Widest tires for an unlifted KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davyvan

Reaction score
As a newbie any advice on the widest tires that will fit my unaltered 2005 Liberty Sport will be appreciated. It has a slight stance, sitting 1.5" lower in the front and at full lock there is about .75" clearance on the inside with the stock size 225/75R16's.
Was thinking about 245/70R16 or 255/65R16 General Grabber AT2's on the factory steel rims, some posts say these sizes work fine. Right now I can't afford a lift but need new tires. Will these rub while bouncing around wheelin', and how are the Grabbers on wet pavement?
Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FIRST, welcome to the madness
SECOND, measure to see how much yours has sagged ( middle of the left front wheel to bottom of flare. New stock height was 19 inches )
THIRD, If no sag at all 245-70-16s

The 255-65-16 is the same height as stock basically but of course wide, 245-70-16s are almost 1/2 inch taller but more narrow than the 255-65s

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some posts say I should flatten down the pinch welds in the wheel wells, I didn't see those.

Usually when lifted you need to and yes every KJ/KK has them
right behind the front tire , small area sticks out, very easy to do,
I know I've posted pictures on here before on how to do it and you can't even tell that you do it later

davyvan

Reaction score
Thanks, anyone have General Grabber AT2 255/65R16's on their Liberty? The price seems right if they are a good AT tire. I saw a stock Libby with that same tire and size at the Post Office the other day, they looked nice, but didn't see the owner so I couldn't ask.

Latest posts

Members online