Biggest tires i can run without lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROHO

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals im new to the fourms, so be easy on me. ;)
Anyway i've got a 05 Jeep Liberty 2WD all stock. I was wondering what the biggest size tire is that i could run safely and without any rubbing would be? Without a lift or anything. I ask because my buddy is takeing some almost brand-new tires off his grand cherokee due to a little bit of rubbing on super sharp turns, and he's willing to just give them to me. Im not sure of the size but i think they are 29's.
Also i was wondering, what size are all the stock tires that come on the Libertys?

Thanks, - Kolton.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bro welcome!!
I also have an 05 2wd I'm going 245/75/16 but I'm waiting on my OME/rancho lift.

BTW the tire section has a chart that tells u the width and diameter of tires, it was very usefull for me when I was looking for tires.

ROHO

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure those tires are 245/70R16, im going to go look at them sometime today most likely. That tire chart was pretty helpfull.
Anyway i've got one more question, would my stock rims fit on these new tires? Im not sure but i think their 16's? I know the stock wheels i have are the aluminum one, not the plastic ones. I think the 16 in - 245/70R16, stands for the wheels but im not sure.

Thanks again - Kolton.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thanks for the help guys. Im pretty sure those tires are 245/70R16, im going to go look at them sometime today most likely. That tire chart was pretty helpfull.
Anyway i've got one more question, would my stock rims fit on these new tires? Im not sure but i think their 16's? I know the stock wheels i have are the aluminum one, not the plastic ones. I think the 16 in - 245/70R16, stands for the wheels but im not sure.

Thanks again - Kolton.

Yes, 245-70-16's will fit your stock alloy wheels.

ROHO

Reaction score
Thanks man, i'll most likely be geting them in a few days.

ROHO

Reaction score
Hey, i've got a few more questions :D
When i got of of my Liberty today i saw a sticker inside the door jam, which had all of my tire info on it. It said my stock tires are - P225/75r16. After finding that out i went to a tire conversion site and if the sticker is right..my tires would go from 29.3's to 29.5's? Am i missing something or is this right?

The reason is was going to switch is i go off-road sometimes with my friends. They usally go mudding through some pretty thick stuff and the only time i actully go is when there's just a tiny bit of thin mud.
I was going to switch to these off-roading tires from my stock tires in hope of being able to go though some thicker mud, i only have 2WD though. :(

Would switching to these tires even be worth while? Keep in mind the tires are free..

Thanks for all the help..this forum is the best

- Kolton.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, i've got a few more questions :D
When i got of of my Liberty today i saw a sticker inside the door jam, which had all of my tire info on it. It said my stock tires are - P225/75r16. After finding that out i went to a tire conversion site and if the sticker is right..my tires would go from 29.3's to 29.5's? Am i missing something or is this right?

The reason is was going to switch is i go off-road sometimes with my friends. They usally go mudding through some pretty thick stuff and the only time i actully go is when there's just a tiny bit of thin mud.
I was going to switch to these off-roading tires from my stock tires in hope of being able to go though some thicker mud, i only have 2WD though. :(

Would switching to these tires even be worth while? Keep in mind the tires are free..

Thanks for all the help..this forum is the best

- Kolton.

I am not trying to be an a$$ so dont take it that way
2wd is for on road use and really does not belong off road no matter how mild it is
if you are playing in mud then my guess is that you are blasting through it at a high rate of speed ,remember that for me 10 mph is way to fast for off roading
when you do this it is just way to dangerous get going side ways and clip a tree? a person? another rig? roll your rig?
none of these will end good
I can tell you that clipping a tree going up hill at 5 mph destroyed the fender on my TJ would have been much worse in a KJ

The best thing you can do if you want to go off road is sell the 2wd and get a 4wd
a stock 4wd will go further off road than a lifted and MT'ed 2wd
and come out with almost no damage ,other than a few scratches

sure you can put those tires on and blast through the mud and go a little further than before but get a 4X4 and you can really go off road
I have a picture of my wife in a stock KJ with AT's going up and down hills so steep that the front and rear bumpers drug the ground
front hit going up ,to steep, and going down ,also to steep
same for the rear
a 2wd would have never even started to go up ,no way to get a running start as you would have crashed into the dirt ,remember that the bumper hit
then with out the help of gears to very slowly go down the other side when you got there you would just spin your tires trying to push your way off the ground ,go to fast and you will roll

sorry if I sound like a jerk but fact is 2wd's belong on road

ROHO

Reaction score
Yeah i understand. When i've been going though mud, it's been nothing serious just like a muddy old road. If i want to go mudding i just go with my friends in their trucks. Like i said i understand what you are saying.
Im 16, and was just trying to think about some options. I dont really have the money to get a 4x4. I think i'll just start saveing up my pay checks and buy a 4x4 super old truck or jeep for 1,000 - 2,000 and go in that, and keep my Liberty for driveing every day.

