Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Electronics

Electronics

OBD plug and play gauges

This is a discussion on OBD plug and play gauges within the Electronics forums, part of the General Forums category!
What do ya'll think of the Edge Insight CTS2? I've been going back and forth on buying the pillar pods ...

GPS, Stereos, Car Computers, CBs, and Gadgets!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OBD plug and play gauges

What do ya'll think of the Edge Insight CTS2? I've been going back and forth on buying the pillar pods to run some extra gauges for trans temp and oil pressure, but lately I've been thinking of just dropping the money on this.

https://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cts2-84130/

I'm NOT looking for a tuner or something stupid like that, I simply want something that allows me to monitor the vitals of my Lib accurately since I don't exactly trust the dummy gauges on the dash. BTW, it goes for less on Amazon for around $330.

The biggest upside to the Insight vs getting some pod gauges is the amount of vitals you can monitor in a minimalist package. It comes with everything necessary to install as well. To me, it seems well worth the money. The only two others I've seen that are similar are from Jet (Which seems just plain old outdated) and the Bully Dog Watch Dog (Which is similar but with less features).

****sold****
2004 Light Khaki Limited KJ
Mopar hitch receiver, Borla exhaust
LT245/75/16 Mastercraft AXT's
Skyjacker 3" lift(Junk)
ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I followed the link and then tried to see if it would work on a Liberty, but Jeep products were not listed. You might have pick a Dodge product with a 3.7L close to your Liberty's age.

I was planning to get a couple extra gauges to monitor oil pressure and transmission oil temp. What I don't like is you still have to run a small tube from the gauge to some place to tap into your oil/trans. That means hot oil through the firewall into the crew compartment

With electronics the way they are you should be able to put a sensor directly where you want to monitor and send an electrical signal back to a readout.
tigerKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tigerKJ View Post
I followed the link and then tried to see if it would work on a Liberty, but Jeep products were not listed. You might have pick a Dodge product with a 3.7L close to your Liberty's age.

I was planning to get a couple extra gauges to monitor oil pressure and transmission oil temp. What I don't like is you still have to run a small tube from the gauge to some place to tap into your oil/trans. That means hot oil through the firewall into the crew compartment

With electronics the way they are you should be able to put a sensor directly where you want to monitor and send an electrical signal back to a readout.
From what I've been reading it should work, I'd need to call the manufacturer to be for sure, though. Like I said, it's not a tuner, just a monitor.

IIRC, there was only one manufacturer for pillar pods for the Lib. On top of that you could only add in two gauges. Also the fact that you'd have to route wires, tap into certain things I don't want to, etc. The Insight CTS2 goes beyond that into a simpler package with what seems to be more capability. Route the provided wire to the OBD II, plug it in, mount with the supplied windshield bracket and go. Operates as a code reader also.

****sold****
2004 Light Khaki Limited KJ
Mopar hitch receiver, Borla exhaust
LT245/75/16 Mastercraft AXT's
Skyjacker 3" lift(Junk)
ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you find that it works, let us know as I bet several Liberty owners would like to have the extra information available.

I remember when cars had several gauges, including a voltage gauge instead of just an idiot battery light.
tigerKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Have you considered the apps? Torque for android or dashcommand for ios? anybody using these? That edge insight does look good though, just pricey! I've been looking to get a gauge app for some time, just never pulled the trigger, always something more in the priority line for me to get, even though the apps are cheap,along with the ELM cable.

Bert
boboborino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Scanguage II works for me and clears codes
Dave, VAPoorBoy and twowings like this.

Last edited by John3seventeen; 11-02-2015 at 10:42 AM.
John3seventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

^^yup, I have a scangauge in mine too and it works good.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rocking a couple different ones. I use my Samsung S5 Active with Torque Pro and use mirrorlink to display on my avh-x4700bhs double din. Also use my Lenovo x201 laptop/tablet with various different software(including drbiii).

Sent from my G870a on 38's
TwoBobsKJ likes this.
the_dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a Scanguage II in my Silverado and an Ultraguage EM Plus in my Libby. The Ultraguage has many screens and works great. I have the wired version. Here's a link to their site.
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Mopar skids, Detours Backbone, 265/75/16 Goodyear Authoritys, Rear "DIY" aluminum cargo shelf. Kenwood KDC-BT758HD CD-Receiver. Midland 75-822 CB, Firestik II with quick disconnect, K&N air filter. UltraGuage EM Plus. Tom Mudd 3.5" Econo lift from JBA. JBA sway bar quick disconnects. JBA UCAs. PML aluminum transmission pan with Autometer transmission gauge. Rear sway bar removed and rear drive shaft "neutered".
VAPoorBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by John3seventeen View Post
Scanguage II works for me and clears codes
Ooooooh, pretty!

"Love talking Jeeps with Jeep people...ordinary people just look at you and tilt their heads like dogs." - T. Hubbard

2004 KJ Sport 3.7L NV3550 "Lil' Blue"
Build Thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/04-...il-blue-57644/

*Posts powered by Ubuntu MATE 16.04
twowings is offline   Reply With Quote