Grease streaks on rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

japan

Reaction score
Ok I told you guys the problem of grease streaks on rims and what mechanic says about being brake dust or tire cleanser. Took to the dealer and they checked it out. Says both front upper arm controls need replacing at $1040. Both front lower ball joints need replacing at $516 Drive belt needs replacing at $275 and realignment at $129. This is a 2005 Jeep Liberty. Do these prices sound right? Oh and says one of cv boot is cracking ( forgot which one) Cost me $129 to find all this out. Can this be done by a drive to home mechanic? He doesn't charge so much.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I told you guys the problem of grease streaks on rims and what mechanic says about being brake dust or tire cleanser. Took to the dealer and they checked it out. Says both front upper arm controls need replacing at $1040. CAN BUY UPGRADED JEEPINBYAL UCAS FOR LESS THAN THAT AND INSTALL IN YOUR DRIVEWAY IN AN HOUR
Both front lower ball joints need replacing at $516 120 BUCKS OR SO IN PARTS
Drive belt needs replacing at $275 NAPA FOR BELT, 15 MINUTE JOB OR LESS and realignment at $129. This is a 2005 Jeep Liberty. Do these prices sound right? Oh and says one of cv boot is cracking ( forgot which one) Cost me $129 to find all this out. Can this be done by a drive to home mechanic? He doesn't charge so much.

CV boot? on rear of front driveshaft ( easy and cheap repair ) or front CV ? again 60-65 bucks from NAPA ( remanned ) if right or left side CV, if right side also do intermediate shaft as well

japan

Reaction score
How are the upgraded upper control arms different from the original upper control arms

japan

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. Ok took it to another shop. Says drive belt perfectly fine. (Did have it replaced 5 years ago). But says front upper arms and front lower ball joints need replacing. Also says steering gear mount bushings and sway bar links need replacing. Also transmission needs chemical flush with of course more fluid added afterwards. And allignment Also brake fluid changed. This Jeep has 86000 miles. I always heard transmission doesn't need flushing. So total for all is 1800. If just do arms, lower ball joints, sway bar and bushings and allignment 1400. What do you think? Says Oreilley brakes in front are causing built up of brake dust on inside of tire and when I hit water causing the streaks on outer rims. Says no grease leaking onto rims. Also says all cv boots fine. Says brake dust is caked up on inside of tire.

japan

Reaction score
The upper arms are 118 a piece and 300 labor. I haven't mentioned upgrading to him. How much more will the upgrade cost?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. Ok took it to another shop. Says drive belt perfectly fine. (Did have it replaced 5 years ago). But says front upper arms and front lower ball joints need replacing. Also says steering gear mount bushings and sway bar links need replacing. Also transmission needs chemical flush with of course more fluid added afterwards. And allignment Also brake fluid changed. This Jeep has 86000 miles. I always heard transmission doesn't need flushing. So total for all is 1800. If just do arms, lower ball joints, sway bar and bushings and allignment 1400. What do you think? Says Oreilley brakes in front are causing built up of brake dust on inside of tire and when I hit water causing the streaks on outer rims. Says no grease leaking onto rims. Also says all cv boots fine. Says brake dust is caked up on inside of tire.

would not do a chemical flush but a fluid exchange. Filter should be changed as well.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your prices aren't outrageous for a dealership.

Can you save money doing it yourself, absolutely.

JBA uca 395 bucks - JeepinByAl

rock auto for rest

moog k3199's 34.79 each x2
mopar tensioner 42.89
gates belt 18.12

CV boot tom listed both options depending on which one you needed. Napa for the CV axle, Driveshaftparts for the end for front driveshaft.

how cheap is your mechanic?

Its also worth noting that these are the premium products and not some cheap discount mevotech POS. Start with the belt tensioner and serpentine belt, if thats over your head take the rest to the mechanic.

Latest posts

Members online