What's a good automatic tire deflator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those screw on things dont work right
the best one I have seen in the on Currie makes
IIRC it is called the easy tire deflator or some thing
basically it screws on the valve stem
you use it to remove the core
then deflate the tire
it has a gauge so you can see where you are at

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say "a nail", but if you're just looking to air down some, that's another story...

As far as getting all 4 the same, I've seen "Tee" hoses used with the ends for the valve stems that clamp on like an inflator With the tee hose installed on both front tires, you deflate them at the same time. Closing the outlet lets the two tires balance preasure-wise.

I've been meaning to build me one, even bought the 1/4" hose to do so. The idea is to use it when inflating the tires to balance the side-to-side for more even tire wear / handeling.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to say one of these...

You must be registered for see images

But if you want to fill 'em up again, I'm not so sure :)

Interesting idea with the T hose Uncle Krusty...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen one guy who had a hose connected to all four tires at once so when he airs down they all ballance out at the same time.

Reminds me I got one of those in some other Jeep stuff I bought last year! Works to air down or air back up! Never tried it but it would seem to be OK

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe have a look at the ARB unit.
It deflates quickly and is a gauge too.
That's my preferred one.
Cheers
Auberon

Ristta

Reaction score
I apologize for bumping...just my two cents...
I've used several different automatic tire deflators and none produced consistent enough air pressures for me to trust. I even made an 'octopus' rig that allowed me to deflate all four tires at once, that's what is in the photo below. Then I just used screw-on deflators that let the air out until you removed them. The common problem with all of those was that they were all SLOW because none removed the tire's valve core. They just pushed on the valve core's stem which doesn't let the air out very fast at all.

Then a few buddies on the trail who were standing around waiting for me to finish airing down showed me their ARB & Currie deflators (both are the same product) that have a slick way of unscrewing/completely removing the tire valve core and holding it inside (so it doesn't shoot out and get lost) while airing down. It really dumps the air out FAST. That was probably 15 years ago, I'll never switch away from this type of deflator. It lets me go from 24-26 psi to 4-8 psi in under 5 minutes total for all four tires...under a minute for each tire.

The time difference to get an entire group rolling on the trail when some are using deflators that just push the stem down can be enough that we run over to those slower wheelers to help them get aired down with our Currie/ARB deflators https://wheelstips.com/best-tire-inflator so we can get moving.On Youtube, there are a lot of interesting videos on this subject. I will leave one of them here, I hope someone will help in the future. Good Luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kul4YMcVpU

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can confirm those are very quick. Im over the screw on deflates. Not because they don't work but because I usually goto different pressures depending on what I'm doing.

If I'm doing difficult steep Rocky hill climbs I'll go down to 12psi but if we're cruising around the trails and hitting mud I'll stay up around 18-20psi and I don't want to carry two sets.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, what do you guys use for spring back up? I suppose it goes without saying that if you have air lockers you use the same compressor, but what if you don't have air lockers?

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For deflation I use the ARB deflator, and as said by others, it is quick and I am very happy with it.
As for inflation, I use the ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor which is fine and rather quick for the tyres i have (245/75R16).

Latest posts

Members online