LED interior lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i added all white LED interior lights including adding lights under the dash on driver and passenger side and and under the driver and passenger seat (for the back) It looks awesome except for the fact whenever the jeep is on they in the dome lights stay on but very dim, but if my jeep off they off as normal. I narrowed it down that is it the rear dome light, and if that bulb is removed it doesn't do it...
Its the not bulb cause i've swapped them all up, anyone know if there is something in the rear dome light assembly to cause this??

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have LED added to front dome light,it barely glows when Jeep is on,figure just the nature of the beast.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have LED added to front dome light,it barely glows when Jeep is on,figure just the nature of the beast.

Haha, its not that i mind them but at least for now its slightly distracting at night. I keep looking at them and wondering why/how its doing it?!?
But i also think its looks kinda cool and tell people that i did that on purpose. :D

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this to mine as well. Can I ask where you got your lights? And about how much total did it cost?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this to mine as well. Can I ask where you got your lights? And about how much total did it cost?

I actually got them off ebay. They were $6 shipped for a set of 2 that had 8 LEDS in each. They are very bright and look great.
The ones i added under the dash and seats were a 10 LED strip that were $2.29 a piece shipped.
So in total i spent $10 for under the dash lights and $12 for the domes. Also the rear you only need one, but a buddy of mine bought my extra one cause he also needed just one for his Audi :D

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so can you take a picture of what it looks like at night?
i really want to do this, but i like my darkness at night while driving.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so can you take a picture of what it looks like at night?
i really want to do this, but i like my darkness at night while driving.

Heres a couple i just quickly got, all without the flash, and i gotta say its even brighter in person!
You must be registered for see images attach

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow I love them!!!
can you show pictures of what they look like when off... like everyone is saying they are dim...
also... what did you type in on ebay to get them so cheap?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow I love them!!!
can you show pictures of what they look like when off... like everyone is saying they are dim...
also... what did you type in on ebay to get them so cheap?

I will have to get another picture of them later, but here a link for the exact ones i got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200421936581&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Sorry it wasn't $6 it was $7 for a pair ;)
and they are definably bright enough i bought just one pair to test in the front and loved them not only brighter but i love the true white color! :D
Only bad thing is they come from hong kong and take about 2 weeks to get here....

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you snap some pics in like the next couple hours of what they look like when the car is on and they are dim?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you snap some pics in like the next couple hours of what they look like when the car is on and they are dim?

Yeah sorry its really hard to tell whats going on in the pictures but the first is pointed at the lights you can still tell they are on but its not bright at all barely can tell unless looking at the light itself, the second is through the window, you can barely tell they are on. Also the fronts did not do this at all until i put in the back.
So it could be something with my back housing thats causing it? Not to sure but its growing on me and i kinda like it :D

You must be registered for see images

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah... i could just not put the back in...

Ill be honest its not bad at all having the lights on all the time, it does not actually light anything up. but also you could run without the back i did that for a few weeks but the color difference looks funny!

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with your help, I got 2 on ebay for $6 shipped compared to $6.99 per each bulb and $3.95 shipping!
I can't wait!!!!

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem!
Unless you install one of the bulbs non-LED, they will glow alittle.
It was making me crazy, so i installed normal bulbs near the floor.

The thing is, that the wiring has 1-2 volts constantly.
Now it's not enough to light up normal bulbs, but LEDs need much less to power up, so they glow.

Have the same problem on my friend's H3.
I installed him LED back up lights, so the glow alittle all the time :)

Looks cool though. :)

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem!
Unless you install one of the bulbs non-LED, they will glow alittle.
It was making me crazy, so i installed normal bulbs near the floor.

The thing is, that the wiring has 1-2 volts constantly.
Now it's not enough to light up normal bulbs, but LEDs need much less to power up, so they glow.

Have the same problem on my friend's H3.
I installed him LED back up lights, so the glow alittle all the time :)

Looks cool though. :)

I never knew it had constant power going through it like that but at least now i know its not something wrong with my jeep :D

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max,

Are you saying that if just one bulb in the mix is a regular bulb then none of the LED bulbs will glow when the Jeep is on?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say there is simply some inductance occurring along the wires. Could also just be some volts running out of the BCM since Ive read it turns the lights on and off, a relay does not. Sppose its all solid state and since idk a whole lot about that it may always let a small amount of power through. Personally I think its kinda cool so Im ordering some.

Does the front lights and the rear lights take the same thing? I also have the lights under the dash, do they take the same thing also?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silicon needs +0.7Vdc difference in potential to excite the PN junction and Germanium only needs a +0.3Vdc difference in potential to do the same. If there is always +1 or +2 Vdc on the line, not enough to cause an incandecant to illuminte, there is more than enough to get the LED to glow. By leaving an incandecant bulb in the circuit, you essentially shut down the LEDs because of the current required to heat the element in the bulb. All the current will flow through the bulb (easiest route, lowest resistance) and leave the LEDs to fend for themselves. LEDs are like big freaking resistors until the "knee-over" voltage or threshold voltage is exceeded. Basic diode theory.

Your theory on inductance is not a player in this scenario. Inductance is a property of AC circuits and even then, there would have to be a rectifier somewhere in there or the LEDs would flash at half of the induced frequency. The LEDs would only be excited during the positive going half of the induced waveform.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the front lights and the rear lights take the same thing? I also have the lights under the dash, do they take the same thing also?

Yes the front and rears are the same (well atleast in my 06) The under dash are different i believe a smaller bulb kinda like a 168/194 but im not sure on that because i just wired in a 10 LED light strip since they were cheaper :D
I'm sure someone will chime in on which bulbs the under dash lights take

Last edited: