jeep wheel spacers*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesTapley

Reaction score

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check state and local laws regarding spacers as well before you purchase. For example here in MA they are completely illegal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
SPIDERTRAX
of course by the time you buy them you could just buy wheels that are properly backspaced
I assume you are lifted, if not can't run spacers or other wheels anyways

That website is a joke as well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spacers are rarely the correct answer to a problem that rarely exists.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that site had adapters not spacers. Plus I wouldn't trust those bolts / hardware.
I don't see how how a spacer breaks if you're using OEM grade studs. ARP studs are even better if you want to upgrade.
I'm using them because I don't have cash flow at the moment for rims - just purchased 10 tires for both 02/03 lol

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set on Amazon. Used red loctite on inside set of lugs. I check them when I rotate my tires.

I've had the front end off the ground and they've held up. Also held up chasing a TJ 50mph down a rough trail.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set on Amazon. Used red loctite on inside set of lugs. I check them when I rotate my tires.

I've had the front end off the ground and they've held up. Also held up chasing a TJ 50mph down a rough trail.

I had a set I took in on trade 10-11 years ago ( Spidertrax ) so tested them for 200 miles, removed and sold them .
Even though name brand, still did not trust them
Some of those efay ones are sketchy
Just like any suspension part/ brakes enough can happen let alone adding some other part into the mix that does fail every so often

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the definition of spacers for your area. What you want to run is probably a 5x4.5" to 5x4.5" 'adapter'. :gr_grin:

KJs are lug centric... not hub centric... based on the stock wheels and lugnuts.

I run spacers/adapters year round. Two Spidertrax and two no-names for the summers (OE wheels); and 4 rough-country ones for my winters (JK wheels).

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh. :emotions34:

Sample of 'spacer' that's illegal in some areas:
You must be registered for see images attach

Sample of a cast pot-metal adapter (not recommended):

This style of adapters is what people have the least problems with:

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh. :emotions34:

This style of adapters is what people have the least problems with:

You must be registered for see images

Those are also illegal in some areas
and names cross over , just like pop or beverage

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are also illegal in some areas
and names cross over , just like pop or beverage

Not exactly. If 'spacer' is illegal, and adapter is legal... I disagree. If the part bolts on, and the wheel bolts to it, its an adapter regardless of the bolt patterns involved.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly. If 'spacer' is illegal, and adapter is legal... I disagree. If the part bolts on, and the wheel bolts to it, its an adapter regardless of the bolt patterns involved.

YOU may disagree all you want BUT in the world we live people call them spacers/ adapters etc , crossover name is all that I am saying .
I mean look at the front suspension of the KJs , we have COILOVERs but everyone wants to call them struts . But if you really know suspensions you know that a coilover suspension has upper control arms and a strut suspension does not have upper control arms.
So what I am saying is the name interchanges with some people and adapters, yes adapters ARE illegal in some areas/ states

So?? I love to Debate any topic , must of been why my Debate teacher threw me out of class after beating him 4 times

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.... lots of illegal 1-ton trucks out there because they have adapters... factory. Doesn't really matter what I think.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK.... lots of illegal 1-ton trucks out there because they have adapters... factory. Doesn't really matter what I think.

Factory -vs- aftermarket
factory meaning it is a part installed and supplied from the factory/ manufacturer
and actually those would be a spacer since they space the outside wheel out from the inside tire
at least that is what Ford called them when I worked at the dealership back in the 70s .
and now you are just after the tomato's / tomatoe's :gr_grin::gr_grin:

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laws are typically vague, and how folks use (and maintain) their rides varies greatly.

I attempt to post relevant info in hopes others can draw their own conclusions. My job is done. :winner_third_h4h:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Laws are vague?
In some states if you are caught running spacers and or adapters then you're fined.
Of course most of those states also have Vehicle Inspections annually so either have to remove parts that are not legal or be smart and just don't run them in the first place .
All post on any forum no matter what it is about are relevant, and letting people draw their own conclusions. So my job is done as well then !:happy175:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laws are vague?

It depends. If the clause doesn't differentiate between an adapter and spacer... then its rather vague.

But if its say the Ontario motor vehicle inspection guide, its quite specific.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

Note:
A Spacer is a solid piece of material
intended to offset the wheel outboard. It
has holes in it through which the studs
pass without engaging the spacer.
An Adapter is a spacer that is attached to
the hub with fasteners. The wheel is
attached to the adapter by nuts on
studs mounted in the adapter.

Reject if:
- spacer has been used between any
wheel and hub