Steel Rims for 2004 Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coverland

Reaction score
I have some new 16" winter tires from my '97 Grand Cherokee that I'd like to use on my 2004 Liberty. Can anyone tell me where I might pick up some plain steel rims online for my 2004 Jeep Liberty that would be suitable for snow tires?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Junk yard
Craigslist
on here and other JeepKJ sites
I have two or three laying sround but a bit far to ship

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I found many, many factory steel wheels in the junkyards here, they seem to be more plentiful than all the other factory wheels (less sought after?) in the junkyards. I held out until I found someone on craigslist that had a full set of five with trash tires that I picked up for $50. Have someone who is going to dismount and recycle the tires for free. Then all I have to do is buy new tires and put on them.

coverland

Reaction score
^ Agreed. I found many, many factory steel wheels in the junkyards here, they seem to be more plentiful than all the other factory wheels (less sought after?) in the junkyards. I held out until I found someone on craigslist that had a full set of five with trash tires that I picked up for $50. Have someone who is going to dismount and recycle the tires for free. Then all I have to do is buy new tires and put on them.

Thanks guys. Just thinking of getting around the annual 'mount and balance' charges (they seem way higher than they used to be). Also the TPMS likely adds considerably to a mount and balance charge.

coverland

Reaction score
Junk yard
Craigslist
on here and other JeepKJ sites
I have two or three laying sround but a bit far to ship

Question: Do I 'HAVE TO' add the TPMS sensor to each snow tire? My jeep even has one of those in the spare. What happens if I mount snow tires without the sensor?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed all 5 tpms's from mine and put in normal valve stems. The overhead display will say bad or missing sensors for a minute or two, then go to normal setting. The dash light is on, but I removed the cluster and painted over the led for it so I don't see it. Also the chime would ding so while I had the cluster out I removed the chime.

So now, all I have is the overhead telling me about the sensors for a minute or so.