Illuminated Power Window & Lock Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my '05 KJ Sport, it appears as though the only illuminated switches are the front two power window switches in the master switch panel. I have searched various forums, and as near as I can tell, this is a design choice, not a part failure on my KJ - is that correct?

In searching, I found a guy in Greece who added LEDs to his rear power window and lock switches for a Dodge Caliber. Obviously different switches, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to add illumination to the other non-illuminated switches?

I got a spare rear window switch from a salvage yard to experiment with. The switches look identical to the switches I have on my XJ, except those are all properly illuminated. I tore my spare switch apart (how to do that can be found HERE) and I discovered that right smack dab in the middle of the switch... is a preinstalled LED. Why is this here but non-functional?

Before I go any further, I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience in this area.

You must be registered for see images attach

The LED contacts are circled here:

Last edited:

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone more talented in electronics than I am in to figure this out. Good luck!

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - so, apparently I was wrong about the back window switches... for some reason, those are actually illuminated whilst the door locks and the back window switches on the master switch panel are NOT illuminated. I guess I don't spent as much time in the back seat as I used to!

But the door locks, mirror switch, and the back window switches on the front master panel are NOT illuminated. This makes even less sense with the others that ARE illuminated.

I need to get my hands on a front master switch panel to play with now to see about the illumination for those rear switches AND/OR a door panel with the mirror and lock switch.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a hold of a test mirror control switch.

You must be registered for see images

The spots circled in red are where SMD LEDs go - its exactly like my XJ switch, its just missing the LEDs. I am going to make a few assumptions about the voltage for them (guessing its 2-5 volts but I also have 9 and 12 volt to test) and assuming I can get the correct voltage, I think this will be a pretty easy modification.

The window switch is going to be a different story...

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after following the traces, I have determined that the circuit can indeed support LEDs. Pins 3 and 4 are the 12v power and ground leads. I will need 4 low voltage SMD LEDs and one current limiting resistor. I have found all the parts I need on Mouser.com for about ten bucks.

Daimler Chrysler was incredibly stupid in this area. All of the traces are there, its just missing 5 components. If I were buying these in bulk, I could be spending less than a 10 cents on the 5 components. With the 166,883 Libertys sold in 2005, the total savings was, at most, $16,688.30. The original MSRP for a Sport was $20,700. Over the life of the KJ, they saved a shade over $100k - enough to make 5 base Libertys. If DC was that hard up for money, its no wonder they almost ceased to exist in 2008.

After I get this part working, my next challenge is the power lock switches on the front doors. I will be looking to see if an XJ window switch from the back doors will work in place of the lock switch for the KJ. That would be a lot easier than retrofitting LEDs.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on the earlier KJs all the door locks and mirror controls switches were illuminated. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped but my 05 only has the front window switches and the window switches in the back seat illuminated. Maybe its as easy as getting the switches from an 02-04 KJ?

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my test switches from an 03... and they were not illuminated. I haven't checked an 02, but I'd be surprised if they were different.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In post three, I say how I was wrong about the rear window switches... they are illuminated, just hard to see because I'm not in the back seat as often as I used to be. However, the rest except the front two window switches are not illuminated, including the rear window switches on the front master switch panel, the door lock switches and the mirror control. The one I have been working on, because it was so similar to the XJ is the mirror switch. Now that I know what to do there, that's easy. I will see if I can the rear XJ window switches for the front KJ lock switches, since each of those are single switches in their respective vehicles.

Regarding different years having different capabilities... I read some posts here and on Lost, and there is far too much conflicting information. I can tell you with certainty that the switches I have been experimenting on, came from an 03.

Its kinda confusing, and when I get some more success, I'll make an offical How-TO that is much more succinct.

Last edited:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so... this is totally confusing. I found one 2002 and two 2003 at the salvage yard. The '02 had lights in the switches, and one of the two '03 had lights yet the other did not. So I guess they did have them as previously suggested (and debated here and other forums) but stopped putting the LEDs in sometime in 2003.

Perhaps they just used up stock from the XJs and when it ran out they just didn't get anymore?? Totally dumb and even more dumb than I originally thought since they had them at first but stopped for an unknown reason.

The master switch up front is my only concern as it looks like the circuit board is different. Same number of pins, but there are some differences. I'll have to check that out, but in the mean time, I'll just swap in the older switches for the locks and the mirror to get the illumination.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can get the all the switches from an 02 (except for the master window switch in the center console) and they'll light up?

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'll be testing for sure today. I don't see why they wont work at first glance - which is why I hesitated with the master control switch, because it was different. I'll let you know how the test goes.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
failure... and success!... and failure... and sorta failure

The door lock switches do not work... and I can see why. The plug is a 4 wire plug, and at least on the '05 KJ, there are only 2 wires to that plug - the 2 outside wires. The 2 inside wires go directly to the LED (or the spot where the LED should be).

So now I have to see how to tap into a 12v ignition switched wire in the door. I dont know if one exists because the mirror power is on all the time (as far as I know) and the defrost is only on when the defrost relay is on. I don't know if it is possible to tap into the wire for the door lock switch itself or not, and if I do will that cause issues.

The mirror switch worked like a champ - just plugged the old one in and it now glows green as God intended.

And regarding the master front window switch... It plugged in and even illuminated all the LEDs on the older switch, but the front windows don't operate. I was afraid of this because when I looked at the circuit boards, they had obvious differences. I'll see what, if anything can be done there, but I'm guessing that will have to be a hack-job to get the light to those two back switches on that master panel.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After comparing many examples from 2002-2006, I have come to the following conclusions:

• Sometime in 2003, Chrysler decided to stop putting the LED and resistors in the door lock switches and the mirror switch.
  • In 2005, they removed the wire that would supply switched 12v power to the LEDs on the door lock switches.
  • YES - this means that some KJs had the wires but not the LEDs to illuminate the switch.
  • If you have 4 wires going to your door lock switches, this is a stupid simple upgrade. Find a switch from a 2002 (or maybe 2003 - you'll have to take the switch apart to see if it has the LEDs) and plug it into your door and presto, illuminated switches.
  • If you have a 2005 or later - retrofitting the drivers door is relatively easy if you are comfortable with minor electrical work. Taping into pins 3 and 4 of the power mirror switch will give you the 12v switched power you need to run to the power lock switch LED.
  • If you have a 2005 or later - retrofitting the passenger door requires running a new 12v switched power wire thru the door wiring boot. Although this isn't any more technically skilled than the drivers door - it is a huge PITA trying to get another wire thru that boot.

I have successfully done the drivers door, and I'll throw some pics up soon. The passenger door is going to have to wait for now.

Latest posts

Members online