Help Wheel and tire fitment options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Hey I'm new here so take it easy on me :gr_grin:
I just bought a 06 libby with a 6 spd, looking to get the wider stance "look" and the biggest tires possible without a lift. I thought about one of those spacer lifts but from what I keep reading throughout the jeep forums they're a no go. With that being said I'm on a budget therefore need to save a bit for a OME setup. I'm thinking of a clevis lift and pinch welds pounded to help ease the options of tires. That being said would 16x7 with 4" of BS work without lifting? and What would the max tire size be with said wheel measurements? I'm torn between the Duratracs and the BFG KO2s any input on the 2 tires in relations to tire wear and strength as I live in a rural area so I take lots of gravel roads and highway in Canada where we get lots of snow. Any body running a similar setup or knows what could work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here so take it easy on me :gr_grin:
I just bought a 06 libby with a 6 spd, looking to get the wider stance "look" and the biggest tires possible without a lift. I thought about one of those spacer lifts but from what I keep reading throughout the jeep forums they're a no go. With that being said I'm on a budget therefore need to save a bit for a OME setup. I'm thinking of a clevis lift and pinch welds pounded to help ease the options of tires. That being said would 16x7 with 4" of BS work without lifting? NO

and What would the max tire size be with said wheel measurements?
245-70-16 without those wheels

I'm torn between the Duratracs and the BFG KO2s any input on the 2 tires in relations to tire wear and strength as I live in a rural area so I take lots of gravel roads and highway in Canada where we get lots of snow. Any body running a similar setup or knows what could work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance I ran Duratracs, did great and got over 90,000 miles out of them , just keep them rotated

NOW, reason why the wheels won't work even with a clevis.
If your suspension is stock then bet it has sagged some, so ever with clevis etc you may only get back to stock height and it will keep sagging. I've had them in my garage that with only 79,000 miles it was sagged almost two inches and worn out 235-70-16s were rubbing

SO, first thing measure from middle of the wheel in front up to the lower side of the flare ( right front please )

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys your very knowledgeable and I trust your input so do you think 245/70/16 is out of the question? Even if I pound the pinch welds and do a clevis lift with isolators in the rear? While keeping stock rims of course

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys your very knowledgeable and I trust your input so do you think 245/70/16 is out of the question? Even if I pound the pinch welds and do a clevis lift with isolators in the rear? While keeping stock rims of course

If you do clevis and top plate ( 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis ) you would gain about 1.25 inches so then 245-70-16s would work,......for a while . But springs will keep sagging so it would only be a temporary fix
rear you could add one extra upper iso per side

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
As for the top plate is there any printable stencil to fabricate one DIY I have access at work to fab just don't really feel like taking the whole front spring shock assembly out just to make a stencil. Cheers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As for the top plate is there any printable stencil to fabricate one DIY I have access at work to fab just don't really feel like taking the whole front spring shock assembly out just to make a stencil. Cheers

Used to be one that was stolen from me floating around somewhere on line, not sure where though. JBA sells them as well

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Damn guess I'm gonna have to spend or create my own stencil for someone to steal from me :signs6:

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
With that being said how much rubbing do you or I should expect with said tire measurements if I did a 3/8" Clevis With no top plate and where do you think I would rub? I don't mind trimming a bit but my province does winter tire financing And winter is around the corner and duratracs and ko2s are considered. So id like to get the tires before then but I have to put my jeep up on stands anyways to do a clutch since it has 262k kms roughly 163k miles on factory clutch I know I'm really surprised too but plan on taking it through the mountains in the dead of winter and doing the clutch for peace of mind, so once it's up on stands I'll make the stencil

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
What about a 1/2" Clevis? Too unsafe? I don't want to endanger my kids or wifey but then again I won't be doing too extreme of offroading....yet

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With that being said how much rubbing do you or I should expect with said tire measurements if I did a 3/8" Clevis With no top plate and where do you think I would rub? I don't mind trimming a bit but my province does winter tire financing And winter is around the corner and duratracs and ko2s are considered. So id like to get the tires before then but I have to put my jeep up on stands anyways to do a clutch since it has 262k kms roughly 163k miles on factory clutch I know I'm really surprised too but plan on taking it through the mountains in the dead of winter and doing the clutch for peace of mind, so once it's up on stands I'll make the stencil

If you just did a 3/8 inch clevis then you would be a little above stock height and could run 245-70-16s, you'd be 1/4 inch above new stock height
No on the 1/2 inch clevis, some do it but it pulls bottom of shock up out of the clevis more than what I like to see .

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Fantastic then I'll do exactly that, I should be happy till I get the proper lift. Thank you for all your replys much appreciated

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Update on lift and tires

So over the weekend I did the clevis lift and 1 rear iso really happy about it especially after fitting the 245/70 16 KO2 's I kept reading through the forums and noticed some guys with the later 05+ had issues with torque specs due to smaller clevis bolts and had their clevis lift slip back to stock without the right amount of conduit nuts and then some say that having all them conduit nuts pressing in their shock assembly causing premature failure....well I decided to devise a plan for that still cheap and effective I took some pics after I got it all in place and on the ground in still thinking I should be done one thing different added one more plate, I used a 3"-2"reducer doubled up found in the same aisle as the conduit nuts to close up most of the gap between the clevis/shock weld lip that most have a problem with conduit nuts slipping by. Still I managed to get my extra (just less than) 3/8 OF clevis lift

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Here's the clevis and plates reducers

Attachments

• 20170909_195005-1.jpg
    20170909_195005-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170909_180523-1.jpg
    20170909_180523-1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 14

Jeepdude204

Reaction score
Before and after pics

Attachments

• ad_1503356975208.jpg
    ad_1503356975208.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170911_165027-1.jpg
    20170911_165027-1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 13

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had any issues with the clevis not holding , the spacers, conduit nuts etc don't hold a thing only for measurement really . Done a lot of 05-07s and no issues. Maybe some just did not get them tight enough