Rubicon Wheels w/o lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have the factory installed steel rims, and i'm looking to change them out. About 75-80% of my driving is highway driving, so a lift is not in my near future. I did a search of the forums, looks like most everyone who has swapped out their rims for the rubicons also has a lift. Since I don't plan on lifting my KJ, would the rubi rims work?

There are quite a few 15x7 wrangler and 15x8 canyon crawler rims floating around ebay, but i read somewhere that some grinding needed to be done to the brake calipers for them to fit (correct me if i'm wrong on that). If all else fails, I'll look around for some used renegade or limited rims. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
theres only like 1 or 2 15" rims (that i've read around forums anyway) that will fit. as far as the rubi's go..even w/ a lift there is still some minor rubbing issues...so w/o one, i think you'll be doing a lot of trimming.

unsure of what the actual tire size is, but it's 31" total diameter, and i think it's a different offset too...

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response....from the tire calculator sticky at the top, I knew the stock mt/r tires 31" tires wouldn't work without a lift or trimming. I should have asked if there was a different sized tire that i could put on those rims (for example, tirerack lists 235/70-16, 29" as an alternate size for a wrangler rubicon). Is the backspace difference a deal killing issue too? If so i guess i'm out of luck.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to fit 245/70R16 without a lift with No rubbing .

not sure about the different offset on the moab rims

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fouros, thanks for the response. I'm a little surprised nobody has tried this before. An NTB sprung up almost overnight down the street, I may go over and ask their opinion. Still in no hurry to make a decision and the idea of going with reconditioned renegade rims has grown on me. The silver renegades in the pictures forums look really sharp.

padrino

Reaction score
I'm running the Rubi rims with 255/65/16's without any lift and without any rubbing. Love the wider stance and the fatter meats.

Padrino \:D/

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubi

I have the Rubi's on my unlifted 02 KJ (post lowered production) w/ 245/70/16 and only have minor kissing at full lock.

What is more important is the OAD of the rubber. I think mine are 29.6" The MTR at 31" will not fit mine without a lift.