Anyone Running 225/75R17?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pizzamankan

Reaction score
Saw the size in the wiki which said they'd fit without a lift with minor rubbing. Tried a search and couldn't find any more info. Is anyone actually running this size? What's your real world experience with it? As far as 17" wheels goes it looks like it's between this and the stock 235/65R17.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw the size in the wiki which said they'd fit without a lift with minor rubbing. Tried a search and couldn't find any more info. Is anyone actually running this size? What's your real world experience with it? As far as 17" wheels goes it looks like it's between this and the stock 235/65R17.

That size would require a lift since its 30.3 inches tall, stock is around 29 inches. Some may have ran them but would be very tight in the wheel wells.
17 inch wheels limits your tire choices to a very few that will actually fit unlifted .

Wiki.....:emotions34:Almost like asking for advice on Fakebook

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also depends on how much your springs have sagged
Middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare would of been 19 inches from the factory, if below that , .....well:emotions34:

pizzamankan

Reaction score
That size would require a lift since its 30.3 inches tall, stock is around 29 inches. Some may have ran them but would be very tight in the wheel wells.
17 inch wheels limits your tire choices to a very few that will actually fit unlifted .

Wiki.....:emotions34:Almost like asking for advice on Fakebook

Hey, thanks for the response! I was a little sceptical of the wiki so I thought I'd ask for some more... reliable and real world information haha.

Also depends on how much your springs have sagged
Middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare would of been 19 inches from the factory, if below that , .....well:emotions34:

I just purchased a Limited and felt like my jeep was just a little higher than some other ones I'd seen, but I figured their suspension had just sagged a bit more. I decided to take some measurements though and this is what I got:

RearR 21 1/8
RearL 21
FrontR 19 3/4
FrontL 20 1/4

Apparently it does have a bit of a lift after all! It looks to be a suspension lift, but I have no idea what brand or spring rate. The only branding I could find was Gabriel Ultra Shocks on the rear.

Back to tires, it looks like there is a fair ammount of room in my wheel wells. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go for it with the 225/75R17 when I have the dough to purchase the new shoes. If it rubs any I'll go ahead and do some trimming. Still though, if anyone has some first hand experience with this size.. I'd love to hear it!

According to the gearing chart this size of tire should give me slightly better fuel economy on the freeway as well. The only disadvantage I could think of is it wouldn't float as well in very deep mud or snow, but that's likely out of the scope of the casual offroading I'd be doing in it on sunmer weekends. Also I'm wondering about appearance. Do you think the cosmetic benefit of a taller tire would be thrown off by it being a narrower (by .5") tire?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the response! I was a little sceptical of the wiki so I thought I'd ask for some more... reliable and real world information haha.

I just purchased a Limited and felt like my jeep was just a little higher than some other ones I'd seen, but I figured their suspension had just sagged a bit more. I decided to take some measurements though and this is what I got:

RearR 21 1/8
RearL 21
FrontR 19 3/4
FrontL 20 1/4

Apparently it does have a bit of a lift after all! It looks to be a suspension lift, but I have no idea what brand or spring rate. The only branding I could find was Gabriel Ultra Shocks on the rear.

Back to tires, it looks like there is a fair ammount of room in my wheel wells. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go for it with the 225/75R17 when I have the dough to purchase the new shoes. If it rubs any I'll go ahead and do some trimming. Still though, if anyone has some first hand experience with this size.. I'd love to hear it!

According to the gearing chart this size of tire should give me slightly better fuel economy on the freeway as well. The only disadvantage I could think of is it wouldn't float as well in very deep mud or snow, but that's likely out of the scope of the casual offroading I'd be doing in it on sunmer weekends. Also I'm wondering about appearance. Do you think the cosmetic benefit of a taller tire would be thrown off by it being a narrower (by .5") tire?

Taller tires will not give more gas mileage on a KJ, As far as lift you only have 3/4 more on one side so they WILL rub ( 225-75-17 ) or be real darn close. I would say you need new front suspension, springs and shocks, both.
Charts for tire size etc for these is off most times, built a lot of these for customers, and also helped a lot of friends build theirs ( well over 40 KJs have been lifted/ built here at my place) so have a bit of first hand experience

Not much trimming to be done, can " POUND OVER " the pinch weld which helps some but still sounds like you have a worn out lift, pictures needed of the front and rear springs and shocks