2.5-3" Lift, No Other Mods - Safe Tire Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuing my hours of reading, I found these two (2) posts to be helpful with my question, but didn't hit my specific need-to-know:

>>> Rookie needs help with tires/rims before I make a costly mistake

>>> 245/75-16/2.5" lift/pinch weld rubbing question

I'm looking for guidance on this ...

With:
- The recommended 2.5-3" lift (will never go any higher)
- No pinch weld modification
- No Fender Liner modification or other trimming
- 3.73 gears, no plans on changing
- Preferred no rubbing, insignificant rubbing acceptable
- Assume Tire Selected will be BFG's AT T/A KO2's

> What is the optimal Tire Size on stock 16x7's?
> What is the optimal Tire Size on Rubicon 16x8 MOAB's?

Caveats:
I'd accept an answer that the MOAB rim is not an option (mine would just be for sale afterwards). I'd accept an answer to stick with the factory tire size of 235/70-16 (just looking to max the potential possibilities).

Also, just to mention, I'm not against the mods mentioned here at all - good stuff, just not in "my" particular plans with this KJ.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to tell...as every KJ tends to be slightly different. I rub my 265/70s on moabs with 4" of lift, while others do not.

Right off the bat I would say skip the Moabs due to the extra inch in width. That's where the pinch weld kills you. If you modify the pinch weld, you should have zero problems with the wheels. It's not a hard nor dangerous modification whatsoever. Best tire size here would more than likely be 255/70 or 245/75 (The latter with minimal sidewall protection...not ideal). I wouldn't recommend 265/70s due to my slight rub with 4" of lift.

I would guess that your best bet would be 245/75/16s on stock wheels. You MIGHT rub a little bit...but shouldn't be much if any. Without the extra inch in width of the tire you will clear fenders and what not much easier. Other, smaller options to consider would be 215/85 (skinny and tall), 235/75 (kinda skinny, but shorter), and 245/70 (the least skinny, but the shortest)...but my recommendation would be to try 245/75s.

Keep in mind that the BFG tire might have a wider tread area, making it more susceptible to rubbing in WIDER sizes, as opposed to skinnier sizes.

Addition: I don't have much experience with the stock wheels...but with their high backspacing, you may see more rubbing towards the inside of the fender rather than the outside, AKA the sway bar and the likes.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75 has better options in off-road style tires, 255/70 mostly has Street and all terrain styles 235/85 fit on mine fine at 3" tall narrow tires but they were commercial AS tires off the back of my dualie lol

My 255s were weak in the sidewall department that was my biggest complaint with them. Other than that they were great tires, i replaced them with 245 m/ts then with 31x10.5 generals, I've never had rubbing issues except with the 255s with 3" lift and running spidertrax spacers it rubbed the fog light access doors but it wasn't bad , which is fixable

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2 on the above.

I have 245/70/17s which are the same as 245/75/16s, with about 2.5" of lift, and no rubbing. Had to trim the air dam and the front of wheel wells a bit, but left the pinchweld alone. I actually just passed on a set Moabs for these reasons....thought they'd create some problems for no benefit (I like my stock wheels just fine).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Continuing my hours of reading, I found these two (2) posts to be helpful with my question, but didn't hit my specific need-to-know:

>>> Rookie needs help with tires/rims before I make a costly mistake

>>> 245/75-16/2.5" lift/pinch weld rubbing question

I'm looking for guidance on this ...

With:
- The recommended 2.5-3" lift (will never go any higher)
- No pinch weld modification
- No Fender Liner modification or other trimming
- 3.73 gears, no plans on changing
- Preferred no rubbing, insignificant rubbing acceptable
- Assume Tire Selected will be BFG's AT T/A KO2's

> What is the optimal Tire Size on stock 16x7's?
> What is the optimal Tire Size on Rubicon 16x8 MOAB's?

Caveats:
I'd accept an answer that the MOAB rim is not an option (mine would just be for sale afterwards). I'd accept an answer to stick with the factory tire size of 235/70-16 (just looking to max the potential possibilities).

