HELP!!! E load rated tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help in deciding if I should buy a set of 225/75/16 cooper STs E load rated tires. Would having E rated tires effect my mpg or anything else??? They would be going on a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. Thanks

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help in deciding if I should buy a set of 225/75/16 cooper STs E load rated tires. Would having E rated tires effect my mpg or anything else??? They would be going on a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. Thanks
An E rated tire is a 10 ply tire. It is heaver than a P rated 6 ply tire. So yes it will have a negative effect on your fuel mileage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also. It will have a harsher ride with the stiffer side walls.
But a 10 ply will give better side wall protection when off roading.
If you go 10 ply. You need to do a chalk test or call the manufacturer for a recommendation for tier pressure. Being it is 10 ply and stiffer. You won't need the P rated psi. When I had a set of 10 ply I ran them at 28 psi front and 25 in the back. This gave me a good tire foot print when I did the chalk test. When I had them set at the recommended P rated 33 psi. The edges of the 10ply tread didn't come into contact with the surface during the chalk test.

Last edited:

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can look up tire inflasion charts on the internet. Your never going to find one for cooper, but load range E, than pick same size Here

the first problem I see is the lowest pressure on this site for that size tire is 35 psi it will carry 1500 lbs (per tire). your jeep might way 4000 lbs spread between 4 tires?

I have never seen a chart go lower than 35psi, but in my 2006 single rear wheel 3500 ram pickup, when empty, I would run the tires down around 25-30 psi empty and never had a problem.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying if I don’t add 500 plus pounds run them at 35 to 40 psi?

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some math and I would have to run them around 45 psi to match the load index of the stock tires at 33 psi.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some math and I would have to run them around 45 psi to match the load index of the stock tires at 33 psi.

45 too much

Like tjkj mentioned 35-40 thats it 45 would be if you have a ton truck etc
not on a KJ , would be a way harsh ride

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now I'll ask, why a 10 ply ??
Just curious

This. I had read a number of other 4x4/Jeep/Offorading articles that state that realistically, no Jeep needs E rated tires.. C at most.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. I had read a number of other 4x4/Jeep/Offorading articles that state that realistically, no Jeep needs E rated tires.. C at most.

Depends on were you wheel it(if you wheel it) as a "D" or "E" rated tire will be better suited for areas that have alot of rocks.

You can't safely air down P metric tires like you can LT tires either.I normally go down between 8-10psi on my KJ with LT tires,couldn't safely go much lower then 20psi on P metric tires.

Personally I would not put anything but a LT tire on a Jeep or a pickup.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For load range D and E tires on a KJ,unless heavily modded(IE 500+lbs added weight) 35-40 psi is good.

believe it or not you will need more psi for the LT tire.
No an LT tire requires less air than a P rated tire. Do to the stiffness of the side wall. Running p rated air pressure in an LT tire on a vehicle that came with p rated tires will cause the tire to crown in the center. That's why you see so many trucks and such with worn out centers on there tires and new looking side tread. Because they are running to much air pressure for what there vehicles weight.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No an LT tire requires less air than a P rated tire. Do to the stiffness of the side wall. Running p rated air pressure in an LT tire on a vehicle that came with p rated tires will cause the tire to crown in the center. That's why you see so many trucks and such with worn out centers on there tires and new looking side tread. Because they are running to much air pressure for what there vehicles weight.

Not saying to run max psi but a LT tire does require more PSI then a P metric.

Usually 5-10psi more.

Those 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups that you are seeing with worn center tread is because they are not using the truck as intended.Running around empty 99% of the time will do that and why there are 2 rear tire psi's listed for those trucks,loaded and unloaded.

Latest posts

Members online