Dual battery systems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, over here in Oz we tend to drive long distances with not much in the way of facilities. We like to fit a second and sometimes third battery into our vehicles. Is this something you blokes do over there? If so, where do you mount your aux battery?
Sean.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I don't know about the 4 wheeling crowd but the only times I've seen a second battery fitted was for a pickup camper to handle lights, heater, and fridge. Usually a deep cycle battery charged through an isolator circuit gadget.

Disco95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the 4 wheeling crowd but the only times I've seen a second battery fitted was for a pickup camper to handle lights, heater, and fridge. Usually a deep cycle battery charged through an isolator circuit gadget.

That's exactly the sort of setup I'm talking about. The majority of 4wders over here run lights, fridges, equipment charging stations etc, Using isolatirs, dc to dc chargers and solar setups.
We can live remote, desert, coastal, mountains etc, for a couple of weeks out of our vehicles.
I just don't know where under the bonnet to put my deep cycle.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really isnt room in the engine bay for a second battery but you could probably find room under the rear seat depending on the style of battery you go with.

I plan on putting one together using this relay (this is a link). It allows a ton of control and can handle high amp loads such as winching. It comes with a remote switch so you can control it right from the drivers seat.

-Manual control switch provides an added level of safety allowing control with or without power, and offering LOCK OFF capability for servicing
-Includes ML-Series Remote Control Contura Switch PN 2146
-Automatically manages the charging of two large battery banks
-Allows paralleling of battery banks for emergency starting
-500 Ampere continuous rating to support high-output alternators
-Magnetic Latch (ML)—ACR draws very low current (<40mA to monitor terminal voltage) in the "ON" or "OFF" states, and draws moderate current for very short time when changing state
-Dual sensing—senses charge on both battery banks
-Start Isolation (SI)—can be configured for temporary isolation of House loads from Engine circuit during engine cranking to protect sensitive electronics
-Engine Isolation (EI)—can be configured for isolation of two engines while both are running to protect engine electronics and maximize alternator output
Senses charging on two battery banks
-LED output to remotely indicate when batteries are combined, isolated, in voltage lockout, or in Start or Engine isolation

They also make some really nice fuse blocks to keep all your accessory wiring tidy.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/16/61/Fuse_Blocks/ST_Blade