Dome light on 03 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the light bulb guide and bought a set of 212-2 LEDs for my dome light - it worked fine for the trunk area light but the driver/passenger dome lights are some kind of other bulbs (3 CP text says)..

This is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBH6814/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is my dome light:
You must be registered for see images attach

Once I opened it - the driver side light went bad :shrug:
Which product should I buy to get a bright LED replacement for these and how do I get these out?

Thanks

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look like 194 bulbs, which would be correct, as those are technically the "map lights".

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh confusing, so theres

Map light

Dome light
212-2

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area
212-2

So where's the dome light?
I can find 194 LED lights in ebay for cheap..

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh confusing, so theres

Map light

Dome light
212-2

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area
212-2

So where's the dome light?
I can find 194 LED lights in ebay for cheap..

Not sure about other KJ's, but the only thing on the interior roof of mine that could be construed as a dome light is the rear cargo light. I don't have a dome light in the middle of the front/back seats where a dome light would typically be found.

Maybe some KJ's without EVICs and the overhead computers have no map lights, but instead a single light that uses the 212-2 bulb. ???

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, anyways I found 194 LED lights in eBay for 75 cents... I'll report back with results once it arrived and installed.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, anyways I found 194 LED lights in eBay for 75 cents... I'll report back with results once it arrived and installed.

I'm interested to see if you get a glow while the lights are turned off.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like rear is behaving like that. Need to install front and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one does it they all will, they draw too little power which the KJ supplies even when they're shut off which is the reason for the glow especially when you buy cheap Chinese ones

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not really related to chinese/american - LEDs will glow when "off" because KJ will supply some lower voltage even when switch is off - solution is to buy Xenon bulbs and not LED bulbs unless you fit a correct value resistor in series...

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not really related to chinese/american - LEDs will glow when "off" because KJ will supply some lower voltage even when switch is off - solution is to buy Xenon bulbs and not LED bulbs unless you fit a correct value resistor in series...

I'm assuming you mean switch off / car off as well correct? If there is truly current bleed thru on the circuit that causes the off lights to actually be very dimly on, then hopefully it wouldn't do it while the car is off as well - otherwise that would drain the battery eventually when the car is parked.

My primary reason for wanting LED interior lights is because sometimes I am an idiot and I leave the dome light on overnight in my XJ. The current draw on the LED is so much less that when I come back out the next morning, my jeep will start no problem. With the standard incandescent bulbs, no such luck. 4 lights on for 8 hours and my jeep was dead. I hate the color temp of the LEDs (they now make warmer color temp ones, but when I bought mine, they were only available in 6000k daylight temp), but they have saved my bacon several times. I was hoping to do the same thing with my KJ but if there truly is a problem with them being not off while the car is running, that would be super annoying at night.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see if you get a glow while the lights are turned off.

Every time I did a LED swap - they glow. Cheap ones and ones from super bright led .com

Kinda like a mood light at night