245 75 R16 on stock KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juggar

Reaction score
Turns out the tires are 245 75 R16 on the jeep I got from auction.

I dont know much, but it seems to be stock (no lift).

It drives just fine, besides the left rear wheel arch metal thats bowed out digging into the tire off road (body shop dealing with this).

Any one know if I should lift this thing a bit? They are nearly brand new tires so im not going back to the right size.

Samsolo49

Reaction score

It drives just fine, besides the left rear wheel arch metal thats bowed out digging into the tire off road (body shop dealing with this).

Any one know if I should lift this thing a bit? They are nearly brand new tires so im not going back to the right size.
For 245/75/16 I have the 1.5" old man emu lift and had to pound over the pinch weld at the rear of the front wheel well. I wouldn't go back to stock, looks way better with a bit more meat tires under them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

First I am positive springs have sagged
So either 800 bucks for a new OME suspension netting you 2.5 inches OR sell the 245-75-16s and go back to stock
I would never try and run that size on stock sagged suspension
Only two options you have
Chances are it does not have a lift unless spacer lift which is total junk from the get go

Last edited:

Juggar

Reaction score
Man that thing has to be rubbing like hell.

It really doesn't seem to be, im going to have to take a closer look. Who knows what the last owner did to it. Except for the bowed out metal digging into a tire over large dips/bumps at speed(which I may just grind off since its under the plastic wheel arch thing).

The tires were put on in Sept 2017 when the last owner (dealership) had it and the size is off enough that they must have known what they were doing.

Might even give that dealer a call and ask about it. seemed to be one of those vehicles smaller dealerships use for awhile but dont sell.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It really doesn't seem to be, im going to have to take a closer look. Who knows what the last owner did to it. Except for the bowed out metal digging into a tire over large dips/bumps at speed(which I may just grind off since its under the plastic wheel arch thing).

The tires were put on in Sept 2017 when the last owner (dealership) had it and the size is off enough that they must have known what they were doing.

Might even give that dealer a call and ask about it. seemed to be one of those vehicles smaller dealerships use for awhile but dont sell.

DO NOT GRIND OFF, DO NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:emotions34:

And no small lots DO NOT know what they are doing, trust me I've looked a few Jeeps over the years on small dealer lots and 99.9% were full of crap

Juggar

Reaction score
DO NOT GRIND OFF, DO NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:emotions34:

And no small lots DO NOT know what they are doing, trust me I've looked a few Jeeps over the years on small dealer lots and 99.9% were full of crap

Its just the sheet metal on the outside that is pinched, nothing load bearing. I will see what the body shop says, they may fix it for me.

Hard to explain without being there to see it.

I also checked and saw no evidence of a lift of any kind. So, as time and money allows, will likely put a lift on it.

I suppose everyone here is partial to OME and thats the preferred choice?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that's the pinch weld, pound it over do not grind like tom said.

many threads on it if you search

Juggar

Reaction score
yeah that's the pinch weld, pound it over do not grind like tom said.

many threads on it if you search

This damage is from a sideswipe on the left rear, causing the metal above the left rear wheel well to bow out in a way that causes a jagged edge. Ive attached an image. The body shop is scheduled to fix the door early May. during the meantime, I will install a new sound system and have a shop install a lift kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

private image upload

https://www.copart.com/lot/22890438

I can get this lift for $410 and its not some crappy spacer lift kit. Its not high end, but looks like it will do the job on a $2100 salvage jeep:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BDS-Suspen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

EDIT: I picked up the kit for $410.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This damage is from a sideswipe on the left rear, causing the metal above the left rear wheel well to bow out in a way that causes a jagged edge. Ive attached an image. The body shop is scheduled to fix the door early May. during the meantime, I will install a new sound system and have a shop install a lift kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

private image upload

https://www.copart.com/lot/22890438

I can get this lift for $410 and its not some crappy spacer lift kit. Its not high end, but looks like it will do the job on a $2100 salvage jeep:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BDS-Suspen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

EDIT: I picked up the kit for $410.

Send it back, shaking head and almost walking away BUT
you are only buying 4 springs basically. The rear shocks are junk and does not come with front shocks. 4 OME spring are 340 bucks
The springs are OK but why pay 70 bucks more than OMEs ?

Juggar

Reaction score
Send it back, shaking head and almost walking away BUT
you are only buying 4 springs basically. The rear shocks are junk and does not come with front shocks. 4 OME spring are 340 bucks
The springs are OK but why pay 70 bucks more than OMEs ?

