Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country

Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country (http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   Help My GF Out - 2007 Chevy Aveo (http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f197/help-my-gf-out-2007-chevy-aveo-63539/)

profdlp 02-25-2018 09:09 PM

Help My GF Out - 2007 Chevy Aveo

After 18 months, my GF is FINALLY trying to sell her Chevy Aveo. Guess that year and a half of (mild) nagging on my part finally paid off... :emotions34:

Anyway, the battery was dead and nothing I tried could resurrect it, so that was $176 bucks down the drain. Got that installed this afternoon and insisted she take it for a test drive with me following just in case.

Long story short, but it runs great except for a definite wobble in the steering when decelerating. This happens even if you just coast to a stop on a straight road, so I doubt it is related to the brakes. I drove it briefly myself and knew right away what she was talking about. The engine is strong, it has plenty of pep, shifts (automatic transmission) smoothly up and down in the right spots, etc.

Over the previous two years that she drove it she had new tires put on, radiator replaced, full brake job, new ball joints, and probably two or three more things that I have forgotten about. When her dad died suddenly 18 months ago she inherited his Kia with only 700 miles on it (he bought it right before he got sick) so the Aveo has basically been sitting in the garage since then. The Aveo was not doing this a year ago when we moved and she drove it from the old apartment to our new house and parked it in the garage, so whatever happened, happened while it was sitting

She has a prospective buyer who wants to look at it next weekend. She is asking $1200 but is willing to negotiate. Obviously after just spending $176 on a battery, a major repair at this point would mean that it probably would make more sense to just have it towed off by one of those charity "donate your car for a tax break" places. (She doesn't make enough to have much to gain by a tax write-off, though.) Since she already has a quite newish car using it as a trade-in is not an option. Her only real hope of getting anything out of it is for it to be a simple and inexpensive fix (assuming she can find an honest mechanic who won't try and cheat her), or to have yours truly diagnose the problem and fix it for not too much money in parts.

I know this is a Jeep forum, but if anyone here could point me in a likely direction to check things out it would be much appreciated. She'll be selling it as-is but I doubt anyone would offer anything with a question mark hanging over it as it stands now.

tommudd 02-25-2018 09:40 PM

So does she have by it as is price ?
May be easier to say here it is , people are always looking for a work car, cheap, runs cheap etc.
But I jack up the front and see if anything is loose, check tires if it has set for a while ( like stated ) it could have some flat spots on the tires. But doesn't make sense if only decelerating.

profdlp 02-25-2018 09:48 PM

I had to put air in all four tires but they look fine. When I was following her I could see no wobble at all, whether accelerating, decelerating, or steady speed. It only happens when decelerating, and does that whether you are braking or just coasting to a stop. When I drove it I tried applying the brakes rather firmly (but not enough to come to a screeching halt or anything) and it holds straight as can be. The steering wheel has a good bit of bounce in it no matter what you do whenever you are slowing down.

I'll crawl under there in the morning and see if I can spot anything. It was getting dark by the time we got back from our test drives tonight.

LibertyTC 02-26-2018 01:42 AM

Overall inspection time. Try swapping front to rear tires & see what happens...
Shifted belt, or brake related issue, rusted? While swapping tires check for play in the wheel hub/bearings, & as Tom mentioned, anything visibly loose?
Check for movement in rack/balljoints etc.

turblediesel 02-26-2018 02:40 AM

Sell it as is.

It'll get them where they need to go.

Radio work?

HoosierJeeper 02-26-2018 08:32 AM

I'd take it for a free alignment check somewhere, they'll probably find something loose.

If the ad for it doesn't say anything like "drives like new" then I wouldn't bring it up to the buyer. Just let them drive it and be ready to drop the price a bit.

tjkj2002 02-27-2018 01:02 PM

Only a few things can cause a "wobble" in the steering wheel while decelerating only.

-Brakes(ruled that out by "coasting" causes same issue)
-Tires
-CV axles
-Transmission

It does not have electric PS so steering issue is highly unlikely.

tommudd 02-27-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profdlp (Post 731710)

Obviously after just spending $176 on a battery, a major repair at this point would mean that it probably would make more sense to just have it towed off by one of those charity "donate your car for a tax break" places.

charity "donate your car for a tax break" places, like Mudds Garage ? :gr_grin::gr_grin: I need a cheap work car to run back and forth down here.
Some good coilovers , slightly lifted ,............:emotions34:

renegade 04 02-27-2018 11:18 PM

I would put money on the fact that the tires are flat spotted after sitting that long.

profdlp 02-28-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade 04 (Post 731829)
I would put money on the fact that the tires are flat spotted after sitting that long.

Wouldn't I get a steady shoop-shoop going down the road in that case?

She spoke to the prospective buyer today who thinks it is no big deal. We'll see if he goes through with the sale on Saturday after he drives it. I have been putting in OT at work and have not had much time to look at it. :blah:

I appreciate the input. If it sells, cool. If not, I will be working my way through all your suggestions. :waytogo: