TPMS Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Background: Some @#$%&* tried to steal my 2007 Liberty, resulting in the steering column needing to be replaced. I got it back from the repair place two days ago and drove 400 miles to VA. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System flashed every ten minutes the whole way. The tires are definitely at their rated pressure and I never saw this light in the eighteen months I owned the Jeep before the break-in.

1) Does anyone know the VIN Code for the TPMS? I am 99.9% sure I don't have them installed in the tires but would like to bump that level to 100% before pursuing this any further.

2) Is getting the sensor to actually work a simple matter of installing the sensors in the tires? I found these and wonder if it's worth adding this feature: 2007 Jeep Liberty Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor

3) Is this feature even worth adding? I'm a fanatic about checking tire pressure on a regular basis and have never been caught running "soft". (All the ladies I know can attest to this.) On the other hand, if I were to run over a nail it would be nice to know before I find myself running on Italian Radials. (Old joke which includes horribly insensitive racial slurs.)

4) If I skip the sensors, is there a way I can turn the warning off? Or will this entail a flash at the dealer?

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Does anyone know the VIN Code for the TPMS? I am 99.9% sure I don't have them installed in the tires but would like to bump that level to 100% before pursuing this any further.
3) Is this feature even worth adding? I'm a fanatic about checking tire pressure on a regular basis and have never been caught running "soft".
I don't know the VIN code; I would suggest getting a build sheet to find out, but when I checked mine for it (I do have the sensors), it wasn't totally clear. It mentions 'LABS Tire Pressure Monitoring Warning LP', but given that it's in the section with lamps, not the wheels and tires, I suspect that's the light on the dash (which you obviously have). It's my understanding, though, that Jeep's tpms valve stems are noticeably different from the non-tpms ones. My tpms valve stems are silver, metal, bulky, and have a hex head molded into the stem just below the threaded portion. I believe the non-tpms ones are just your standard rubber valve stems, nothing special about them.

If you're good about checking your tire pressure, then the main purpose of tpms is lost on you. However, it can still be a good thing to have if, for instance, you puncture a tire and lose air slowly over the course of a few minutes on the highway. The tpms sensors on rolling tires will send frequent measurements (every minute if I remember right, might be a smaller interval like 30 seconds though) and alert you of the problem before you would feel a difference. Could save you from ruining an otherwise pluggable tire.

Oh, and with the right EVIC module, you'd be able to check the pressure of all 5 tires with the push of a button, from the comfort of the driver's seat! Now there's a nice feature.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can not turn off the feature so if you have it you need to either install the tire pressure sensors in the wheels or just put five of them in a pressurized pvc tube to trick the jeep into thinking the sensors are on the wheels.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...It mentions 'LABS Tire Pressure Monitoring Warning LP', but given that it's in the section with lamps, not the wheels and tires, I suspect that's the light on the dash (which you obviously have).
Agreed. I'm pretty sure that every Liberty comes with every light built in to the dash, even if that feature is not installed on that particular Jeep. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to prepare dash configurations for every possible combination.

It's my understanding, though, that Jeep's tpms valve stems are noticeably different from the non-tpms ones. My tpms valve stems are silver, metal, bulky, and have a hex head molded into the stem just below the threaded portion. I believe the non-tpms ones are just your standard rubber valve stems, nothing special about them.
Looking at the pictures of the aftermarket ones I would agree. There is absolutely nothing special about the ones I have on my stock wheels.

... it can still be a good thing to have if, for instance, you puncture a tire and lose air slowly over the course of a few minutes on the highway. The tpms sensors on rolling tires will send frequent measurements (every minute if I remember right, might be a smaller interval like 30 seconds though) and alert you of the problem before you would feel a difference. Could save you from ruining an otherwise pluggable tire.
That was exactly what I was thinking.

Oh, and with the right EVIC module, you'd be able to check the pressure of all 5 tires with the push of a button, from the comfort of the driver's seat! Now there's a nice feature.
Thought about adding one a while back. Might still do it.

You can not turn off the feature so if you have it you need to either install the tire pressure sensors in the wheels or just put five of them in a pressurized pvc tube to trick the jeep into thinking the sensors are on the wheels.
I don't have the feature, that's the thing. I think when they replaced the steering column they flashed the PCM and mistakenly enabled it. They gave me two brand new keys, too, since they said they couldn't get the others to work. What I'm considering now is whether it's worth it to go whole hog and add the sensors or if I should just get the daggone thing turned off. Trust me, 400 miles of having that thing blink at you every ten minutes gives you an attitude. :icon_lol:

Thanks for the advice, guys! :favorites13:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring the jeep to who ever replaced the steering column and tell them that they made a mistake and that they should fix there mistake.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Bring the jeep to who ever replaced the steering column and tell them that they made a mistake and that they should fix there mistake.

