GPS/multimedia head units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i have once again talked myself out of a new truck and into keeping the Jeep, i have decided to add some type of GPS/backup camera/multimedia deck.

i am looking at the pioneer AVIC-8201NEX and the Kenwood DNX994S.

originally, the pioneer was my go-to, but after reading a lot of reviews that point to poor reliability, lots of malfunctions/defective units, and a lack of customer support, I am leaning towards the Kenwood unit.

obviously i want to be sure what i am buying is good, does anyone on here have one of these or a similar unit?

thoughts?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always liked the kenwood headunits and the kenwood has more frequency's to adjust to allow you to adjust the sound to your liking.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a Kenwood 7" flip-out screen unit in my KJ for 8 years now with no issues at all.I have the Garmin GPS unit and back up camera(installed under front bumper).

unfortunately kenwood is looking like the winner in this case...

i say unfortunately because the pioneer can seemingly be had for about 600 on a regular basis whereas the kenwood goes for about 1,200...but judging by the reviews of the pioneer theres a damn good reason for it (reminiscent of the price differences between JBA and RRO).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately kenwood is looking like the winner in this case...

i say unfortunately because the pioneer can seemingly be had for about 600 on a regular basis whereas the kenwood goes for about 1,200...but judging by the reviews of the pioneer theres a damn good reason for it (reminiscent of the price differences between JBA and RRO).

I have the highest end Kenwood flipout they made,cost $1400 alone before the GPS and camera.

Yeah I can say it is worth it,to bad they don't make it any more.

Bill chase

Reaction score
Go with alpine. Customer support is great, and out of all the double din units.. alpines consistently have the best audio section. Imho. But then again I am into having my car sound like a band is on the hood playing... just me.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the 8200 series, but I have a Pioneer AVIC 5000NEX in my Ram 2500 and it rocks even with stock speakers. I love it. Been in there two years and no issues. The sound quality over the stock unit is amazing. The only issue is sometimes the phone reception *****, not sure why, but the Bluetooth works great for music from my phone. I like it so much, I have been surfing Ebay to find a similar version to put in the KJ. Probably get a refurbished 5200 for less than $350. The double din bezel should be here in a couple of days.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new Pioneer Avic-7200NEX. It is one step down from the 8200, the biggest difference being the screens. The 8200 has one like a phone that is more sensitive. For $570 shipped, I couldn't pass it up. The only difference between the 8200 vs 8201, is the 8201 comes with a backup camera. But the head unit still says 8200. I have been doing a ton of research on these.

From vids I have seen, it is very similar in function to the 5000 in my Ram, so shouldn't be too difficult to get used to. Actually, I will be taking the 5000 out of the Ram and putting in the KJ, and put the new one in the truck. The Metra double din bezel arrived today, so I'm on my way to having killer sounds and GPS in the KJ. :peace: