Canoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumpter1

Reaction score
It is not easy to load by myself but it does ride well.

Attachments

• 101_0825.jpg
    101_0825.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 53

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17ft Grumman I strap to my KJ. My wife has hit her head on it twice. She forgets its on the top and walked right into it when walking around the back of the Jeep. Almost knocked her out once.

I load it from the back, careful to get it over the windshield before I let it touch the front cross bar. run a strap to the stern so it doesn't rotate onto the roof. Then throw a strap across, the back cross bar, the front cross bar, tie down the front then finally go back and tighten the back strap.

Took me a couple of attempts and two dents in the roof before I mastered it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How heavy is that Canoe ??..looks to be in the 140 lb range for sure.
Where did you launch it?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice canoe sumpter... looks like a balancing act to get that on there!

Since we're sharing... my 14' Watson. A decent canoe, not high end but hey, it was free :)

This was taken at The Pinery provincial park in Ontario.

The canoe is not THAT heavy, I can only assume I was parked in such a way as to flex the suspension some!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sumpter1

Reaction score
My canoe was made by Delhi. I suspect it was made in the mid 70's and it is still in great shape. It must weigh 100+ pounds and is pretty difficult to load by myself. I also ended up with a few new scratches the first time! I suggest you remove the rubber strips from the roof top cross members to avoid damaging them.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Ry'... Those Mokai's are cool! Looks like fun!

As for the Jeep... yes, definitely could use the OME treatment! I had planned to lift it all along, but life gets in the way... my wife is disabled and isn't big on it being 3" higher. I told her I'd get her a step-stool, but so far no dice ;) Tint would be nice too, I agree!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Epic First Post Award :winner_first_h4h:

No doubt ... have you ever seen a first post that had a pic? Nicely done sumpter1 ... at the very least you spared yourself the "Pics or it didn't happen" assault! :D

I finally finished reconditioning this old fiberglass monster. Patched a hole in the side, made some new seats and a yoke, sanded for months and put a new coat (or six) of marine paint on her. I just need a big Canadian flag sticker to pull it all together :D

P.S. How many years ago did you ask me for a pic K-Dave? lol

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get one of these, or something similar.

http://www.cabelas.com/storage-transportation-cabelas-canoe-loader-rack-1.shtml

I used one that I adapted that slid directly into a 2" receiver. I probably hauled a 98" Coleman 10-15K miles with it on several vehicles.

Only problem, with a SUV is if you aren't 6"6' it can be a stretch to clear the top.

With thee, you lift up the rear and attach to the loader.\, pickup the front and walk around to the front.

THere was no way I could load by myself, combination of weight, height and not being that easy to load the rear and slide it on.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
She has seen a lot of lakes and rivers that's for sure ...including 7 days on the Missinaibi, she's fat and has a triple keel so very stable. When my better half and I go back country we pack that thing like you pack your KJ!

I made the seats and stretched the (seat belt webbing - M.E.C. climbing dept) webbing on with some vice grips and secured with MDF screws, I wish I would have lacquered them like the yoke but I used Thompson's (water seal) instead.

It is humorous (but understandable) to hear you guys complaining about straining to get your canoes on your Jeep. That's just the beginning! The real fun starts on the first 2000m portage ...lol ... with the canoe and all your camping gear on your back.

Anybody who lacks respect for the "Voyageurs" should be forced to do a min. 3 day back country trip :D Sorry you folks south of the 49th may have to look that one up. :)

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is awesome, where's Cherrie?
I don't condone drinking and driving/boating but gosh dernit when I'm manning a canoe, you'll never see me without a beer by my side.
Beer holder is the first add-on if not already equipped.
Cheers to drinking and paddling.:happy160:

She has seen a lot of lakes and rivers that's for sure ...including 7 days on the Missinaibi, she's fat and has a triple keel so very stable. When my better half and I go back country we pack that thing like you pack your KJ!

You lucky dog you. I pack the hell out of ours too, it's amazing what you can fit in a canoe if packed just right.

Anybody who lacks respect for the "Voyageurs" should be forced to do a min. 3 day back country trip :D Sorry you folks south of the 49th may have to look that one up. :)
I had to look that one up.:D Looks awesome, I love multi-day canoe trips.
You must admit, three days is a tease, though to some it would be eternity.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You must admit, three days is a tease, though to some it would be eternity.

I heard some stats the other day ... in Canada.... In the 1980's the average canoe trip was 7 days ... now it is down to just over 3. Which is why I can canoe almost for ever without seeing a single soul. Well that and being the 2nd largest country on the planet with a population of just 34 million ...lol

I have been backcountry camping for about 30 years, every trip my gear gets lighter and smaller. :D

Went out the other night after taking those pics ... for a sunset paddle. You'll NEVER guess what I saw .... Yes a BEAVER ... in Canada or a Bieber as my wife calls them now.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard some stats the other day ... in Canada.... In the 1980's the average canoe trip was 7 days ... now it is down to just over 3. Which is why I can canoe almost for ever without seeing a single soul. Well that and being the 2nd largest country on the planet with a population of just 34 million ...lol

I have been backcountry camping for about 30 years, every trip my gear gets lighter and smaller. :D

Went out the other night after taking those pics ... for a sunset paddle. You'll NEVER guess what I saw .... Yes a BEAVER ... in Canada or a Bieber as my wife calls them now.

Haha... for a while I thought his name was Justin Beaver... from Canada... how corny is that? ;)

It has been a while since we last talked canoes, Luke! Nice looking restoration job! My dad had a 16' Springbok aluminum, it had to be 4 feet wide, flat bottom, drew about 4" of water - you could go any where and it was almost impossible to tip over. A bit of a beast on a windy day though, with that flat bottom. Unfortunately it was stolen from our cottage.

I have done my share of canoe tripping as well, my dad is quite the outdoorsman, and we used to do some multi-day trips - portage is not just a strange french word to me! :D

Haven't been for any overnighters in a long time, but I still like to go for a paddle when I can!

Are you on or close to water where you are, Luke?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
There are a few marshes around here we do day trips in (lots of wildlife) and of course Georgian bay is about 10 minutes away, but I usually pack up and head even further north :D

The north end of Algonquin (Brent Access point), Massasuaga, and Killarney are a few of my favorites. Really anywhere that I can canoe for 3 or 4 days before turning around is awesome though. There is just nothing like being out in the middle of no where, no car traffic, no people, nothing but your own wits and perhaps your knowledge of fine wines to keep you alive ... I have been on trips where I did not even see an airplane in the sky for days :D

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 5 years ago had a chance to do a week in Quatico. Awesome trip, drew our water straight from the lake, didn't see another group for the whole week. 3 portages in, and I'll bet only a couple of souls in 10 years camped in those spots. Planning to take my son again when he gets out of the Navy next summer.

On a side note, I had to straighten out my nephews last week while we were up in Wisconsin. They were telling me all about finding frogs in the swamp near the mouth of the creek. Had to correct them...No such thing as a swamp in the North, all you'll find up here is marshes and bogs.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is awesome, where's Cherrie?(quote)
X2 on awesome.
I'm here, been reading. I have not canoed, I just started kayaking last year. I have a coworker that has a canoe Coleman/Pelican 17'. I have hauled it on my kayak trailer(no pic's). She and her husband and 4 year old daughter do short 3-4 hour runs with me.
I'm trying to get someone brave enough to do a full day/overnight with me. I'd even do it with a canoe:happy175::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.