Also, just to mention, I'm not against the mods mentioned here at all - good stuff, just not in "my" particular plans with this KJ.

with those perimeters
245-70-16s on stock wheels
255-70-16s on the Moabs
guaranteed no trimming/ not much if any loss of power since you're staying stock gearing

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to tell...as every KJ tends to be slightly different. I rub my 265/70s on moabs with 4" of lift, while others do not.

I agree ... reading through now 100's of posts, it seems there are always multiple answers / experiences.

with those perimeters
245-70-16s on stock wheels
255-70-16s on the Moabs
guaranteed no trimming/ not much if any loss of power since you're staying stock gearing

So, in case I don't sell/trade out of my MOAB's, to confirm - "255-70-16" is the safest tire size with no trimming, hammering, or re-gearing?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree ... reading through now 100's of posts, it seems there are always multiple answers / experiences.

So, in case I don't sell/trade out of my MOAB's, to confirm - "255-70-16" is the safest tire size with no trimming, hammering, or re-gearing?

with 2.5-3 inches of lift should not be.
with 2.5 inches and 265-70-16s I had to do pinch weld, wasn't touching but too close for me and do light trimming in front

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with my 255/70 16s on 16x7 cragars with 4' bs i had to do some trimming, also a regear is not needed but noticable power mpg loss and trans gets confused around 45-50 mph....nothing that would REQUIRE a regear for a DD but i am doing it as it will be beneficial....but will also probably up my tire size then also

still get very minor rubbing in reverse while turning. pinch welds also needed pounded

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running 245/75/17 with stock 5 spoke 17" wheels and 2 1/2" lift. Barely hit inner wheel liners which I trimmed.

Dave

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 245/75/17 with stock 5 spoke 17" wheels and 2 1/2" lift. Barely hit inner wheel liners which I trimmed.

Dave

Having a harder time than I thought moving my MOAB's - might end up using them.

So, with 255-70-16's - on 16" MOAB's - what's the unmodified pinch weld rubbing potential? I could even stand to go down another size if there's a potential. I'll have at-least a proper 2.5" lift installed before.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, with 255-70-16's - on 16" MOAB's - what's the unmodified pinch weld rubbing potential? I could even stand to go down another size if there's a potential. I'll have at-least a proper 2.5" lift installed before.

theres definitely a potential, pounding the pinch weld over is super easy though, i did it with the wheel still on

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Never seen a set of Moabs sit for long , whats your price and what part of the state ?
Will be in Winston Salem area a few times over next couple of weeks

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen a set of Moabs sit for long , whats your price and what part of the state ?

yep i am looking for some to either buy or trad for my cragars with cash

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in Southern NC, right on the NC/SC border, in the dinky town of Laurinburg.

I actually prefer to trade the MOAB's for a good set of 5 aluminum 16x7's off a Liberty (the "5-star" type). My factory wheels are steel. I've had a few offers for that, just can't seem to find a set w/o curb rash. My MOABs have paint chips on the outer lips, but no rash.

I gotta ad on the Fayetteville Craigslist w/ pics. Just search Jeep Wheel* - typed just like that, and they'll show up.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?! Did you try selling them on this forum or on Lost Jeeps? Should sell quick... did you overprice them?

Just Craigslist ... started the pricing out @ what I have in them. What's a good price for "B" grade 13-yr old MOAB's??

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Craigslist ... started the pricing out @ what I have in them. What's a good price for "B" grade 13-yr old MOAB's??

Not sure exactly... I've seen people able to grab a set of four for $200, and I've seen sets of five go for as high as $650.

Personally, I'd not want to spend more than $100 per wheel in excellent condition, given what I can buy aftermarket wheels for. But that's just me.

Pol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a set of 5 stock 5 star wheels but I'll be swapping them out in the coming months for some Alcoa's I picked up. I was going to try to sell them but I'd trade you for your MOABS.

I'm in Fargo,ND so shipping would probably be necessary.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running a set of 5 stock 5 star wheels but I'll be swapping them out in the coming months for some Alcoa's I picked up. I was going to try to sell them but I'd trade you for your MOABS.

I'm in Fargo,ND so shipping would probably be necessary.

Shipping would be a big hit ... and too, last time I had a wheel shipped it looked like it was dropped in transit & bent the lip. Swore I'd never mess with shipping aluminum wheels after that.

chieftjs

Reaction score

Dave
Do you notice any trouble with gearing at that size?