Are these the Moab wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't quite tell.. but the seller states "up to 2006"....

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/wto/d/4-rubicon-rims/6310306834.html

You must be registered for see images

Says fits up to 2006 so should be them!
Hard to tell sometimes when taken from above, later ones ( 2007 and on ) are more flat faced where the ones we use are more dished
Looked to be scuffed up some for 4 I'd offer 150 to start
I got 5 couple of years ago for little less than 2 bills with one having minor scuff
( well paid 200 then the guy gave me 30 back to take my wife out to dinner LOL

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, I'll see if the guy still has them- the posting is 19 days old. Maybe he's still sitting on these and wants them gone.. you never know.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still available- asked for pictures of the other two wheels not shown in the ad, as well as clearer shots.

If the owner won't budge from $200 for 4 wheels, do we suppose that's still a fair price? Lord knows they'd be light years better than the flaking, peeling, leaking air around the bead that my OE wheels are...

Also ***** that these wheels are an hour from home - but I've not seen Moabs for sale around here for less than $125-$150/wheel, IF at all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still available- asked for pictures of the other two wheels not shown in the ad, as well as clearer shots.

If the owner won't budge from $200 for 4 wheels, do we suppose that's still a fair price? Lord knows they'd be light years better than the flaking, peeling, leaking air around the bead that my OE wheels are...

Also ***** that these wheels are an hour from home - but I've not seen Moabs for sale around here for less than $125-$150/wheel, IF at all.

Very first set of Moabs I bought was north of New Haven Mi, 95 miles from where I lived at the time in Toledo ( Ohio )
Grabbed them as soon as they hit the Great Lakes 4x4 site.
They are getting harder to find for sure

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking them up on Sunday; $150 for the four. One of them has two small chips in the backside rim, outside of where the tire bead fits. I'll see about fixing that and refinishing the entire set.

If I find a single, fifth wheel, for sale, in better shape, I'll use the chipped one as the spare.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Picking them up on Sunday; $150 for the four. One of them has two small chips in the backside rim, outside of where the tire bead fits. I'll see about fixing that and refinishing the entire set.

If I find a single, fifth wheel, for sale, in better shape, I'll use the chipped one as the spare.

GREAT !!!:dogpile:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's best to do a 5-wheel/tire rotation. It evens out the wear, allowing you to get more miles out of a set of tires. It also prevents potential damage to your gears when running one wheel/tire with a larger circumference than the others, which could happen if you need to use the spare for some reason.

Just my opinion.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
4 or 5 tire rotation has been an ongoing argument for years
Of course when radials first came out was a big no-no to do a 5 tire since they would be running in a different direction.
Doing a 5 tire you get about 20% extra wear so say for example on the Duratracs I ran I would of gotten approximately 114,000 miles instead of the 95,000 I did with 4 tire rotation. I was going to buy a 5th ( they only had 4 in stock when I bought them since they were new to the market ) but never did get around to it.
Plus I generally want them to wear fast, hate running the same brand/tread/ size more than a year or so
But if asked always advise 5 tire

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels look decent.. some scuffs, and the aforementioned chips. Overall, not bad. Now just to wear through my current tires for an excuse to buy new ones!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so used to vehicles with "donut" spares I only got 4 tires for the jeep. Hell it still is rocking the original wheel and tire that was hanging off the carrier when it was bought new. Probably should change that out just because it's 10 years old now. :D

As for gear wearing, I could sort of see the argument, I think it's more of a big deal with the aforementioned donut spare situation; I've heard vehicles that absolutely HOWL when you drive with the donut on the primary drive axle. Granted in all of those cases the vehicles in question were... well worn... in general. :D I've made it a point to carry a full size spare in all my vehicles, where possible, and will run the minimum distance possible on a donut on the primary drive axle.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so used to vehicles with "donut" spares I only got 4 tires for the jeep. Hell it still is rocking the original wheel and tire that was hanging off the carrier when it was bought new. Probably should change that out just because it's 10 years old now. :D

As for gear wearing, I could sort of see the argument, I think it's more of a big deal with the aforementioned donut spare situation; I've heard vehicles that absolutely HOWL when you drive with the donut on the primary drive axle. Granted in all of those cases the vehicles in question were... well worn... in general. :D I've made it a point to carry a full size spare in all my vehicles, where possible, and will run the minimum distance possible on a donut on the primary drive axle.

The spare hanging off of my swing gate is also the factory tire that came in 2003. Horrible GY Wrangler... 100% tire tread, some weather checking from UV exposure... rim and tire won't hold air for more than half a day.

I always figured I'd just air it up with the 12v compressor (gonna take a while!) and drive to where I gotta go. It'd get me 50 miles or so, I'm sure.

Full size spares are the way to go, for sure... seen some Subaru's driven with a donut spare for far too long, man, that AWD system does not like that. A couple ruined differentials taught a harsh lesson.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Bought mine used with a regulation spare wheel but mismatched spare tire. (Right size, but different model. Looks like the previous owner just replaced four and kept one of the old ones.) Obviously I did the 4-tire rotation back then.

When I bought tires last January I got five and have been on a 5-tire rotation since.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought mine used with a regulation spare wheel but mismatched spare tire. (Right size, but different model. Looks like the previous owner just replaced four and kept one of the old ones.) Obviously I did the 4-tire rotation back then.

When I bought tires last January I got five and have been on a 5-tire rotation since.

My father-in-law usually never rotates his tires (but that's a different issue), but what he does is always buys the same tires for his Tahoe, Firestone Destination LE, and only buys 3. He then uses the unused spare as his forth, and puts the oldest tire/wheel on as the spare.

Of course, a flaw in his logic is that this only works every other time.. as when the current 3+1 set wears out, he can't use his previously worn and now twice as old, spare as a 4th on the vehicle... and so he'd have to buy 4 tires again, but then uses the best condition of the newest (but now worn) tires as his new spare.

Really, he only saves about $150 every 8-10 years.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Six is best. Rotate front to back, back to spare(s), spares to front. If you get a flat you have a spare spare. When tires become worn or holed buy 2 new tires and put them up front.

Another nice thing about 6 is there's one less up-down with the jack when rotating.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good deal for MOAB's ... I paid much more for the set I have.

Thanks... I would have paid more if they were pristine, but considering the newest set of Moab wheels out there are still about 10+ years old, that is becoming less likely.

I love the look of them- upgrade OE, especially because they are rare to see on a KJ. Yeah, a ton of us have them, but spread out over the country, in each geographical area, the density of Moab wheel equipped KJ's is realistically very low compared to all the other KJ's.

Plus the stock wheels are going to look goofy when I lift 2.5-3" in the spring.

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but talk to local offroad shops in the area. Sometimes JK owners leave their wheels when putting on some new alloys. I know of one shop with at least 5 sets of five.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The JK ones won't fit a KJ, different bolt pattern (5x5 vs 5x4.5).