listening to cb without mic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkoen01

Reaction score
So what's the deal? When I disconnect my mic, the cb will not receive....it's a uniden pro520.....and no, the speaker is not in the mic :cool:

is there some way to trick the cb into thinking the mic is there? don't really want the mic and cable floating when I just want to listen.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd have to consult the mic wiring diagram, buy a cheep mic that will work for your radio, turn the plug into a stump with 'just enough wire' to ground the correct wire(s)

as tiny as the wires are in cb mics it's honestly probably a lot more trouble than it's worth

last time i rewired a cb mic it turned into a big mess :(

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal? When I disconnect my mic, the cb will not receive....it's a uniden pro520.....and no, the speaker is not in the mic :cool:

is there some way to trick the cb into thinking the mic is there? don't really want the mic and cable floating when I just want to listen.

Thats odd.. I haven't seen a CB yet that didn't work without the mic.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've seen a few, mostly grant and uniden and only with certain mic pinouts and if i recall correctly they were all talk-back enabled radios which ground differently in regards to the tx/rx modes and the units speaker

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I had a uniden also, and when the mic was unplugged, you didn't hear anything. It's not that is is not receiving, just that you don't hear anything because the speaker is (-) grounded through the mic, like a loop back. That is odd they do that, but, they do. You will have to find the right pin to ground, then it will work.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its the speaker ground then couldn't you just tap off a wire from the speaker negative to the chassis or circuit board ground inside to accomplish the same thing rather than doing anything with the mic jack?

I guess i haven't run across any of these models, but then its been years since i played around on the chicken band.

The talkback would make sense as to why its not working if the radio had that, never thought of that and never owned a radio with that feature.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's as simple as "ohming" out the mike plug and placing a short between the pins.

But why would you want to disconnect the mike? Would it really save that much space?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
additional option would be an external speaker, inserting the jack to the external speaker, ie: headphones, or an aux line that plugs into your head unit(dash radio) if you have one similar to what's in mine should resolve the missing mic ground as well

that's actually something I do from time to time - plug an aux line similar to what you can use for offbrand Ipods and plug it into my stereo head unit and put the CB/SSB output audio through my jeeps speakers

Latest posts

Members online