Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Electronics

Register to remove these ads.

Electronics

listening to cb without mic?

This is a discussion on listening to cb without mic? within the Electronics forums, part of the General Forums category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! So what's the deal? When I disconnect my mic, the cb will not ...

GPS, Stereos, Car Computers, CBs, and Gadgets!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default listening to cb without mic?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
So what's the deal? When I disconnect my mic, the cb will not receive....it's a uniden pro520.....and no, the speaker is not in the mic

is there some way to trick the cb into thinking the mic is there? don't really want the mic and cable floating when I just want to listen.
tjkoen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

you'd have to consult the mic wiring diagram, buy a cheep mic that will work for your radio, turn the plug into a stump with 'just enough wire' to ground the correct wire(s)

as tiny as the wires are in cb mics it's honestly probably a lot more trouble than it's worth

last time i rewired a cb mic it turned into a big mess
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
So what's the deal? When I disconnect my mic, the cb will not receive....it's a uniden pro520.....and no, the speaker is not in the mic

is there some way to trick the cb into thinking the mic is there? don't really want the mic and cable floating when I just want to listen.
Thats odd.. I haven't seen a CB yet that didn't work without the mic.
kb0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

i've seen a few, mostly grant and uniden and only with certain mic pinouts and if i recall correctly they were all talk-back enabled radios which ground differently in regards to the tx/rx modes and the units speaker
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I had a uniden also, and when the mic was unplugged, you didn't hear anything. It's not that is is not receiving, just that you don't hear anything because the speaker is (-) grounded through the mic, like a loop back. That is odd they do that, but, they do. You will have to find the right pin to ground, then it will work.
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

If its the speaker ground then couldn't you just tap off a wire from the speaker negative to the chassis or circuit board ground inside to accomplish the same thing rather than doing anything with the mic jack?

I guess i haven't run across any of these models, but then its been years since i played around on the chicken band.

The talkback would make sense as to why its not working if the radio had that, never thought of that and never owned a radio with that feature.
kb0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's as simple as "ohming" out the mike plug and placing a short between the pins.

But why would you want to disconnect the mike? Would it really save that much space?
LibertyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

additional option would be an external speaker, inserting the jack to the external speaker, ie: headphones, or an aux line that plugs into your head unit(dash radio) if you have one similar to what's in mine should resolve the missing mic ground as well

that's actually something I do from time to time - plug an aux line similar to what you can use for offbrand Ipods and plug it into my stereo head unit and put the CB/SSB output audio through my jeeps speakers