225/65/r17 on stock 2004 kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddiego

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

sorry if this is going to seem like a bit of a dumb question but I couldnt find any specific info on this size and i just want to make sure there wont be any issues. I'm currently running 235/65/r17 and want to get the BF K02 225/65/r17 (because they don't make them on my current size) i was told by the people at tirerack that there wouldn't be an issue going down but I was also recommended to ask here. I was also told i could go 245/65/r17 but that would be causing rubbing which i do not want. would there be any issues by going a smaller size? im mainly getting them for the supposed snow is coming here in vancouver and the logging roads. thanks! :)

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the 245/75/r16 goodyear duratrac, and my rubbing is extremely minimal, like i didnt even bend my pinch welds and im getting the slightest rub at full lock, ive got a stock 2002 kj LE and the goodyear duratrac are #1 for snow from what ive read, i live in south texas so snow isnt something I see all that often so I cant speak for myself, im not to familiar with the 245/65/.. but im assuming that there would be less than what ive got for rubbing or none at all, good luck to you brother!

ddiego

Reaction score
I went with the 245/75/r16 goodyear duratrac, and my rubbing is extremely minimal, like i didnt even bend my pinch welds and im getting the slightest rub at full lock, ive got a stock 2002 kj LE and the goodyear duratrac are #1 for snow from what ive read, i live in south texas so snow isnt something I see all that often so I cant speak for myself, im not to familiar with the 245/65/.. but im assuming that there would be less than what ive got for rubbing or none at all, good luck to you brother!

thank you for the reply casey! unfortunately i am running 17" :( which is why im looking more towards going down a size rather than up. I just need to make sure i wont have any issues fitting the tire before i spend the $1000+

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/65/17 to 225/65/17 will NOT be an issue for fitment. The 225's will be roughly 1/2" shorter and 1/2" narrower than the 235's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never run or tell anyone ever to downsize on tires, bad idea
245-65-17 would be a much better way to go, of course assuming your springs and shocks are in good condition

ddiego

Reaction score
I would never run or tell anyone ever to downsize on tires, bad idea
245-65-17 would be a much better way to go, of course assuming your springs and shocks are in good condition

uh oh... bad idea in what sense...? am i putting myself at risk for doing so?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
uh oh... bad idea in what sense...? am i putting myself at risk for doing so?

Tire sizes for all vehicles are almost always the minimum size and weight requirements for that particular model . Dropping down in size decreases your load range etc ( what you can safely haul, plus weight of vehicle )

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you ever want to downsize in tires? That makes zero sense to me..
The set tire size from the factory should be the minimum you ever run because they were designed to be the best fit for a stock KJ

Didn’t see your response Tom

ddiego

Reaction score
Tire sizes for all vehicles are almost always the minimum size and weight requirements for that particular model . Dropping down in size decreases your load range etc ( what you can safely haul, plus weight of vehicle )

hmmm i get it. i dont understand why tirerack told me there wouldn't be an issue installing them then :shrug: i suppose i can go the larger size hoping that wont cause issues

Why would you ever want to downsize in tires? That makes zero sense to me..
The set tire size from the factory should be the minimum you ever run because they were designed to be the best fit for a stock KJ

Didn’t see your response Tom

i was only considering because they dont have the k02s on my size and i was told by tirerack and my local canadian tire that there wouldn't be an issue going with that size, but i wanted to make sure so i asked here. go bigger then?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go bigger because your suspension is going to be sagged if not upgraded as well and you’d rub everywhere
Stay with stock size until you lift

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

While I do agree to a point, the load rating of the tire has to be looked at also.

Most 235/65/17's on tire rack's site are 104 load indexed for 1984 lbs. per tire. The KO2's that are mentioned are "D" rated and have a load index of 107 which is 2149 lbs. per tire.

Therefore, even though they are smaller, they will work and will not be a safety concern as far as the load. In fact, whatever loads are carried can theoretically be done so safer with the higher load rating, as long as the vehicle ratings are not exceeded.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm i get it. i dont understand why tirerack told me there wouldn't be an issue installing them then :shrug: i suppose i can go the larger size hoping that wont cause issues

i was only considering because they dont have the k02s on my size and i was told by tirerack and my local canadian tire that there wouldn't be an issue going with that size, but i wanted to make sure so i asked here. go bigger then?

Depends on amount of sag you have
Measure left front, middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare
I've seen a lot of them 1-1.5 inches lower than new stock so even stock size rubbed

Latest posts

Members online