2004 KJ Brake lights inop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RicWest

Reaction score
Both my drivers side and passenger side brake lights went out on me (at the same time??). I replaced both brake bulbs, no help. I checked fuses 7, 9, 12, 13 and 14.. all are good. The tail light, turn signal and reverse light all work. The Third brake light does work. Checking the contacts I get zero voltage where the bulb connects. What should I be checking next?

RicWest

Reaction score
The switch on the pedal

Doesn't the switch provide12v to the third brake light? If not is there a way to test the switch without buying a new one? And according to the wiring diagram I found the rest of the lights in the taillight assembly share the ground... Those work.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two switches. One for the 3rd brake light, one for the normal brake lights.

RicWest

Reaction score
There are two switches. One for the 3rd brake light, one for the normal brake lights.

Swapped teh Brake Light Switch out. Still no brake lights other than the 3rd brake light. I don't see where there is a second switch for the 3rd brake light as you indicated, at least according to the wiring diagram and what I could see with my own eyes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a95bxq58zn85ppl/KJ Taillight.png

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops - that's on my other vehicle. Sorry...

I'd check the ground and the wires to the actual brake lights.

Latest posts

Members online