2006 renegade radio and speakers!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 liberty renegade I have a kenwood DVD player that I'm gonna install but when I go to replace the door speakers I have no clue?
Do I have to take the whole door panel off or just pop the grill off them, and also I was looking this up and I was reading each speaker has its own amp??? so if I were to replace them with another speaker like Rockford Fosgate they wouldn't be as loud??? or do they really have there own amp??
OR:shrug:
Should I just leave those in there?
My boyfriend bought me 1000 watt rockford fosgate amp and 2 12 subs to put in back and my brother says he would leave the stock speakers alone and put all the bass to my subs???:head3:(band)

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, there is one "amp" that controls the left front door, rear door and dash tweeter. Then there is one "amp" that controls the same on the right side. If the subs are installed and tuned properly, you can use the factory door speakers and tweeters. If you replace them, you'll either lose your tweeters or have to install new crossovers to keep them. If you do replace the speakers, I would recommend running all new wires straight from the deck to the new speakers or new amp if you go that route, so you can eliminate messing with the factory "amps" They call them amps, but someone on here disassembled them and they just look like crossovers. That being said, I have 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's in mine, and I left the stock speakers in place, and after tuning it all together, my bass hits hard as hell and the whole system sounds great. If your boyfriend is going to install the subs himself, tell him there is a pre-made hole in the Firewall under the carpet kind of high up on the driver's side. He'll have to pop the plastic piece out that's covering it. I used a screwdriver and pushed, and it popped right out. It's easy to find, just follow the line of sealant/caulk where the metal panels are joined. Hope my rambling is helpful. Here are some pics of mine just to inspire you :smokin:

Attachments

• DSCN1874.jpg
    DSCN1874.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1875.jpg
    DSCN1875.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1876.jpg
    DSCN1876.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1878.jpg
    DSCN1878.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 39

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, there is one "amp" that controls the left front door, rear door and dash tweeter. Then there is one "amp" that controls the same on the right side. If the subs are installed and tuned properly, you can use the factory door speakers and tweeters. If you replace them, you'll either lose your tweeters or have to install new crossovers to keep them. If you do replace the speakers, I would recommend running all new wires straight from the deck to the new speakers or new amp if you go that route, so you can eliminate messing with the factory "amps" They call them amps, but someone on here disassembled them and they just look like crossovers. That being said, I have 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's in mine, and I left the stock speakers in place, and after tuning it all together, my bass hits hard as hell and the whole system sounds great. If your boyfriend is going to install the subs himself, tell him there is a pre-made hole in the Firewall under the carpet kind of high up on the driver's side. He'll have to pop the plastic piece out that's covering it. I used a screwdriver and pushed, and it popped right out. It's easy to find, just follow the line of sealant/caulk where the metal panels are joined. Hope my rambling is helpful. Here are some pics of mine just to inspire you :smokin:

thanks!!!! I think I'm just gonna do how you did it I like how it sounds now just want more bass but not so much my Libby falls apart! so seems like yours is the way to go!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly, if I want to replace the rear speakers, it's more than just plug and play? :( The rear stock speakers are TERRIBLE!

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly, if I want to replace the rear speakers, it's more than just plug and play? :( The rear stock speakers are TERRIBLE!

Ok that depends on what you want. I'm assuming you don't want to replace it with another factory speaker, as that would obviously be plug and play. If you're using the factory head unit, you will have to use the amps as the head unit won't supply enough power to the speakers. The amp is attached to the front speaker on each side. It can be removed, and mounted either to the replacement speaker or somewhere in the door. Then it's just a matter of finding aftermarket speaker with close to the same power requirements as the stock speakers. Then it should be pretty well plug and play. If you have an aftermarket head unit, you don't need the factory amps at all. But if you remove them, you will lose the tweeters in the dash unless you install new crossovers to run them. If you don't want to go through that right now, you could always try HJ's fix, but I would imagine that wouldn't last indefinitely. Maybe HJ can fill us in on how it's held up. That fix can be found here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-infinity-speaker-repair-47615/

When you decide what you want to do, keep us posted. I'll be happy to do some research to find you some good replacements that should work if you want.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that depends on what you want. I'm assuming you don't want to replace it with another factory speaker, as that would obviously be plug and play. If you're using the factory head unit, you will have to use the amps as the head unit won't supply enough power to the speakers. The amp is attached to the front speaker on each side. It can be removed, and mounted either to the replacement speaker or somewhere in the door. Then it's just a matter of finding aftermarket speaker with close to the same power requirements as the stock speakers. Then it should be pretty well plug and play. If you have an aftermarket head unit, you don't need the factory amps at all. But if you remove them, you will lose the tweeters in the dash unless you install new crossovers to run them. If you don't want to go through that right now, you could always try HJ's fix, but I would imagine that wouldn't last indefinitely. Maybe HJ can fill us in on how it's held up. That fix can be found here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-infinity-speaker-repair-47615/

When you decide what you want to do, keep us posted. I'll be happy to do some research to find you some good replacements that should work if you want.

Thanks for the info! It's on the list for eventually. But being that I just replaced the trans AND ordered 4 new tires, need to do a CV joint, and brakes, I have a while before I can do upgrades to the system at that scale. Being that the front speakers are decent enough, I'm in no rush to replace the rear speakers.

Otter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all KJ's came with the Infinity system, when I replaced my system, I put in a Kenwood HU and bought the wire harness adapter from Crutchfield and used the stock wiring. Stuck Pioneer components in the front doors and Kickers in the back along with a powered sub for some thump. Pull the front door panels off and check the speakers to see if you have the speakers with the amps, if you don't, then it just plug and play.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See I've heard that some didn't come with the premium system, but I've never seen one that didn't have the amps. Do you have the tweeters in the dash Otter? If not, then I guess that would be a good way to tell.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok scratch that idea then. I'd be real interested to know how they're wired. Did you happen to notice when you replaced your door speakers?

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got curios so I just pulled my door panel on driver front and No amp or cross over built on the speaker. Only 2 green wires for speaker leads and a cheap looking factory speaker. 07 Liberty Sport. Kinda glad I contemplated changing the speaker when I first bought her, but after seeing the OEM wiring digram quickly changed my mind now I think I will.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled up the Wiring diagram there is no Amplifier at all just cross overs listed basicly looks like everything runs through the front speaker then jumps from there. I think the first time years ago looking at this I only looked at the Limited and not the sport. here is the diagrams.

Base Model Radio
You must be registered for see images attach

Premium radio 1

Premium radio 2

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagrams. That should make life easier for anyone planning to replace speakers. And it also satisfies my curiousity :happy160:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so this question might seem a little stupid but how do you know if the speakers have an amp? I will look at them but Is it attached to the speaker its self? I don't know what type of system I have with a diagram you were talking about? I have an 06 renegade

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp should look like this and yes it will be attached to the front door speaker.

Attachments

• DSCF2795.jpg
    DSCF2795.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 20

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got a new head unit, and now that the clarity is boosted, I see my driver-side tweeter is pretty fried, and the speakers themselves just don't give me what I want. So I'm going to probably try to replace the speakers at some point with something decent from like Wal-Mart or something. I assume I'm going to lose my tweeters, so I don't really have to worry too much about replacing them, correct?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're not concerned with keeping them, then no you don't need to worry about replacing them. I would recommend running new speaker wires from the new head unit directly to your new speakers though, in case you ever wanted to go back to stock. If you do want to keep your tweeters, it's easy to do. Just get new crossovers. They're cheap and easy to install.

Latest posts

Members online