Moabs and rubbing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Considering getting a set of Moabs. I know they stick out further and are an inch wider, does it make them anymore prone to rubbing, specifically on the pinchweld? Haven't pounded mine yet and I just don't want to. :gr_grin:

I'd run a 245/75 or a 265/70. I'm at 21" up front.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 03 I'm at 21.5 inches, Moabs and 265-70-16s , no rubbing but then have the pinch welds pounded over . I just do them out of habit I guess.
With wheels cut to the left I can just put my fingers in between tire and flattened pinch weld, for example

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be tight on mine then, I'll have to check mine out soon. Thanks!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all the plastics on my bumper still, and I will sometimes catch the lower air dam just a tad, when at full lock. see sig for tires.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How dumb would it be to throw some nuts or something on the wheel studs of the KJ just to simulate the fitment of the Moabs? Maybe space the wheel out a half inch or so. Not going to drive it at all- just want to see how much clearance I have.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moabs are offset of 12 or 13 vs the 42 ish of stock.

3 cm might be about right. Obviously doesn't account for rim width but it will put the center of the rim in the right spot. or a tad less than 1.25 inches in american.

My mambas were
cardhu-albums-phase-2-picture3144-label.jpg

At 22 inches i had to heat gun it and do pinch welds. had some rubbing in reverse when tires were new and springs compressed when backing into a parking space.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
MOAB's are backspaced the same as stock KJ wheels at 5 inches just that they are 8 inches wide where as stock are 7 of course

( in common layman's term's )

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How dumb would it be to throw some nuts or something on the wheel studs of the KJ just to simulate the fitment of the Moabs? Maybe space the wheel out a half inch or so. Not going to drive it at all- just want to see how much clearance I have.

You would have to space the wheel out one inch to be the same as a MOAB.
7 inches wide -vs- the 8 inch wide MOAB, since backspacing is the same.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ i really like those black. The mama type mr1 is $105 a rim.
Tom - how would that compare to my stock rim with the 1.5" spacer? I want to keep that exact same stance

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
moabs are offset of 12 or 13 vs the 42 ish of stock.

3 cm might be about right. Obviously doesn't account for rim width but it will put the center of the rim in the right spot. or a tad less than 1.25 inches in american.

My mambas were
cardhu-albums-phase-2-picture3144-label.jpg

At 22 inches i had to heat gun it and do pinch welds. had some rubbing in reverse when tires were new and springs compressed when backing into a parking space.

I was actually thinking that I might be better off in regards to the pinchweld since as you lift higher, the centerline of the wheel/tire (aka the widest point) is closer to the bottom of the pinchweld (where its at its thickest). So I'm at 21", which might work better.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around offset but thanks for the numbers, I'm going to edu-juh-muh-cate myself.
MOAB's are backspaced the same as stock KJ wheels at 5 inches just that they are 8 inches wide where as stock are 7 of course

( in common layman's term's )

You would have to space the wheel out one inch to be the same as a MOAB.
7 inches wide -vs- the 8 inch wide MOAB, since backspacing is the same.

Thanks for the info.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^ i really like those black. The mama type mr1 is $105 a rim.
Tom - how would that compare to my stock rim with the 1.5" spacer? I want to keep that exact same stance

Find a set of REAL MOABs , they are forged not cast like those Mambas are
Spacers......some like them and run them, I wouldn't recommend them .
Spidertrax are 200 for 4, for that you can by wheels with the proper backspacing and width

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I know- I just upgraded to those a couple weeks ago because I wanted hub centric ones and put the other ones on the 03 with new AT/3s.
I'll keep looking for the real MOABs just don't see them come up on Craig's near me.
I just want the rim to sit where it does now with the stock wheels and 1.5" spacers.
Thanks for the advice Tom!