Tire Size Choice Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 Renegade with a 2.5" CRDSTU lift, JBA UCA's and a ARB Bar. I have no problem bashing the pinch in front if needed. I have the stock Renegade rims.

Whats the largest tires I can put on there without needing to regear? Preferably no rubbing so if spacers are needed, thats fine but please advise of spacer size also.

I have BFG 235 70 16 on at the moment and I cant stand them since the lift went in, I need a much wider and taller tire for my needs.

Heres a pic, thanks.

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
245-75-16 or 265-70-16s both are about the same height, but the 265-70s are of course somewhat wider. With stock wheels you may , depending on tire brand and model have some rubbing on the sway bar when fully turned

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, Will I need to bash in the Pinch welds for these ? and would I need spacers?

I like the sounds of the 265 but worry they will stick out a lot.

Does anyone have any photos of 265's from the front or rear of the car?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, Will I need to bash in the Pinch welds for these ? and would I need spacers?

I like the sounds of the 265 but worry they will stick out a lot.

Does anyone have any photos of 265's from the front or rear of the car?

You may need to do the pinch welds but not that big of a deal. With the stock rims it is LESS likely you'll need to break out the big hammer and pound down the welds.

As for the 265's...They won't stick out much further than your stock tires (or tyres ;) ) since the rim width isn't changing since you're staying with the stock wheels. You should be fine.

Note that spacers will actually cause MORE rubbing since the wheel's arc is increased when spacers are added. So stick with the stock wheels with either of the sizes Tom suggested and you should be in good shape. The lift you put in has eliminated most of the trouble spots.

Go for it mate!

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Spacers and stock wheels with 265-70s works well although I dislike spacers. But without there will be rubbing on the sway bar when fully turned

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/75R16's (31") on mine, with a 3" lift. I used 1-1/2" billet hub centric wheel adapter spacers because back side clearance is needed, plus I wanted to keep my factory color matched wheels. You won't have any issues with adapters unless you plan on doing some mountain jumps. Even then, something else on the Jeep will probably break first. I don't recommend using the cheaper universal wheel adapters, go hub centric for better strength. I did have to beat the pinch weld over, and cut the plastic liner. No big deal there. The tires rub a little when it gets close to full lock, only on the front of the flares. You'll have more clearance with the ARB bumper since it doesn't hang as low as a stock bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: