Led headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my headlights and even high beams suck. Got a random idea to check eBay then amazon and even though our headlights are 7.5" I believe I found 1 on Amazon that has many questions asked and stated that they DO fit the liberty. I wanted to share the below product from Amazon.com with you
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B2O6YCA

So I decided to scroll down just a bit and found another that has a picture of a liberty and the headlights (not on the liberty though). I honestly don't care if there is a 1/2" gap as long as they work probably 100x better than my own. Hell, they are amazon prime and 100% returnable, I asked the question if there was an adapter or what so well see. Then I came here and searched but just found "No" and "Phillips led bulbs". Has anyone attempted? Minor fab? I really need headlight help. Thank you.

Round LED Headlamp Angel Eyes Amber Turning Signal Light Halo Ring 7 Inch High Low Beam DRL Assembly H4 H13 for Jeep LJ TJ JK Liberty Conversion 6012 6014 6015 H6017 H6024 - 2 Year Warranty Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GKCM3H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Xm7bAbXY67F4Y

P.s. no I don't NEED halos or anything foo foo, looking for 100% function and if they look pretty cool then I'm good with that.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just use led bulbs? I been using the jdm astar g2's and the astar led for my fogs they are my current combo until I decide I had time to do a retrofit. Cost less then those funky looking ones lol

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I feel like even my high beams are low, if I aim them up I get flashed, when I have a deer in front of me and slam on my brakes my front dips and my lights go under the deer I'm avoiding. They dont light up anything above the road. My dad has a 2010 Subaru Forrester and the high beams light up the road, trees, deer, and everything! Even my ex girlfriends smart car lit up the road better.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try a better halogen bulb. Use a buffer and some rubbing compound on your lens if they are hazy.
The 2 vehicles you mentioned probably use a halogen or HID projector headlight too

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can assure you that ANY newer car will have better headlights, it’s just how I‎t is.. so really no comparison
A projector housing will always outshine and regular reflector halogen housing, but I would highly advise to avoid any Chinese brand headlight
They’re going to be junk and then you’ll be right back to square one, getting HIDs in your halogen housings or the Philips that everyone talks about
I have HIDs and have never gotten flashed, but being lifted I have to angle them down slightly more.. still get plenty of download light, even if I‎t isn’t enough, I have two light bars to light up anything I need
I’ve seen people take the 7” JK ones and put them inside of the KJ housing with success, but again, I don’t know how well it’d work being cheap and I wouldn’t risk I‎t.. also wouldn’t use LEDs in the stock housing as I have never seen good spread or download light with them, but to each their own I guess
Why not just get a better bulb and some off-road lights that you could use responsibly ( I.e not run them during the daytime) and get as much light as you want?

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried better bulbs, silverstar ultras, I think zxe, they are brighter but not 100% and being brighter of course they cost twice as much and last 1/2 as long. And I'm sure you probably are right about the Chinese LEDs. But if I found out they fit properly then I may decide to spend a little extra and get something nice. My headlights have just a minor haze on them, nothing I'd even consider to dim the light at all though. My 99 miata (non projectors) lit up better than these do. I think what my plan is right now is to find either a 20" rough country light bar or maybe a pair of their 4x4 led or whatever they are and just wire them into my high beams only so I can at least see.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I can't find any Philips LEDs so I may end up trying the JDM Chinese ones eventually. Not like my lighting can get any worse right?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google them. They have fantastic reviews. A cheap eBay Chinese led bulb for $20 will suck.
I'm using the G2. If you can afford it , get the 8th generation

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And I can't find any Philips LEDs so I may end up trying the JDM Chinese ones eventually. Not like my lighting can get any worse right?

With any mentioned yes they will be worse
look brighter but you don't get the distance
read up on danielsternlighting

another one of those things you do not cheap out on

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With any mentioned yes they will be worse
look brighter but you don't get the distance
read up on danielsternlighting

another one of those things you do not cheap out on

Looking on danielstern and might drop him an email. And I hear ya on brighter but no distance. I ordered some cheap leds for my own fog lights and bright as the sun looking at them, but they literally can't be seen on the trees across my driveway 50ft away.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking on danielstern and might drop him an email. And I hear ya on brighter but no distance. I ordered some cheap leds for my own fog lights and bright as the sun looking at them, but they literally can't be seen on the trees across my driveway 50ft away.

You shouldn't get much distance from foglights in the 1st place,would defeat the whole purpose of "fog lights".

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple things going on here.. firstly, something is wrong with your existing headlight setup. So very few describe what you are describing, and we all have the same headlights (at least we all started with the same ones).

If your front end dips that badly when you hit your brakes, you've got suspension problems.

If you can't see in front of you, either your eyes are worse than typical or your headlights are either misaligned horribly, or there is an issue with the bulbs. Heck, at this point, I'd even go so far as to measure voltage at each headlight bulb- it could be you have a voltage drop and are not getting proper power to the bulbs.

And with high beams on, you should be getting flashed at. You're shining the light right into people's eyes.

Also keep in mind that lights that appear bright when you stand in front of the vehicle and look at them, are NOT always bright on the road. A good example is ANY of those blue tinted Xenon filled bulbs.. look like searing hot plasma when you stare at the headlight.. get behind the wheel and it's a joke.

I'd see about getting your Jeep back to where it should be, because it sounds like something is off; then consider options for upgrading. Personally, I mounted a pair of Hella 500ff 55w lights up front, could upgrade to 100w bulbs if I wanted, but I find that those two lights aimed just right are excellent for the dark, back-country roads I drive every day to work; and I have Michigan whitetail all around me, plus 10 miles of 12' deep drainage ditches to contend with. I can see them both just fine.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy local to me is making KJ projector retrofits. Can get you a price if you want?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they wouldn’t even be worth the $500+ they’re usually sold for.. ugly and have never seen down road pics of them after install, owners seem to disappear from this site when asked for the pics that aren’t in front of their garage door :gr_grin:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Dunno? I can get in jeep pics of my 03 stock head lights and my 02 with the G2s at night

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they wouldn’t even be worth the $500+ they’re usually sold for.. ugly and have never seen down road pics of them after install, owners seem to disappear from this site when asked for the pics that aren’t in front of their garage door :gr_grin:
I'll ask for pics of them. It's definitely under 500 and includes the hids.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll ask for pics of them. It's definitely under 500 and includes the hids.

Interested. Will save a lot of time if the price is right
My concern was the size of the projector. Doing these in the past for other vehicles, sometimes your limited to a smaller "fog" light size projector due to the size of the headlight and the output has the cutoff but not the brightest you would expect
I get my parts from the retro fit source

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested. Will save a lot of time if the price is right
My concern was the size of the projector. Doing these in the past for other vehicles, sometimes your limited to a smaller "fog" light size projector due to the size of the headlight and the output has the cutoff but not the brightest you would expect
I get my parts from the retro fit source
I'll ask what size lens the projector has too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cant say much yet, but there could very well be a LED conversion coming out in the future. Using existing LED head lights, looks very promising so far. None of cobbled together stuff you see

Latest posts

Members online