I looked for a kit online and with 15% off at eBay right now, seemed to be a good deal. Im quite the layperson when it comes to suspension related things and found that buying a pre assembled kit was more convenient for me.

It doesn't have to be the best, and will likely see 3000-4000 miles a year, if that.

I wish I could afford better but it has to be kept within a reasonable budget for a vehicle thats not a daily driver.

Thanks for the advice, in your opinion should the front shocks be replaced? and if so, what should I buy to "complete" this kit?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked for a kit online and with 15% off at eBay right now, seemed to be a good deal. Im quite the layperson when it comes to suspension related things and found that buying a pre assembled kit was more convenient for me.

It doesn't have to be the best, and will likely see 3000-4000 miles a year, if that.

I wish I could afford better but it has to be kept within a reasonable budget for a vehicle thats not a daily driver.

Thanks for the advice, in your opinion should the front shocks be replaced? and if so, what should I buy to "complete" this kit?

You need front and rear shocks.
You are not buying a complete kit at all. OME sells complete kits all 4 springs and all 4 shocks .
Get at least Bilstein shocks, front are just stock, rear are 99-04 Dodge Dakota CLUB CAB 4x4 shocks , make sure that is what you are buying
Of course you're going to have more tied up now , but..........
$835. you would of had all 4 shocks and springs ( OME )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
4 Bilstein shocks from shockwarehouse are $416.00
The correct ones
plus your 4 springs brings you to 826 bucks
so you are ahead by a few dollars
But then again you need the bushing kit for the rear shocks from jeepinbyal yet

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes you never install worn out shocks on new springs and vice versa

Juggar

Reaction score
Yes you never install worn out shocks on new springs and vice versa

So the front shocks stay the stock OEM size? I will absolutely buy some Bilstiens for the front since these stock ones have 96k miles on them.

When I changed out the shocks on my old 1998 explorer with 220k miles they compressed under their own weight, it was that bad so I certainly dont want to reuse old parts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So the front shocks stay the stock OEM size? I will absolutely buy some Bilstiens for the front since these stock ones have 96k miles on them.

When I changed out the shocks on my old 1998 explorer with 220k miles they compressed under their own weight, it was that bad so I certainly dont want to reuse old parts.

Yes fronts take stock numbers
33-185859 works for the rear

Juggar

Reaction score
I got my lift kit installed awhile back, and the door professionally replaced and resprayed ($700...).

Its looks great with the kit but ******** it needs either a LOT more power or at least 4.10 gears. Realistically, id be happy with 300 HP buts thats never happening so.... gear change.

Im guessing the tires are throwing it off. The shop even commented on the lack of mid range power after they installed the lift kit. I mean, itll go but the ******** way it shifts and such, it ends up being full throttle at times.

itll go 100 MPH but I need power down low, I dont care about top speed AT ALL.

Can those tires with 3.73's really make it that much of a dog? Done all maintenance, fresh plugs, oil, air filter, injector cleaner in gas. Plugs that came out were 100% original and making the engine vibrate at idle.... I hate owners that dont maintain their cars.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re still referring to the 245s? I had those on my stock KJ when I first bought it and had no power issues
Try 31s :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my lift kit installed awhile back, and the door professionally replaced and resprayed ($700...).

Its looks great with the kit but ******** it needs either a LOT more power or at least 4.10 gears. Realistically, id be happy with 300 HP buts thats never happening so.... gear change.

Im guessing the tires are throwing it off. The shop even commented on the lack of mid range power after they installed the lift kit. I mean, itll go but the ******** way it shifts and such, it ends up being full throttle at times.

itll go 100 MPH but I need power down low, I dont care about top speed AT ALL.

Can those tires with 3.73's really make it that much of a dog? Done all maintenance, fresh plugs, oil, air filter, injector cleaner in gas. Plugs that came out were 100% original and making the engine vibrate at idle.... I hate owners that dont maintain their cars.

Common sense to regear, the 3.7s like to run at a higher RPM, so need to regear so you have they lower end torque when running 55-60

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You’re still referring to the 245s? I had those on my stock KJ when I first bought it and had no power issues
Try 31s :gr_grin:

He has basically 31s, 245-75-16s are same height as a 31-10.50-15 or 265-70-16s , very little difference overall

And yes I run 4.10s with 265-70-16s on my DD