245/75-16/2.5" lift/pinch weld rubbing question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just read all the tire stickies and still have a question about pinch weld rubbing. I'm about to initiate (probably 3-6 mo. project) major work on my 2007 KJ Sport. First will be a 2.5" Frankenlift. The big question will be what tire size to use? Quite simply, I don't want to smash, pound or whatever the the pinch weld as I live in a a major rust area and I will drive the vehicle on the beach.

Will a 245/75-16 rub the pinch weld with a 2.5" lift? Some of the stickies said no, other reader comments said maybe. For those that have a 2.5" lift and 245/75-16 - what is your experience with these tires and minor rubbing?

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All depends on the type of tire, the rims /wheels you will be using etc. Not a big deal to pound the pinch welds and no rust issues after doing mine over 4 years ago. and I deal with winter time salt and crap on the roads. I could of ran 245-75-16s Good year MTRs on Moabs and the pinch weld would of been OK but then I had about 3.5 inches of lift so.........

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 245/75 Treadwright MT/Rs (which have a bit more tread to them than average) with a 2.5" Daystar lift don't rub the pinch weld, but do rub the sway bar at full lock and the plastics in front of the tire from time to time. Since you're going with a Frankenlift you'll be eliminating any sag of the springs and will probably sit a little higher than mine, I wouldn't worry about the pinch welds in your case either way with that tire size.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Staying with stock rims

Hi Tom and Spidey,

Thanks for your comments. I'll very definitely go with the 245/75-16. I'm sticking with the stock rims as to not get into changes in offset and backspacing. Right now my KJ has 245/70 Yokohama, but it's a P-rated tire. I want the 75 aspect so I can go to LT with at least a C rating. Probably the new Goodyear Durotrac, but maybe Bridgestone Revo. First things first, have to purchase and install the Frankenlift for Christmas. The vehicle is destined for two very different types of mountain roads - sharp limestone rocks in the Sierra Madre Oriental of northeastern Mexico and broken and usually slippery wet shale in the Alleghenies of PA and WV.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just read all the tire stickies and still have a question about pinch weld rubbing. I'm about to initiate (probably 3-6 mo. project) major work on my 2007 KJ Sport. First will be a 2.5" Frankenlift. The big question will be what tire size to use? Quite simply, I don't want to smash, pound or whatever the the pinch weld as I live in a a major rust area and I will drive the vehicle on the beach.

Will a 245/75-16 rub the pinch weld with a 2.5" lift? Some of the stickies said no, other reader comments said maybe. For those that have a 2.5" lift and 245/75-16 - what is your experience with these tires and minor rubbing?

Thanks.

dude you live in brownsvill TX
that is no different than N.O. LA
I had to pound 1 of the 2 pinches ,who knows why
and rust is of no issue
been that way for 3 years
also have little to no paint on the skids and sliders on the TJ for the past 5 years and it has been all over the south east with only minor surface rust
do not worry about it and pound away
other wise fitting 245/75's will almost be out

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running the daystar lift right now (waiting on my OME springs and Rancho struts). I am running 245/70/17's which are about .1 inches taller than yours. I get a little rubbing at full lock. most of the rubbing is on the front fenders, but occasionally it will rub the pinch welds. Nothing worth freaking out about. I could trim the fenders, but its not bad enough to break out the torch and dremel.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the Frankenlift I (2.5" lift) installed over the weekend at All J. I am running 245/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T's. Before the lift I had minor rubbing at full steering lock going forward - none in reverse! :rolleyes:

The folks at All J convinced me to let them pound the pinch welds down and trim some plastic. They said that if I didn't, I would likely experience some rubbing in the tire size I currently have (245/75/16) even even with the lift, and definitely if I ever went with a larger size. (They suggested the largest to go with minimal issues with the Frankenlift I that I got would be 255's.)

They did a good clean job of it, and it looks nice. No rubbing at all, now.

Here's some pics!

Before:

You must be registered for see images attach

After Frankenlift I:

Posin...:

:D

Last edited:

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very informative.

Thanks. Very informative. Definitely looks like this is the modification route I will be taking.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Frankenlift II Premium with OME HD's all around, and an extra set of isolators in the rear. I'm running 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Wrangler Rubicon rims. I had to trim the plastic under the fog lamp doors up front, and get a tiny amount of rubbing on the plastic covering the pinch weld and up front around the area I trimmed. It's not anywhere near enough for me to really worry about. When I move to the 265/75R16 Duratracs next year it sure is though.

Before

You must be registered for see images

After

You must be registered for see images

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/75 16 BFG KMs with around 2.5 - 3 inch lift and only rub the front of the fender liner right above the fog light doors ('04) at close to full lock. I only hear it in reverse. I'm nowhere near the pinch weld. dont' worry about it...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ome/rancho lift(2.25") w/ 245/75/16's on black rock 16x7 w/ 4.5" backspace with pinchwelds pounded and I still rub alot.:pp:
Where do you rub at and also measure from middle of wheel to bottom of flare to see where you are actually sitting at. 2.25 inch lift from where did you measure.
Just saying I've seen some say they had a 3 inch lift and when you measure its more like 1.5 inches

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you rub at and also measure from middle of wheel to bottom of flare to see where you are actually sitting at. 2.25 inch lift from where did you measure.
Just saying I've seen some say they had a 3 inch lift and when you measure its more like 1.5 inches

Tom makes a good point. My lift of just OME 926 (Medium) springs netted me a measured 3" of suspension lift. But I have to assume at least 1" or more of that was due to sag in the old springs. So to be accurate, what is the wheel well to hub center on a stock Liberty? Does that change on Rennys with the "Bolt-on" flares?

On another post where I mentioned I was experiencing some slight rub with my 245/75-16 Goodyear MT/Rs on Wrangler Rubicon (Moab) rims, Tom mentioned I might not have enough lift. That could be true.

I have only the OME 926 springs w/ no clevis or top plates. The front has settled some since the install 6 months ago, and I do need to do a bit of leveling. I didn't go any higher as I was concerned about keeping the UBJ and alignment happy. As soon as I can get some JBA replacements, I'll probably go another 1/2" or so.

The rubbing isn't to bad, just enough to wear a small hole in the fenderwell liner over the pinch weld, and just some light touching on the backside of the bumber assembly. Another 1/2" and it would be great!

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Measured from center hub to edge of fender,(23") more than 2.5" lift if stock is 19". I rub in the front of the wheel well all along where the fog lights are, and rub a little on the pinch weld at full lock.
If I articulate and turn at the same time... it gets ugly! Believe it or not, I never rubbed until I installed some JBA UCA 4.5's.

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I am surprised. You have almost 4" of lift and are having rubbing issues with 245's? I would not expect rubbing with 265's with that much lift.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 245/75 Treadwright MT/Rs (which have a bit more tread to them than average) with a 2.5" Daystar lift don't rub the pinch weld, but do rub the sway bar at full lock and the plastics in front of the tire from time to time. Since you're going with a Frankenlift you'll be eliminating any sag of the springs and will probably sit a little higher than mine, I wouldn't worry about the pinch welds in your case either way with that tire size.

So is that why the frankenlift is better than ome/rancho? Does it really eliminate sagging? If so how.