Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Tires / Wheels

Register to remove these ads.

Tires / Wheels

2006 with Ford Explorer rims? TPS?

This is a discussion on 2006 with Ford Explorer rims? TPS? within the Tires / Wheels forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! My new to me 2006 limited has the 17" rims. But they have ...

Questions about wheels and tires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 with Ford Explorer rims? TPS?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
My new to me 2006 limited has the 17" rims.
But they have corrosion in the center, around the center cap.

I could probably refinish this part, but my brother has a (dead) 200? something Ford Explorer with 17" fancy wheels with brand new 245/65/17 tires on them.
His tires are more off road oriented than I would like, but my liberty came with some Geolanders on it that look pretty new but are singing more than I like (and they are directional so I can't X them).

My liberty will see some beach use and I don't think aggressive off road tires are the first choice.

Anyway, I have a feeling the ford wheels may fit, and I don't think going form 235 to 245 is going to make any difference, but do I need to move all the Jeep TPS sensors over to the Ford rims? or maybe this is an engineering standard and the ford sensors may work with a jeep?
towpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by towpro View Post
My new to me 2006 limited has the 17" rims.
But they have corrosion in the center, around the center cap.

I could probably refinish this part, but my brother has a (dead) 200? something Ford Explorer with 17" fancy wheels with brand new 245/65/17 tires on them.
His tires are more off road oriented than I would like, but my liberty came with some Geolanders on it that look pretty new but are singing more than I like (and they are directional so I can't X them).

My liberty will see some beach use and I don't think aggressive off road tires are the first choice.

Anyway, I have a feeling the ford wheels may fit, and I don't think going form 235 to 245 is going to make any difference, but do I need to move all the Jeep TPS sensors over to the Ford rims? or maybe this is an engineering standard and the ford sensors may work with a jeep?
Check the center hole to make sure they fit over, some have a smaller hole and won't work
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have you verified the bolt pattern matches your vehicle?
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Have you verified the bolt pattern matches your vehicle?
Ford Ranger and Explorer have same bolt pattern we do
plus most are 7 inches wide and 4.5 inches of backspacing
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Ford Ranger and Explorer have same bolt pattern we do
plus most are 7 inches wide and 4.5 inches of backspacing
Nice.. i didn't know.. but I've seen lots of people assume all wheels with the same number of lug bolts also have the same pattern and spacing, which is, clearly, not true.

The next question is, do Rangers or Explorers even have wheels that are desirable to put on a Jeep!?
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

my brother put some fancy wheels of an early 200? ford explorer on his wrangler to replace steel. than donated explorer to fire company. He had to use a sanding drum to open the hole in the ford wheels just a little to fit his jeep.

Both my wheels and the wheels on the ford explorer I am looking at are made by same company, and both have corrosion under clear coat in the center area between the lug nuts. not worth the time to switch them.
towpro is offline   Reply With Quote