT you need to "jump" the rear door in and out together so you will have sound in the rear."

how do i "jump" the rear door in and out together? does that mean just running new wires to it?

Not sure if that would be in and out but Yes you need to run new wires to all speakers if you get rid of stock system. Plus the tweeters, if you have them, won't work unless you get another x-over.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest going to Best Buy or whoever and getting some Infinity Reference Series 6.5" component speakers....you won't be dissappointed.:D

Without a subwoofer any aftermarket speaker, including Infinity Refernce (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?tp=95&tab=review#tab) will sound weak. Stock system is not meant to have crisp and clear sound, but to compensate for lack of subwoofers by feeding more bass to the front door speakers. Replace stock "premium" system without a subwoofer, you will probably have much weaker bass.

If anyone is going to change stock system, do it right, just get infinity reference component system (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086020cs/Infinity-Reference-6020cs.html) , keep the stock rear speakers or get rid of them completely, and pair this with a nice subwoofer. But in all honesty, I think stock "Infinity Premium" system is very nice compared to other components they used in the car. I see no reason to swap the speakers unless they blew or started crackling.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do i "jump" the rear door in and out together? does that mean just running new wires to it?

Here is the connector in the front left door that attaches to the amp on that speaker.

Here are the input and output wires to the rear speaker "jumped".

With the new HU plugged into the factory harness (with the adapter) all sound will be routed where it needs to be without running any new wires.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSA announcement here:

If you clip wires on a factory connector ALWAYS leave enough wire on the connector side so you can bring it back to stock.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, done with the speaker installation (Infinity 6022si - front and rear) and got the HU done today.

I changed the wiring in the front doors, tying the dash speakers to the front door speakers. I was worried at first about the resistance, the new speakers are 4 ohm (as is the dash speaker) and if you wire those in parallel - it becomes a 2 ohm load.

I cannot detect a difference in the front to back fader so I think I'm OK.

FYI - both the front and rear door speakers are 2 ohm.

All I have to do now is wire the steering wheel control module and figure out where I want the microphone for my cell phone.

Here is the final wiring for the front right door.

The only wires left in the connector was the power wires for the amp.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the wiring diagram I posted above is correct for an '02 just not the pin numbers. I went by the wire colors and verified it with my multi-meter, they were spot on.

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone here said "The crossover routes the tweets to the tweeter on that side. It also routes the audio the the rear door speaker for that side'

A crossover blocks specific frequencies from going to certain separates IE tweeters,mids,subs...

If you run a tweeter directly from the head unit without a Xover you will blow the tweeter. If you run a sub without a Xover you will get "full range" out of it.

In a good system you need to separate the sounds that go to each speaker.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone here said "The crossover routes the tweets to the tweeter on that side. It also routes the audio the the rear door speaker for that side'

A crossover blocks specific frequencies from going to certain separates IE tweeters,mids,subs...

If you run a tweeter directly from the head unit without a Xover you will blow the tweeter. If you run a sub without a Xover you will get "full range" out of it.

In a good system you need to separate the sounds that go to each speaker.

Valid points.

I have a hundred mile drive tomorrow and will see what happens.

Right now it sounds very good with the dash speaker wired in.

Also that was me that said that...

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to elaborate a little more.

I wired the left side speakers W/O the dash speakers and the right side with.

A/B tests sounded better with the right side dash "tweets" in the circuit. Now, are they actually tweets or are they full range speakers that actually play what's given them?

I think the latter...