Tire damage near rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to use? I think this happened from airing down to much last year, either that or vandalism lol.

Pls ignore the rim damage lol, just worries about tire safety, it's a 10 ply mud tire
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check date of manufacturer
Looks like weather cracking or just old tires
Never seen low air pressure look quite like that

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG's?

If so very normal after a year or so,Michelin skimps on the rubber in there tires and are very prone to cracking.

I wouldn't drive on them since if they are BFG's they are well known to have very weak sidewalls to begin with.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG's?

If so very normal after a year or so,Michelin skimps on the rubber in there tires and are very prone to cracking.

I wouldn't drive on them since if they are BFG's they are well known to have very weak sidewalls to begin with.

Hercules Trail diggers, I've had them for 2 or 3 years I think

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hercules Trail diggers, I've had them for 2 or 3 years I think

Check manufactures date code
I've seen tires in showrooms that were 3-4 years old before they were sold. How long you have had them means nothing

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check manufactures date code
I've seen tires in showrooms that were 3-4 years old before they were sold. How long you have had them means nothing

Quote for truth, as they say.

It's both depressing and shocking just how little life you get out of tires before the owner is expected to replace them. 80,000 mile tread life means squat for those of us that drive only 10,000 miles per year if we are expected to only get around 4 years of life out of a tire before it's considered "too old".

Not sure how true (but not doubting it either), but I was told after 4 years of age, it is illegal (State, Federal?) for a shop to remount a tire. I can't even get my tires patched/plugged because they are just a wee bit over 4 years old, despite being in very good condition - as far as one can tell visually.

This just looks like cracking due to rubber degradation. How's the tread? I'd be inclined to drive on them until I could get replacements, full well being prepared for a sidewall blowout just in case. If the tread was down to 3 or 4/32", then I'd just get right on getting new ones.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally not vandalism. Looks like age related damage/dry rot.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how true (but not doubting it either), but I was told after 4 years of age, it is illegal (State, Federal?) for a shop to remount a tire. I can't even get my tires patched/plugged because they are just a wee bit over 4 years old, despite being in very good condition - as far as one can tell visually.
No federal,might be state laws but none stating less than 5-10 years.

My companies policy is no tire can be sold that is 5+ years old and we can not service any tire that is 10+ years old(can't even air up said tire).

It can vary from company to company on there own policy though.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No federal,might be state laws but none stating less than 5-10 years.

My companies policy is no tire can be sold that is 5+ years old and we can not service any tire that is 10+ years old(can't even air up said tire).

It can vary from company to company on there own policy though.

Thanks for the info, Troy. Yeah, I've had 3 different chain shops around me state the same 4-years old rule... so perhaps it's just a widely held policy by insurance claim scared chain stores.

That's OK, I got a grease-monkey shop near me that while it is technically a Muffler Man franchise shop, those guys will do whatever you ask them if the cash crosses the counter. And they'll be cool about it and help ya out too- provided it's not an insane and dangerous task.

Latest posts

Members online