Starting to think about new tars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(or tires if you're not a redneck or tyres if you're British)

Going with 245/75/16 on my Moabs. Off the bat, I know I want another AT. I don't think a mudder would work as well in the snow as an AT would. Basically here's what I want:
-Quiet (I don't want an AT that sounds like a Ground Hawg)
-Lower weight (P rated or load range C, I think D/E are overkill for the KJ and what I need for sidewall strength) (I'd like to stay around 40lbs)
-Good snow performance
-Rim bead protection lip

I don't really care about longevity. The KJ gets less than 10k a year now (more like 6-8k) so in reality, any set that lasts more than 40k will probably get replaced from dry rot rather than wear. I don't really need something to last 80k.

So far, I have 2 tires on the list:
1. Falken AT3W
You must be registered for see images attach

2. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in load range C

Looked at the Toyo Open Country ATs and the Hankook Dynapros, but they seem a bit more tame than what I'd like - this set I'm willing to go a bit more aggressive than the Terra Grapplers I have. Price wise, I'd like to be less than $150 per tire. Preferably in the $120 range but I'm open to a little more.

Any other suggestions?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Falken's. No complaints here. In fact I put them on my daughters JK also. I don't have any experience with the Duratrac's but heard they're good.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the Duratracs , got over 90,000 miles out of mine
COOPER have some good ones as well
As far as size , I would really lean towards the 265-70-16s
they sit on the MOABs much better IMO than the 245-75-16s

JEEPFORUM has a great post about choosing a overall good AT tire

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the Cooper AT3 a lot and see a shit ton of them, but they don't have the rim guard.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How was the noise on the Duras? Did they get loud quick at all?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Wrangler Authority’s are holding up great
Have had them about a year if I remember right, only about 2000-3000 miles at most on them (got my Challenger in Feb) and look brand new
They have a hum to them on the highway but the tread is so aggressive there’s no way they wouldn’t and it doesn’t bother me because I listen to music every time I drive
Plow through snow, barely have to put it in 4wd
A lot of reviews I’ve read compare them to the Duratracs as well, but cheaper

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How was the noise on the Duras? Did they get loud quick at all?

As long as I rotated mine every 3-3500 miles no noise, well slight hum which can be expected but could still talk to everyone inside just fine, so no on the Ground Hawgs :happy175: I ran those before and everyone knew when I was coming down the road

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyo Open Country ATs ... about those, thinking about these in 265-70-16 in a year or two after the lift, installed on Moabs. They looked good and had good specs.

I think either of your two picks would be a good choice.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm heavily leaning towards the Falkens...I really can't find a bad thing about them and the price is great ($103 a tire).

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
duratracs are good depending on your use of the vehicle. if you wheel regularly, (at least once or twice a month), then i would say they will serve you very well. i unfortunately got very busy with work when i bought mine and i did mostly highway and city driving with them.

Tom is right, rotate them ever 3,500 and they are pretty tame considering how aggressive the tread is. go 5-6000 miles without rotating them and it will sound like helicopters are chasing you. I also made it a point to re-balance them every 10k miles.

they were great in deeper snow and slush. ok on ice and thin layers of snow, ok in rain, not great. they were noisy for a daily driver.

all that being said, i wouldn't buy them for my jeep again because i never had more than a handful of opportunities to use them off road, but when i did they were an awesome tire. i just need something better suited for daily highway driving.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
duratracs are good depending on your use of the vehicle. if you wheel regularly, (at least once or twice a month), then i would say they will serve you very well. i unfortunately got very busy with work when i bought mine and i did mostly highway and city driving with them.

Tom is right, rotate them ever 3,500 and they are pretty tame considering how aggressive the tread is. go 5-6000 miles without rotating them and it will sound like helicopters are chasing you. I also made it a point to re-balance them every 10k miles.

they were great in deeper snow and slush. ok on ice and thin layers of snow, ok in rain, not great. they were noisy for a daily driver.

all that being said, i wouldn't buy them for my jeep again because i never had more than a handful of opportunities to use them off road, but when i did they were an awesome tire. i just need something better suited for daily highway driving.

That's about exactly where I'm at. I don't get really off road more than a few times a year on real trails. I have to run out into the woods on some sometimes muddy 2 tracks, but it's nothing severe. If I wheeled more, I'd get Duratracs but I'm not sure I'll see the benefit of them for what I do. I think the Falkens will be a good balance. Still more aggressive than my Terra Grapplers which is cool.

I like the Cooper AT3s, but no rim guard. The STT Max is a sweet looking tire but way overkill for what I need.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thays how I felt about the STTs. I would be wasting them on the asphalt 80% of the time.
I'm loving the traction in snow and mud and trails I get the AT3s.
They DID prove themselves in a mud bog last summer. It made 7 passes not once did I get stuck

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Going with the Falkens. Just gotta find the best deal, Discount tire will do them for $103 each plus $16 mounting/balancing for a total of $605 plus whatever MN state tax is. Not bad for 5 tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still sticking with 245-75-16s ??
I had a set of 245-75-16s on the MOABs when I first got them, didn't like the look at all, so just curious

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's not "ideal" for the rims but I think it's ideal for the rest of the KJ. I want to keep it the same as what I have now....don't really want to lift higher and/or get into regear territory.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Grabber AT2's and highly recommend them for a good all around tire, but for something a little more aggressive I'm going to give the Falken's a try as well in the Spring. The SST Pro's were a little too aggressive and noisy for how little off-roading I've done lately. The SST Pro's would be a great tire to throw on for your weekend off-road excursions, but I can't recommend them for the average Jeep owner.

Please let me know what you think after you've been running the Falkens for a while. I'd really appreciate the review. Thanks.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs

265 70 16 - 42 lbs
265 65 17 - 42 lbs
LT 245 75 16 C - 40 lbs
LT 245 70 17 E - 50 lbs

I think your going to be in the same ball park with 265 vs 245 in terms of regear. In otherwords you'll be in 3rd just as often as 245. Some minor work with the heat gun maybe but your already running the same overall diameter.

I like wide. I never had much concern about blowing a bead on 245's but more is always better. Also didn't run below 20 psi.

As loud as i thought mine were, i'd do it again. I like my KO2's but you don't want 10 ply. They are quiet and 80% traction in snow of duratracs.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Grabber AT2's and highly recommend them for a good all around tire, but for something a little more aggressive I'm going to give the Falken's a try as well in the Spring. The SST Pro's were a little too aggressive and noisy for how little off-roading I've done lately. The SST Pro's would be a great tire to throw on for your weekend off-road excursions, but I can't recommend them for the average Jeep owner.

Please let me know what you think after you've been running the Falkens for a while. I'd really appreciate the review. Thanks.

Will do. I'll review them if they're great or terrible

Duratracs

265 70 16 - 42 lbs
265 65 17 - 42 lbs
LT 245 75 16 C - 40 lbs
LT 245 70 17 E - 50 lbs

I think your going to be in the same ball park with 265 vs 245 in terms of regear. In otherwords you'll be in 3rd just as often as 245. Some minor work with the heat gun maybe but your already running the same overall diameter.

I like wide. I never had much concern about blowing a bead on 245's but more is always better. Also didn't run below 20 psi.

As loud as i thought mine were, i'd do it again. I like my KO2's but you don't want 10 ply. They are quiet and 80% traction in snow of duratracs.

I'm trying to avoid pounding the pinchweld...I thought the 245s would be safer in that regard. The 42lb weight isn't too bad, I think the Falkens are 39ish.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.