double din upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docnoisewater

Reaction score
So in the liberty there is currently an aftermarket single din hu that I believe was installed by geek squad...
there is a portable xm radio in there too.

So for the upgrade I wanted to add the double din head unit (maybe gps) with an internal xm receiver, and hands free options.
I have also looked into adding the steering wheel controls and harness for new head unit.
I will get that double din dash kit too.

My question is what kind of wiring do you think is going on back there?
Is there a typical geeksquad/best buy harness?
Should I leave this to a pro or can I tackle this?
I have done stock to aftermarket more than a few times, never aftermarket to aftermarket.

Sounds like alot of work, wife drives it mainly with the kids but i need at least four more years out of this liberty until the Ram is paid off.

Its an 06 sport, 140K.

and thanks in advance with any help on this

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple install. Everything you need is available on Amazon. You will need to cut away some of the plastic from the back of the dash opening to allow the double DIN to slide in all the way. Beside that just splice, solder and shrink wrap the wiring harness adapter to the stereo you select. If you go with a Kenwood you can just ground the parking brake sensor.

I went with the Kenwood DDX9703S and love it. It makes my 02 feel like a 2016 or 17. Lots of hands free functionality(phone, nav, texting read and reply), Google maps navigation with VR, XM ready(with a tuner) and I did also install a rear camera. Running the cables for the microphone, rear camera and XM antenna were probably the most difficult part of the install. I don't use the mirroring, just the Android Auto.

Here are the part numbers I used for the install on my 02 Sport:

SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio

Metra 70-6502 Radio Wiring Harness For Chrysler 02-Up Power 4 Speaker

Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler 2001-Up Car Antenna Adapter

Metra Vehicle Mount for Radio 95-6524B

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW if you have steering wheel audio controls you will need another adapter to maintain that functionality.

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

I also purchased that on Amazon.

HenryseIsk

Reaction score
@sparky123321 are you happy with it? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the Kenwood DDX9705S head unit thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

Latest posts

Members online