With that being said, i still love my Liberty. Just wish it was 4X4 but it's all good.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i understand. When i've been going though mud, it's been nothing serious just like a muddy old road. If i want to go mudding i just go with my friends in their trucks. Like i said i understand what you are saying.
Im 16, and was just trying to think about some options. I dont really have the money to get a 4x4. I think i'll just start saveing up my pay checks and buy a 4x4 super old truck or jeep for 1,000 - 2,000 and go in that, and keep my Liberty for driveing every day.

With that being said, i still love my Liberty. Just wish it was 4X4 but it's all good.

do like the guy who just started wheeling with us
he had a 2wd Taco and wanted to come wheel
I told him that it was not an option
he saved for a year ,16 at the time, and babied the Taco
sold it and with the money saved bought a TJ

I just helped him lift it
he is running 31" tall MT's
and is now saving for front and rear Quick locks ,lockers
sure it is a 4 ******/auto with a dana 35 but heck by the end of this month
if all goes as planed, he will have the best built and most capable rig in his class I think he said that there is 1 rubicon at his school and another TJ
both still all stock and both scared to go wheel ,even with him

ROHO

Reaction score
do like the guy who just started wheeling with us
he had a 2wd Taco and wanted to come wheel
I told him that it was not an option
he saved for a year ,16 at the time, and babied the Taco
sold it and with the money saved bought a TJ

I just helped him lift it
he is running 31" tall MT's
and is now saving for front and rear Quick locks ,lockers
sure it is a 4 ******/auto with a dana 35 but heck by the end of this month
if all goes as planed, he will have the best built and most capable rig in his class I think he said that there is 1 rubicon at his school and another TJ
both still all stock and both scared to go wheel ,even with him

Thats cool..that what i think im going to do. I think im going to keep the Liberty and just buy a really old truck or jeep to go in, that why i dont blow all my cash.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats cool..that what i think im going to do. I think im going to keep the Liberty and just buy a really old truck or jeep to go in, that why i dont blow all my cash.

going to cost you more to keep an old rig running than it will to buy a newer one

I have an '02 TJ and have spent more than 1/2 what I paid for it on mod's
bought it used with under 30K on it and bone stock girl driven
skid plates were not even scratched
now 1 flop and who knows how many trail scars latter she would not even know it was ever hers
seems that I am spending money every other month on something

MCB

Reaction score
Stupid question

I have a stock 2004 jeep liberty, I was wondering what the biggest size tire I can put on it? I don't want my tires to rub and hit anything.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2004 jeep liberty, I was wondering what the biggest size tire I can put on it? I don't want my tires to rub and hit anything.

Search function is your best friend! Also depends on the condition of your suspension ect, Some people rub with stock size due to old sagged suspension, My stock 03 Renegade ran LT245/75R16 AT's with no rubbing what so ever, If you are not lifted just get a nice set of stock size tires!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a set of these on for a customer today.

Kenda Tires | Automotive | Klever M/T

Cheap, tough, cheap, agressive, and did I mention they're really inexpensive?

(4) 225/75R16 out the door for $571.72

Didn't actually measure em, but they look a bit oversized for the numbers.

Bob

captainsam

Reaction score
Biggest tires with stock and mud flaps

So I just bought some cheap rubber mud flaps on eBay. I know it's blasphemy but I live on a loose gravel road and I'm sick of gravel dust covering my rear window. I'm wondering if having these on will restrict how much tire I can have. I'd like to get as large as possible but I definitely don't want any rubbing. If possible I'd like them big enough to stick out beyond the body a little bit.

I've also considered getting spacers instead of a true lift if I won't be able to accomplish the above all stock. Any suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just bought some cheap rubber mud flaps on eBay. I know it's blasphemy but I live on a loose gravel road and I'm sick of gravel dust covering my rear window. I'm wondering if having these on will restrict how much tire I can have. I'd like to get as large as possible but I definitely don't want any rubbing. If possible I'd like them big enough to stick out beyond the body a little bit.

I've also considered getting spacers instead of a true lift if I won't be able to accomplish the above all stock. Any suggestions?

No on the spacer style lifts , again just no, they are junk and will turn a KJ into a big pile of junk due to wearing out parts faster etc
Second if lifted some run spacers on their wheels but you don't want them out past the flare due to turning radius etc
Stock wheels are 5 inches of backspacing, if lifted go 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing to set the wheels out even with the flare
Third, go for a full spring lift, reason being is the stock springs are very weak, most KJs by the time they have 70-80,000 miles they are sagged anywhere for an inch to two inches
May I also suggest reading through the lift section

captainsam

Reaction score
No on the spacer style lifts , again just no, they are junk and will turn a KJ into a big pile of junk due to wearing out parts faster etc
Second if lifted some run spacers on their wheels but you don't want them out past the flare due to turning radius etc
Stock wheels are 5 inches of backspacing, if lifted go 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing to set the wheels out even with the flare
Third, go for a full spring lift, reason being is the stock springs are very weak, most KJs by the time they have 70-80,000 miles they are sagged anywhere for an inch to two inches
May I also suggest reading through the lift section

Thanks for the good info. I don't plan on doing any serious off roading like many on the site but I do like the look that bigger tires offer. I may end up just getting the biggest stock size and see if that'll be enough for me.

Latest posts

Members online