Auto Dim Mirror Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post a write up when I am done. But for now I have it working, even without two wires hooked up. So here is my question...

What are wires 4 and 5 from this pinout? AUTO DAY/NIGHT MIRROR Positive and Negative. I have no idea what the heck these do and where to splice them in. I ran wire 3 into the kick plate and hooked it up to the feed for the reverse lights. 1 and 2 are spliced into the EVIC harness I made months back. Just can't figure out 4 and 5 and, though it seems to work just fine, I want to hook them in...and know what they are.

F942 20BK/PK
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)

Z13 20BK/WT
GROUND

L10 20BK/VT
BACK-UP LAMP FEED

P112 20BK/TN
AUTO DAY/NIGHT MIRROR (+)

P114 20BK/GY
AUTO DAY/NIGHT MIRROR (-)

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pins 4 & 5 are supposed to go to side mirrors that are also capable of auto dimming, to dim them when the rearview mirror dims. Since KJ mirrors are not capable of dimming, never spliced those wires up into anything. Also never did anything with pin 3; that just disables the dimming feature when backing up. I wouldn't go back and run this wire or anything, but i would be interested to see where you ran this to and if it works.

I used the ground wire from the evic, and a separate power wire to the fuse box to the fuse that was supposed to have the autodim mirror on it. But i doubt it was necessary because i'd be pretty confident adding the load to the fuse the evic is on would not be a problem.

I believe the autodim mirror is a gentex gntx-187. I think i did searches for that model number and just gentex mirrors in general because the first 5 pinouts seemed to be the same for gentex mirrors. For some reason the company that makes the mirrors password protects the instructions download.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ Mirrors DO autodim, I have them. You would want the GTS Power Heated Mirrors (55155843AG and 55155842AG). They are also Autodimming. If you look at the pinout, you will see that in the US, the pins are for the autodimming feature in place of the power-fold option that is available on export KJs. This is also only available to Limiteds, however, as they have the 8 pin wiring harness in the door necessary to run it all. Pin 5 feeds the mirrors heating element whenever you put on your defogger. And then the rest of the pins are just the standard power mirror functions. A Sport can easily ass this harness as all it requires is a power source to operate. You just run power to the door panel control switch, and from there run the wires for controlling the mirror movement. The other wires are heating and the Auto Dim +/- as we have now established and know where to run them.

As far as that Autodim +/- in the side view mirrors, though, I knew the wire was also found down there, but I still didn't know what it was and why I even needed to bother with it...still don't. Since the side view mirrors do not have a reverse sensor, they will always be in autodim, regardless of whether you put it into reverse. But apparently from what you are saying, the +/- is a signal handled by the interior rear view mirror as the command unit, which is sent to the side view mirrors telling them to turn off as well when it senses the car is in reverse? Seems logical and illogical all at once simply because I don't see why the side view mirrors would not be set up to sense that themselves, but yeah, there should be some sort of communication between them.

I will just go ahead and trace the +/- coming from the driver's door once it enters the cabin and see if I can find the tree where it splits to go to the passenger door as well, if there is one. If they split like I think, I will just splice it into the wire going to the driver's door since I already have wiring running down there and it will send the signal across the whole line including passenger.

I will post pictures, next time I get a chance, of the reverse sensor wiring. Basically, open your kick plate and look for a gray and white wire. It is the reverse light wire. When it gets power from you shifting into reverse, it will power that wire once you splice and the mirror will respond by killing the dim.

P71 20TN/DG (LHD)
LEFT MIRROR UP DRIVER

P72 20TN/GY (RHD)
RIGHT MIRROR UP DRIVER

P76 20TN/LB
MIRROR COMMON DRIVER

P75 20TN/LG (LHD)
LEFT MIRROR LEFT DRIVER

P74 20TN/OR (RHD)
RIGHT MIRROR LEFT DRIVER

P112 20TN/OR (EXCEPT POWER FOLD)

C16 20DB/GY
FUSED REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY OUTPUT

Z999 20BK
GROUND

P99 20LG/LB (POWER FOLD)
FOLDING MIRROR FEED

P114 20TN/WT (EXCEPT POWER FOLD)

P110 20LG/WT (POWER FOLD)
FOLDING MIRROR RETURN

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem figuring out which mirrors are auto dimming, maybe you've come across the answer. Are the auto dimming mirrors marked in any way to show they auto dim? In other words, when they mirrors are heated they have the little symbol on the glass, anything like that for auto dimming? Or is any mirror that is heated also an auto dimming mirror? Skimmed thru the service manual, parts lists and even put that part number you listed into a trademotion websites; seemed they are all listed as power/heated, but never auto dim. I wouldn't bother redoing my wiring for just the back up wire, but if the mirrors i put in also are auto dimming mirrors, i might take the time.

Anyway, here are some wiring diagrams that may help you with your installation. The server is slow, may take a moment to connect and download.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the heated mirrors are also AutoDimming. At least, in 2006 they are... I cannot tell you when they started being AutoDim, though. Hell, Hyedipin has autodimming mirrors now that I think about it, and he has an 04 G Package - I saw it in his signature line. What you really need to do then is find a G Package Limited from at least 04 and take the heated mirrors off it. I know where one is, check your PMs.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post a write up when I am done. But for now I have it working, even without two wires hooked up. So here is my question...

What are wires 4 and 5 from this pinout? AUTO DAY/NIGHT MIRROR Positive and Negative. I have no idea what the heck these do and where to splice them in. I ran wire 3 into the kick plate and hooked it up to the feed for the reverse lights. 1 and 2 are spliced into the EVIC harness I made months back. Just can't figure out 4 and 5 and, though it seems to work just fine, I want to hook them in...and know what they are.

F942 20BK/PK
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)

Z13 20BK/WT
GROUND

L10 20BK/VT
BACK-UP LAMP FEED

P112 20BK/TN

P114 20BK/GY

Does anyone have the part number for the wiring harness? I need a new rear view mirror and i would like to add one of these bad boys in.