How Much Battery Drain Should I Expect to See?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my 04 Liberty Sport for about the last three or four months. The Libby is sometimes only driven on the weekends but when I go to turn the key I discover the battery is dead.

Today I removed the negative cable and charged the battery with my trusty battery charger. Before I reconnected the negative cable I checked the current draw with none of the doors open. I read about 0.3 to 0.4 amps. After unplugging the EVIC the current draw dropped down to 0.128 amps.

Is my problem that the EVIC is draining the battery or is 0.3 to 0.4 amps typical and that my battery is failing?

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually anything under .5amps is ok.

Did you install the evic or is it factory?

If you installed it, try moving the power wire to a switched power source (only gets power when the key is in On or Run)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
desync brings up some good points. My OEM Mopar battery (made in 05) was going below 12 volts after sitting a couple of days and I replaced it. It was starting sluggish also. That was about 3 weeks ago.

The last time the jeep sat for 3 days and the new battery didn't do that. (it stays in the garage when I am driving the car). Maybe your battery?

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Randy, best thing to do is trickle charge the battery at 2 amp for 24 hours, then load test it. Then you will know if the battery is still good.
You can also use a hydrometer to check specific gravity for each cell,for state of charge.
Since you Kj sits 5/7th's of a week, you could connect this 3.3amp small intelligent charger (CAN TIRE) with ring terminals and it can be left on 24/7 and is water & temp proof.
37544[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I did a whole how to article on maintaining battery with chargers info etc. Hope this can help.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47021

Attachments

• C-TekCharger.jpg
    C-TekCharger.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellows. You've given me a lot to think about.

To answer the question as to whether or not my EVIC is stock or not, it isn't, I added it. Here's some background that may just explain what's going on.

When I initially installed my EVIC I wired the Bat & Acc together (sometimes I'm a lazy electrician). Then I realized that my battery was draining while parked like it is now. I've since corrected my wiring mistake but not before completely draining my battery a couple of times. Likely I've damaged my battery & it needs to be replaced. Heck when I put it on charge yesterday it was below 12 volts. Once the real cold winter temperatures arrive I'm pretty sure it won't turn over the engine.

I'm off to WalMart to get a new battery.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya lead acid batteries really don't like to be deeply discharged, let alone a couple times.

Good call on the new battery!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another update;

This is the suspect battery that I have in my Libby;

Maybe this time I will buy something with less CCA's & a warranty.

Until I find one I chose to buy an intelligent battery charger;

My old battery charger was a "dumb" model. Simply a bridge rectifier & an amp meter.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want more CCA, not less. Probably be better off getting a name brand battery over a WalMart brand.

Yeah, you want the most CCA that you can get. Cold weather is tough.

Also, I ran one of those wallmart Neverstart 1000CCA in my other truck a while back and it crapped out in the 2nd year. I don't know who makes them for wallmart. I would only get one of those in a pinch and be sure to save the receipt. Maybe I just got a bad one??

Dave