Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Tires / Wheels

Tires / Wheels

BFG Rugged Terrain vs All Terrain?

This is a discussion on BFG Rugged Terrain vs All Terrain? within the Tires / Wheels forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Since my tire guy can't get me 4 more General AT2 tires at the moment he has offered up a ...

Questions about wheels and tires.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default BFG Rugged Terrain vs All Terrain?

Since my tire guy can't get me 4 more General AT2 tires at the moment he has offered up a good deal on a leftover set of TA/KO and a good deal on the Rugged Terrain... the new tire not to be confused with the Rugged Trail.

I have mauled this over and I just cannot decide. Both deals are really good and pricing isn't really going to be a deciding factor.

Both are good looking tires in different ways so looks aren't really a deciding factor either. Although I do kind of lean toward the TA/KO since the tread pattern is similar to the AT2 tires I have been running. Not sure that is really fair though.

The Rugged Terrain is I believe a standard load P rated tire. The TA/KO is I believe D rated. I do work my Liberty every day, and I do haul a good bit of weight every day. I have been running P's. But maybe I should be running something a little heavier, IDK. Then I think about that I bet the TA/KO tires weigh a good bit more per tire and probably have a stiff ride adding to a ride that already feels heavy and doesn't have a plush ride.

Are any of you guys running either of these 2 tires? I don't know which to choose.

I do get off road and use 4x4 daily while working too. Both look like they have OK tread for my use, without singing like a mud tire going down the road. I am on the pavement a lot too, which is why I don't run a mud tire. Lot of noise and usually they don't wear too good when it's 90 degrees out.

Help
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

I've been wheeling with P rated tires for a years and haven't had an issue with punctures. I almost went with D or E last time but I just didn't want the extra weight. I'd see what the difference in weight is.

Although if you haul stuff and off road daily then I think load range D would be ok, if not optimal. The ATs have a way better tread design. Now I'd vote for the AT.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Either one's better than the Gens you're taking off.

TA/KO is just about the best all around tire available, just pricy.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

M38 Bob

Obviously you don't like Generals. As I was thinking of getting a set of AT2's, I would be interested in why you don't like them.
benherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have no complaints at all with the General AT2. I would get another set of AT2 or a set of the ATX.

My issue is that I do my business with locally owned tire shops. Owners and employees are members of my community. These shops are unable to get me 4 of the AT2 or ATX and it's been ongoing. That being said one of them is a primary General dealer, who has the new ATX advertising set up already and sample tires delivered, etc.

My theory is General has focused their AT production on getting out the most popular sizes of the ATX. So they haven't started producing my size ATX yet, and meanwhile the AT2 stock has ran out already in the smaller pipelines of distribution.

I don't want to take my business elsewhere and I'm getting tired of waiting around. So I have had BFG, Hankook, Cooper, and some others I can't think of suggested to me instead.

I've used several different brands in other applications in the past. But the Liberty has taught me that I better ask other Liberty owners because I have gotten some really pitiful treadwear out of several different sets of tires along the way. I switched to General from Liberty owner advice and got way more mileage from them than anything else I have put on it so far.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Look closely at the Coopers, have some great tires
ltd02 likes this.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Cooo, loo, coo, coo, coo, coo, coo, coooo, Great White North, MB,CAN

AT KO2's on my truck are great. They are heavy and offer about 80% of the traction of my duratracs when i had them on the jeep in snow and such.

Way quieter than the duratracs. But they are heavy and they don't make C's.

The rugged terrain are mostly for show on the sidewall with a highway tread. P rated are less than ideal but lots seem to run them on their pavement princess half tons.

Have you considered Firestone Destination AT?

07 KJ Sport - Sold - OME 927-948 / Bilstein 916-702 / 0.25" JBA Plates / Rear Iso / JBA 4.5 UCA / Mamba MR-1 / 245 75 16 Duratracs / Mopar Skids / Curt Hitch
PARTS for sale

14 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew Plus - Loaded but less interesting
Cardhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

I love my Hankook DynaPro ATMs on my KJ.
sleepyjim likes this.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Cardhu View Post
Have you considered Firestone Destination AT?
Not sure I'd recommend these for the KJ. I've been running a set on my Ranger for about 5 years now. Maybe 40k on them. Always been good in mild stuff (dirt, gravel and lighter snow) and dry pave but they seem pretty slickery in the plain old rain. Pretty easy to break them free on my light ass truck.

"...if it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary…." Mark Twain

"There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away." -Tool
"To live without Hope is to Cease to live." -Dostoevsky
ltd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ltd02 View Post
Not sure I'd recommend these for the KJ. I've been running a set on my Ranger for about 5 years now. Maybe 40k on them. Always been good in mild stuff (dirt, gravel and lighter snow) and dry pave but they seem pretty slickery in the plain old rain. Pretty easy to break them free on my light ass truck.
I had them on the '01 Ram 1500 I had. could plow a foot of snow in 2wd. No weight in the back either.

kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote