Frankinlift and tire size options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmboy530

Reaction score
I know I know this question has been asked in different ways with so many mixed and confusing answers but I figured I'd ask a couple specifics because I think many people will be in my same boat due to not wanting to lift too high or modify to terribly much. To the point. Running and loving my 07 3.7l liberty with a frankinlift ii and 1.5" spydertrax wheel spacers. Currently mashing the suggest 245 75 16 khumo M/Ts. Trimmed bottem bumper and inner front fenders.
- Now, I would love to run 265 75 16s... I have read so many contradicting vews I figured I'd start fresh here. I read tommud said you must run a 4" lift. The Frankie is rated at 2.5" but people say that varies and can be as much as 3.5"s.

Sooooo
-Must you re-gear to run 265 75 16s. They are 1" taller and 1" wider then my current 245 75 16's and I don't need gears currently.
-with a pounded pinch weld and 1.5" wheel spacers can I trim enough up front to clear these larger tires. This of course mush include turning and flexing.
-simply wondering if they will rub in the rear while flexing.
-lastly, if I must go up in lift what can I do to my frankinlift to get another inch without compromising the ride quality I love so much.

I think this info in one place might be good for a lot of folks who are looking to get the most out of a simple frankinlift without going overboard or spending thousands on a 4" lift.
Thanks guys!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I know this question has been asked in different ways with so many mixed and confusing answers but I figured I'd ask a couple specifics because I think many people will be in my same boat due to not wanting to lift too high or modify to terribly much. To the point. Running and loving my 07 3.7l liberty with a frankinlift ii and 1.5" spydertrax wheel spacers. Currently mashing the suggest 245 75 16 khumo M/Ts. Trimmed bottem bumper and inner front fenders.
- Now, I would love to run 265 75 16s... I have read so many contradicting vews I figured I'd start fresh here. I read tommud said you must run a 4" lift. The Frankie is rated at 2.5" but people say that varies and can be as much as 3.5"s.
THE FRANKY WHEN FULLY SETTLED IN IS 3.5 OR SO AND YES YOU NEED TO REGEAR TO KEEP MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION HAPPY PLUS NO POWER OR GAS MILEAGE WHEN GOING TO A 32 INCH TALL TIRE. 4.10S ARE BARELY ENOUGH FOR 32S AND MORE SUITED TO THE SIZE TIRE YOU CURRENTLY RUN

Sooooo
-Must you re-gear to run 265 75 16s. They are 1" taller and 1" wider then my current 245 75 16's and I don't need gears currently.
-with a pounded pinch weld and 1.5" wheel spacers can I trim enough up front to clear these larger tires. This of course mush include turning and flexing. WHAT ARE YOU MEASUREMENTS NOW? MIDDLE OF THE WHEEL TO BOTTOM OF THE FLARE ?
-simply wondering if they will rub in the rear while flexing.
HOW MUCH BUMPSTOP ARE YOU RUNNING IN THE REAR
-lastly, if I must go up in lift what can I do to my frankinlift to get another inch without compromising the ride quality I love so much.
YOU'LL HAVE SPRING CONTACT IF YOU GO HIGHER

I think this info in one place might be good for a lot of folks who are looking to get the most out of a simple frankinlift without going overboard or spending thousands on a 4" lift.
Thanks guys!

INFO IS ALL IN ONE PLACE :gr_grin:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ALSO only way to go to 4 inches of lift is with the JBA coilovers, only way. Well unless you like UCA/spring contact on every bump
so spending a bit more for the coilovers is not a waste but a must at 4 inches

By the way I run 4.10s with 265-70-16s which are the same height as 245-75-16s and it does great , way better than with stock gearing . You may think you don't need to regear BUT after doing it, well you'll be all smiles

Not only have we done a bunch of lifts here , but also have tried many different things to get more height / more ride quality / better handling / plus power and mileage
so when things are suggested on the real forums ( not fakebook ) then you are getting solid info
LOSTJEEPs and this site are two of the very best for real info and great people on both who have done lifts/ tested them and know from many years of what works/ what doesn't .
Many of us have been playing with KJs since they came out or soon there after, so its not hearsay .

Last edited:

farmboy530

Reaction score
WHAT ARE YOU MEASUREMENTS NOW? MIDDLE OF THE WHEEL TO BOTTOM OF THE FLARE ?
-23" front, 19 3/4"rear. would that be enough clearance?
I went to the all j website and for what its worth they state you can run 265's but require trimming about half of your inner front wheel well. Sound about right? looks about right to me if you can clear the washer fluid container!

-Just the extended ones that come in the Franky. I'm sure getting longer ones would be easy enough if that is all it takes?

-I really don't want to go higher so that's why I'm trying to stuff the larger tire size I want with excess trimming!

4.10S ARE BARELY ENOUGH FOR 32S AND MORE SUITED TO THE SIZE TIRE YOU CURRENTLY RUN
-So if I went to 456s but couldn't get tires right away how would they do with the 245 75 16s? or of I couldn't get the tires to fit and ended up stuck with that gear set? way to low?

Not only have we done a bunch of lifts here , but also have tried many different things to get more height / more ride quality / better handling / plus power and mileage
so when things are suggested on the real forums ( not fakebook ) then you are getting solid info
LOSTJEEPs and this site are two of the very best for real info and great people on both who have done lifts/ tested them and know from many years of what works/ what doesn't .
Many of us have been playing with KJs since they came out or soon there after, so its not hearsay .