That's my plan, assuming I don't upgrade the stems. I called them Friday but apparently they were making a four-day weekend of it.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that every Liberty comes with every light built in to the dash, even if that feature is not installed on that particular Jeep. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to prepare dash configurations for every possible combination.
Trust me, 400 miles of having that thing blink at you every ten minutes gives you an attitude. :icon_lol:
That's what I would expect as well - the only reason I have to second guess that presumption is that line on the build sheet. If it's standard on each and every KJ regardless of options, why is there a separate line item for that specific feature?:shrug:

Ha. Two weeks after I bought my KJ, one of the sensors died (battery, I presume - they're supposed to last in the neighborhood of 10 years, and mine were at about 9). I've gone a good 10k miles with that stupid light flashing at me. I've been putting off replacing them until I get some new rubber. In the meantime, like you, I drive with an attitude!:ROFLJest:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My light is on currently, but it doesn't blink or flash. Just stays on. The reason mine is on, is I took off the original tires/wheels when I did the lift. I got Renegade rims that had sensor's, but being they were from an 03, they are different from 05. Sooooo, I bought a set of used 05-12 sensors and had them installed with the new tires. I need to get it to a tire shop that has the proper tool to "train" them for my vehicle. Hopefully that gets the light out.

On a side note, I have a 2012 Ram 1500 that has TPMS. I bought a set of used Sport wheels and tires off a 2014 without sensors. I figured my light would be on in the truck, but its not. So, I wonder if I had just left them out of my Jeep wheels if they light would have stayed off.

edit: Just drove my truck again and the light came on and is flashing. :emotions34:

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my fault. I have brought a curse upon this fine place and all of its members. :blah:

Naw, you did nothing. :waytogo:

I'm not superstitious and expected it to come on, just took a while. Oh well, now I just need to eventually get some and have them installed. Luckily the light doesn't flash is way down in the left corner not very noticeable.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My light is in the upper right-hand corner and drives me nuts. I thought I was losing my peripheral vision. Turns out I was wrong, so that's a plus, I guess. :shrug:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a simple "retroft fix" for unwanted dash lights. Comes in many designer colors too, lol...

You must be registered for see images

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Even cheaper, I'll just poke my eyes out with a steak knife. There - no more flashing light! :icon_twisted:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even cheaper, I'll just poke my eyes out with a steak knife. There - no more flashing light! :icon_twisted:

There you go. With such a simple fix available, I don't know why you made a big friggin deal about the light then! :happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Going to war and need some advice.

The lousy TPMS light continues to do its every-ten-minutes flashing crapola and I am fed up. I was back in Cleveland over New Years and had the place look at it and try to reprogram it. The Jeep dealer dude claimed there is nothing in the onboard computer to adjust. I also have the issue with the fog light switch doing nothing. The foggers come on with the running lights, stay on with the headlights, and won't switch off at the stalk except by killing all lights altogether.

I am preparing to call my insurance company and demand that this be fixed properly. When I bought the Jeep I intended to keep it for a good long while and I have no intention of watching a blinking light go off every ten minutes for the next ten years. (I traded in my old Tracker after sixteen years of ownership, so this may be a conservative estimate.)

The guy at the repair shop claims the replacement steering column was indeed from another 2007, but I have seen references that since the '07s were a transition year (last of the KJs with the KKs coming out in 2008) that there could be differences between various 07s depending on the time of year they were built. The mechanic who "fixed" it also says that the electrical connections were all plug-ins so it is not a case of something getting soldered into the wrong place. If anyone can verify that I would appreciate it.

My question is this: Does anyone have any ideas at all as to what could be causing this? If I could fix it myself I gladly would, if only to get this over with. This (the break-in) happened nearly two months ago and I am tired of phone calls and service department visits. If I can't do it, can anyone point me in a likely place to suggest a pro mechanic check? The dealer guys just scratched their heads and gave me dumb looks. (I gave them dumb looks right back, but it didn't help.)

I am going to call my insurance company and raise a ruckus. Any information I have would likely help and be much appreciated. I have tried to lay out all the facts but would welcome any questions. Anyone with knowledge of where this signal originates or any scrap of info to point someone in the right direction would be great. Ironically, I installed the fog lights myself from an OEM kit and they worked flawlessly. Seems that the amateur mechanic (me) can do at least as well as the pros at the dealership. (Yeah, I know...) Besides, I paid a lot to have the OEM look and function. Had I just bolted on an aftermarket kit and popped a switch and relay in there somewhere they would have been unaffected and I would have saved a lot of money. I am paying the crummy insurance company to take care of things and expect things to be fixed right.

PS: I have abandoned the idea of adding the TPMS sensors. It would be expensive and since the TPMS isn't working right without them I have no idea if it would work right with them, either.

I truly appreciate any advice given. (Except for the "cover it up with electrical tape" stuff. No, sir - ain't a-gonna do that.) :happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The guy at the North Olmsted, Ohio dealership (yes, I'm naming names) tried and couldn't. Said it wasn't even there. That doesn't mean he knew what he was doing, though. I'll definitely keep that on my list. :waytogo:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It was not mandated until the following year (I checked) and it doesn't even have the sensors in the wheels. The annoying light only came on after the steering column was replaced due to the damage caused by the attempted theft.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.