Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > KJ General Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

KJ General Discussion

yellow sludge in oil fill cap

This is a discussion on yellow sludge in oil fill cap within the KJ General Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Yikes! That much sludge and i'd be VERY worried!...

General discussion forum for KJ Liberty's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Yikes! That much sludge and i'd be VERY worried!

JeepKJ Country Member #003
-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac
-42RLE Automatic (perhaps the first KJ with the 42RLE)
-235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's

Please help support the site! With out your support, we wouldn't be here!!! To contribute CLICK HERE!!!

They arrested me for being drunk in pubLIC.....I didn't wanna be drunk in pubLIC....I wanted to be drunk in a bar!!!! They threw me in pubLIC....arrest them!!!

2003KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Eddo

I've seen more than that on mine and it is still running fine. As long as it is not in the engine its probably fine. The plastic fill tube is at the top of the engine so that is where it all collects, plus is doesn't get that hot.

Also, check you PCV valve if you are concerned. It could be the PCV valve needs to be changed. If the valve is not following correctly, then the damp condensation is just collection in the tube instead of brawn into the intake burnt off.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have the same sludge on mine. I drive 4 miles to work so short trips is a factor.

There is a similar thread titled "Sludge in oil filer neck...." on lostkj.com
Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

I added some oil into my engine yesterday and i found some yellow sludge as well. It was very little though.

So what is concidered to be a short trip? I drive about 4 miles to work one way. and then 10 miles one way to my girlfriends house. I do about an Avg of 30 miles on most days.
Putnam Class 3 5000lbs Hitch - OEM Front Tow Hooks
Ventvisor In-channel Window Visors
Sirius Radio - Driver Side Mounted Maglite

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2539200

http://www.myjeepspace.com/ChiefRudy
ChiefRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

I would say it all has to do with the type of oil you use, the humidity in your area, and the amount of short trips you take.
-OME/Rustys Lift
-Powertrax No-slip
-Flowmaster 50 Series SUV
-245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS
Jeepsters Gallery
JeepJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ChiefRudy
I added some oil into my engine yesterday and i found some yellow sludge as well. It was very little though.

So what is concidered to be a short trip? I drive about 4 miles to work one way. and then 10 miles one way to my girlfriends house. I do about an Avg of 30 miles on most days.
The book calls anything under 10 miles a "short trip"....atleast I think it's 10....could be 7, I'll have to look it up. I believe it's mentioned under the different service schedules.

I would definitely call 4 miles a short trip....the 10 mile commute to your girlfriend's house isn't bad at all.

Does your engine get completely warmed up before you reach the end of your 4 mile trip? If so, for roughly how long? If you do short distances, but you get it up to operating temp and it can stay there for a little bit before you get to your destination and shut it off, it helps to prevent sludge build up.

I'd be a little more concerned if you're adding oil to your 2006 model engine, unless you were doing an oil change?

-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac

Please help support the site! With out your support, we wouldn't be here!!! To contribute CLICK HERE!!!

They arrested me for being drunk in pubLIC.....I didn't wanna be drunk in pubLIC....I wanted to be drunk in a bar!!!! They threw me in pubLIC....arrest them!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 2003KJ

The book calls anything under 10 miles a "short trip"....atleast I think it's 10....could be 7, I'll have to look it up. I believe it's mentioned under the different service schedules.

I would definitely call 4 miles a short trip....the 10 mile commute to your girlfriend's house isn't bad at all.

Does your engine get completely warmed up before you reach the end of your 4 mile trip? If so, for roughly how long? If you do short distances, but you get it up to operating temp and it can stay there for a little bit before you get to your destination and shut it off, it helps to prevent sludge build up.

I'd be a little more concerned if you're adding oil to your 2006 model engine, unless you were doing an oil change?

Yes my engine completely warms up before I get to work and since itís the winter itís warmed up before I leave the house. For days I donít warm it up before I leave, the engine is usually warmed up before I get on highways and thats the majority of the 4-5 miles i do to work.

I was adding oil to the engine because I had an oil change done at the local Firestone about week ago and I was checking the level. It needed like 1/2 quart. Witch is normal after an oil change.

The next oil change Iíll be doing myself and I plan on buy Mobil One Full Synthetic.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #28 (permalink)

Yes my engine completely warms up before I get to work and since itís the winter itís warmed up before I leave the house. For days I donít warm it up before I leave, the engine is usually warmed up before I get on highways and thats the majority of the 4-5 miles i do to work.

I was adding oil to the engine because I had an oil change done at the local Firestone about week ago and I was checking the level. It needed like 1/2 quart. Witch is normal after an oil change.

The next oil change Iíll be doing myself and I plan on buy Mobil One Full Synthetic.
Since you say it gets warmed up before you get on the highway, and the majority of your commute is at highway speeds, I wouldn't be that concerned with it. I definitely recommend switching to synthetic though. It will help to prevent the sludge build up.

-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac

Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #29 (permalink)

Since you say it gets warmed up before you get on the highway, and the majority of your commute is at highway speeds, I wouldn't be that concerned with it. I definitely recommend switching to synthetic though. It will help to prevent the sludge build up.

Thanks =D>

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Thanks =D>
You're welcome! \/

-2003 Khaki KJ Sport V-6
-NP 231 Command-Trac