-That's why I ask here and love/trust when TOMMUDD comes out to give the best info one can find! It sorts out all the bs back and forth that ends up muddying the "search waters" after hours of random searching!
-So after the info on measurements do you think I should feel safe going up to the 265 75 16s with gearing and trimming, or do you think I would be disappointed with rubbing??? I feel like its close but might be able to pull it off. Its a lot of money for a maybe!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WHAT ARE YOU MEASUREMENTS NOW? MIDDLE OF THE WHEEL TO BOTTOM OF THE FLARE ?
-23" front, 19 3/4"rear. would that be enough clearance?
I went to the all j website and for what its worth they state you can run 265's but require trimming about half of your inner front wheel well. Sound about right? looks about right to me if you can clear the washer fluid container!
23 INCHES IS 4 INCHES OF LIFT IN FRONT BUT WHY IS THE REAR SO LOW ? BY YOUR MEASUREMENTS THE REAR IS ONLY 3/4 INCH OVER NEW STOCK HEIGHT

-Just the extended ones that come in the Franky. I'm sure getting longer ones would be easy enough if that is all it takes?

-I really don't want to go higher so that's why I'm trying to stuff the larger tire size I want with excess trimming!

4.10S ARE BARELY ENOUGH FOR 32S AND MORE SUITED TO THE SIZE TIRE YOU CURRENTLY RUN
-So if I went to 456s but couldn't get tires right away how would they do with the 245 75 16s? or of I couldn't get the tires to fit and ended up stuck with that gear set? way to low?
ONLY WAY TO GO 4.56S IS WITH THE JBA STEEL FRONT DIFF

-That's why I ask here and love/trust when TOMMUDD comes out to give the best info one can find! It sorts out all the bs back and forth that ends up muddying the "search waters" after hours of random searching!
-So after the info on measurements do you think I should feel safe going up to the 265 75 16s with gearing and trimming, or do you think I would be disappointed with rubbing??? I feel like its close but might be able to pull it off. Its a lot of money for a maybe!

If you do in fact have 23 inches in front then yes you can run 265-75-16s with pinch welds pounded over
but measurements don't make sense if rear is that low since you would be way low in the rear

farmboy530

Reaction score
It seemed like it started sagging in the rear very fast. I went with the lower spring rate they offer due to no heavy extras (bumpers or winch ect..) and since i told them I'm not towing the didn't add the rear extra spacer. Maybe I should add the rear spacer? Or maybe just new dull size springs. I think I've been running the lift 2 years and maybe 20,000miles
-one last thought, would the 410 be enough for the 265s?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It seemed like it started sagging in the rear very fast. I went with the lower spring rate they offer due to no heavy extras (bumpers or winch ect..) and since i told them I'm not towing the didn't add the rear extra spacer. Maybe I should add the rear spacer? Or maybe just new dull size springs. I think I've been running the lift 2 years and maybe 20,000miles
-one last thought, would the 410 be enough for the 265s?

Should of went with 927 front and 948 rear springs
Installed over 40 OME lifts on KJs here and everyone of them used those springs with great results.
Now since you're only at 19.75 in the rear, even adding two extra upper isolaters per side, that will only bring you up to 20.75. Still very low and not sitting level with the front . Only real solution is new rear springs ( either OME 948s with two extra isolaters per side or JBA 4 inch springs ) .
As far as 4.10s and 32s, its marginal at best especially when adding in the power it takes to spin 32s etc
I ran 32s and 4.10s on the 04 for a lot of miles ( over 95,000 ) and I can tell you there were a number of times I wished I had 4.56s ( next step up from 4.10s ) But at the time saving up money to bring wife and son here never saved up enough for the JBA steel diff . I now run 31s and 4.10s and its about perfect as far as power, mileage, overall driveability

farmboy530

Reaction score
So after talking to the local gear shop they want just shy of $2000. to do the job. I was expecting around $1200. so that is going to be on hold.. :Insane: Tommudd, thank you for pointing out how low the rear of my jeep is! I think I got used to looking at it. The front is at an exact 23" the rear is a hair under 21". so now since I'm looking into that, if i go with the JBA 4" rear springs should that set me about even, or with a small amount of rake towards the front. I think this is going to be the next step to getting my jeep back on track! I'll stick with 245's for now and gear when I can set some cash aside!

-sorry I tried to attach pics from my phone but the file size is over 4mb and I have no idea how to get it down to 19kb.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So after talking to the local gear shop they want just shy of $2000. to do the job. I was expecting around $1200. so that is going to be on hold.. :Insane: Tommudd, thank you for pointing out how low the rear of my jeep is! I think I got used to looking at it. The front is at an exact 23" the rear is a hair under 21". so now since I'm looking into that, if i go with the JBA 4" rear springs should that set me about even, or with a small amount of rake towards the front. I think this is going to be the next step to getting my jeep back on track! I'll stick with 245's for now and gear when I can set some cash aside!

-sorry I tried to attach pics from my phone but the file size is over 4mb and I have no idea how to get it down to 19kb.....

JBA 4 inch springs will put you at 4 inches ( after settling in ) in the rear
Great springs I ran them on the 04 for about 70000 miles or more with no issues
If you can locate a 4 cylinder KJ they have 4.10 gears as well factory. Easy swap for both the front and rear in an afternoon

Members online

No members online now.