Surfrenegade's 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade Spinal Tap Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my KJ back from the accident repairs and spent some time doing some new things. It started out as a joke to name it as the "Spinal Tap Edition". The scene from the movie below has always been one of my favorites.
"Theres something about this that is so black its like how much more black can this be. and the answer is none...none more black." - Nigal Tufnel
The Black Album | This Is Spinal Tap | Classic Clips - YouTube
Now the idea has kind of ended up sticking. :ROTFL:

Modifications as of today (9/12/2012):
Mopar Transmission Skid
Mopar Engine Skid
Front hooks
Reese class 3 hitch with trailer wiring
General Grabber AT2 245-70-16 Tires
Old Man Emu suspension springs
Bilstein shocks
front: JBA top plates / 3 conduit ring clevis lift.
rear: 3 mopar spring isos
RRO 1.5" wheel spacers
Chopped front bumper
Black Mesh Grille
Blacked out marker lights, front turn signals, and 3rd brake light with custom led strips for lighting
Black Altezza tail lights
Black painted badges
Black painted Renegade wheels
Removed all the fake fender rivets and replaced with real black ones
Line-x Premium sprayed on bumpers, fenders, rockers, and trim pieces
Yellow Xenon Fogs
Blue Xenon Headlamps
Mopar all weather mats
Jeep Aluminum pedals
Aluminum guages
Hidden Antenna
iPod adapter
3" cold air intake from grill opening to airbox

And here are the latest pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Me vs Stocker

You must be registered for see images

Things in the very near future:
Trim out the linex so I can put my front marker lights back in - finished
Replace that cracked turn signal - finished
Get someone to make me an all matte black Spinal Tap Edition decal for the tailgate :)
Install my euro spec Audi A3 side markers direct from Latvia :think: lol
Put on my matte black Renegade (Rubicon style) hood decals
Get my 265-70-16 Cooper STT tires - very rare size here in the states but finally found a set!
Gas tank skid
Front skid

Last edited:

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess David St. Hubbins was right. I guess all black is bland and depressing lol. noone likes my jeep :( oh well. i still love her

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
All black is awesome.

Dave

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the linex! I want to do that to Mr. Darcy but I don't have the time or funds right now. The black wheels look great too, good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! :) Put alot of work into it. Not as much money as previous vehicles, but have wrenched on this Jeep more :) The Line-x is so much better than I imagined. Its very easy to clean and super durable.
Went on my first wheeling adventure today in Big Bear. Great day to get away from everything. Wanted to do some more difficult stuff but was alone and afraid if i got stuck id be screwed. Had a few stream crossings which ive never done before. One was deep and fun so i did it a few times. The last time I came in way too hot and ended up ripping off my fender. Fixed them on the trail quickly and finished out the day.
Here is a link to those pics. Nothing crazy just beautiful scenery.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...3361&authkey=Gv1sRgCJSg_P2to6_6kAE&feat=email

RIGHI

Reaction score
I cant see line-x very offen in Brazil. After some time of usage, does line-x remains with a good appearance??? is it possible to remove it with no damage to the fenders???

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant see line-x very offen in Brazil. After some time of usage, does line-x remains with a good appearance??? is it possible to remove it with no damage to the fenders???

I am amazed at how good this Line-X stuff is. Its sprayed on but is self leveling so it will come out with a nice even texture. I got the premium which is supposed to hold up the longest and remain black the longest. Everything fades with time, even the best paints. Ive seen Line-x premium that was over 5 years old that still looked brand new.
No you are never getting this stuff off. Its not like any of the other bed liners ive personally seen. It goes on heavy and is like a super duty plastic material...like 1/8" thick. The nice thing is that it added structural strength to parts like the bumper. My front bumper was a cheap ebay knock off and was also cut...basically the thing flapped in the wind. Now its very sturdy and weighs probably three times what it did before the line-x

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the process for the linex? Did you have to take them all off? How much did it run? I always wanted to do that, those were the non-painted plastic grey fenders? Looks pretty good!

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you black out the grill? Paint or plasti-dip?

Ive been off the grid for a bit...having some health issues with my back and neck. The grill is stainless steel mesh. Cut out a piece for each opening in the grill then painted satin black. I pushed the grill out a bit through each opening so when you see it from the side it doesnt just sit flush but has a convex shape to it.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are a few more pics of some new things.
Replaced my cracked turn signal with new ones and darker tint. New Napa Adaptive 1 brake pads and new rotors all around. 3" intake tubing from grill opening to airbox. Surprizingly gained 1-2 mpg with that. Got new lower rear control arms.

Blurry picture of a photo shoot for the Linex website

ghost style hood decals
night

day

Last edited:

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went on my first wheeling adventure today in Big Bear. Great day to get away from everything. Wanted to do some more difficult stuff but was alone and afraid if i got stuck id be screwed. Had a few stream crossings which ive never done before. One was deep and fun so i did it a few times. The last time I came in way too hot and ended up ripping off my fender. Fixed them on the trail quickly and finished out the day.
QUOTE]

Hey Surf-- I am just south of you and dig Big Bear. I alos need someone to go wheeli'n with up there really want to hit the snow up there. I am about 1.5 - 2 hrs from u. Hit me up if u r iuntrested in going wheeli'n somtime
:favorites13:

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice photos of Big Bear I don't believe I have hit that trail yet. I usally am on the north-East side of the lake close to town.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, sounds good. Since my spine is jacked now snowboarding is out for me this season. Would be cool to get up in the snow still and do some wheeling. Send me a PM and we can work something out. They got snow on the way!

QUOTE]

Hey Surf-- I am just south of you and dig Big Bear. I alos need someone to go wheeli'n with up there really want to hit the snow up there. I am about 1.5 - 2 hrs from u. Hit me up if u r iuntrested in going wheeli'n somtime
:favorites13: